Help Wanted: Can't Download anything with either mozilla or IE

As topic states I can't download images, torrents or any type of file using either browser and Google came up with a few out dated answers that really didn't serve much purpose and generally were off topic. Oddly enough, I can download just fine with Curse Client but that's a very limited application. Currently using win7 with the latest version of both browsers.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, um...what happens when you try? Do you get any errors or does it just sit there? Does it work in Google Chrome, or not even there?

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Try purging your DNS cache.

win + r, 'ipconfig /flush dns', enter

Or open a command prompt and type 'ipconfig /flushdns' there.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Deleted
    Like Eternalwhitemoon said, if you can let us know what happens when you try it'll be much easier assisting you

Download boxes open and everything looks great then whenever any file finishes it's never there. Also when i do "win + r, 'ipconfig /flush dns', enter" then window opens for a split second then closes. Haven't tried chrome but in my current state I don't believe I have that option...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by reathe; 2011-04-02 at 10:27 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by reathe View Post
    Download boxes open and everything looks great then whenever any file finishes it's never there. Also when i do "win + r, 'ipconfig /flush dns', enter" then window opens for a split second then closes. Haven't tried chrome but in my current state I don't believe I have that option...
    Do you know your download directory?

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Also when i do "win + r, 'ipconfig /flush dns', enter" then window opens for a split second then closes.
    It's supposed to. Flushing DNS doesn't take very long.

There's also a chance your external DNS server (usually whatever your ISP gives your gateway to forward to your PC) isn't working properly, so you could try setting your DNS to Google's public servers to see if that helps.

Detailed instructions to do that are here: http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html

Hope it works.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Conditional View Post
    Do you know your download directory?
    This is where my thoughts were heading. If it goes through the whole process of downloading something, and it's "not there" it's likely you're not looking in the right spot.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Hmmm...I'm 99.99999999999% I know where mmy directory is but I'll give you a visual example.

And the open box is greyed out and won't let me click it. When I go to the directory I specified the file isn't there either.

Since you seem to be saving to your desktop for whatever reason, does it show up on your desktop?
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

When I go to the directory I specified the file isn't there

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Have you tried minimizing your browser and looking at the icons on your desktop?

That's not what I asked, I asked you if it's on your desktop. Yes I realize that the Desktop is simply a folder in your User folder, but there's also a Desktop folder in the Public user folder and the Default User folder. If it's saving to one of those somehow but thinking it's YOUR Desktop, it won't show up. Plus the desktop is usually not the best place to download to or toss random junk in.

Deleted
    Firefox autoscan can sometimes cause this problem you could disable it and try again to see if it makes a difference

type "about:config" in your address bar and find the preference called browser.download.manager.scanwhendone and set it to false

though if it doesnt fix the problem i would recommend turning it back on just to be safe from the evil little cretins on the interwebs that want to do you PC harm

if it does work and allows you to download again make sure you have the latest firefox version installed and try re-enabling

Quote Originally Posted by Concentrate View Post
    Firefox autoscan can sometimes cause this problem you could disable it and try again to see if it makes a difference

type "about:config" in your address bar and find the preference called browser.download.manager.scanwhendone and set it to false

though if it doesnt fix the problem i would recommend turning it back on just to be safe from the evil little cretins on the interwebs that want to do you PC harm

if it does work and allows you to download again make sure you have the latest firefox version installed and try re-enabling

Fixed it. TYVM

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    That's not what I asked, I asked you if it's on your desktop. Yes I realize that the Desktop is simply a folder in your User folder, but there's also a Desktop folder in the Public user folder and the Default User folder. If it's saving to one of those somehow but thinking it's YOUR Desktop, it won't show up. Plus the desktop is usually not the best place to download to or toss random junk in.
    It happened regardless of the folder I choose to download in

Did it fix it for IE too? I only ask because something that fixes Firefox should of course only fix Firefox.

Its your user account. I just had to deal with this at work. To tell, try a new user account and see if you can download anything. If its not that look at security software? Have you tried to use MSCONFIG to see if its something in the start up?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubedo View Post
    Its your user account. I just had to deal with this at work. To tell, try a new user account and see if you can download anything. If its not that look at security software? Have you tried to use MSCONFIG to see if its something in the start up?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nothing I can discern. Everything else is turned off

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    Did it fix it for IE too? I only ask because something that fixes Firefox should of course only fix Firefox.
    Just tried. Now it won't even load a single page.
    Last edited by reathe; 2011-04-03 at 02:18 AM.

Did you make a new user account?

Disable AVG and try again.