Issue with computer.. possibly overheating

Something i have noticed recently...

Ever since i downloaded the windows 7 sp1, as well as updating my drivers for my graphics card...

If i have lets say a facebook game open.. and world of warcraft.. every bout 5 minutes my fan will run loud for about 10-15seconds then go back to normal.

Doesnt happen unless im playing a game, so im assuming it means my graphics card is working.

THE QUESTION:
    Is this a bad thing...
    Is there a program that will allow you to see the temperature of your cpu.. so i can make sure my computer isnt over heating

*~*A true troll, doesn't even realize he is trolling until he sees me behind him with my troll hunting axe

Deleted
    I found speedfan to be quite a useful program when it comes to checking temperatures. I had the same problem before a couple of computers ago and seeing as it is happening only when you're gaming, sounds like a safe bet that your hardware running hot is the issue.

It isn't necessarily a bad thing, depends on the exact temperatures you are hitting.

15+ Year Old Account
    I consider SpeedFan to be pretty much useless. It's just been wrong too many times. For CPU temperatures, use Core Temp or Real Temp. For GPU temperatures, use GPU-Z.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    I consider SpeedFan to be pretty much useless. It's just been wrong too many times. For CPU temperatures, use Core Temp or Real Temp. For GPU temperatures, use GPU-Z.
    HWMonitor is a good one. By the same people who made CPU-Z.

All this means is the new drivers you downloaded added fan speed control for set GPU temps. It's more than likely the card is running the same temps it was before, the fan now just more effectively kicks in probably around 70c to keep it closer to that temperature.

Probably helpful for adding life to your card, however it can get loud.

Depending on what card it is, there are tons of ways to monitor temps, indicated above. I personally use CoreTemp and EVGA Precision.