Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

[Music] Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

The album is set to be released on 12th of April, but, as usual unfortunately, it leaked into the Internet two days ago.

Now the awesome part - band decided that they don't want people to listen leaked, low-fi version of their songs and published WHOLE album in AMAZING quality on their site, completely free of charge!

Whether this move was like shooting in their own knee or opposite - we'll see. I was and still am absolutely sure that I WILL still buy the album. I'm die-hard fan of FF since the very beginning and this album is an absolute breakthrough.

http://wastinglight.foofighters.com

What do you think?

Saw them a few weeks ago and they played most of the new album live, was pretty insane.
    2981-6619-3396

brb, being blown away.
    "Care about 'er? I love her! I'd kill everyone in the world and myself if she wanted it!"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bionotics View Post
    Saw them a few weeks ago and they played most of the new album live, was pretty insane.
    Lucky you

They are awesome! Worth noting, album was recorded on analog tapes, which multiplies the feeling of ol' classic hard-rock even more. This is how rock should still be, no made-up boys with black tears (oh dear.) or electronic sound. Oldschool rocks!

Amazing. Is it possible to download the album off the site ?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    It sounds good, one of their better albums in recent years in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Love the album, the first track is a face melter

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Good stuff. Only one I wouldn't listen to again is White Limo. The rest of them are pretty awesome.

15+ Year Old Account
    White Limo is hard to understand, I admit, but I think it's obvious obeisance towards "Wattershed" and "Weenie Beenie" from first Foo Fighters album - "Foo Fighters" also, if it's relevant - Lemmy Kilmister starred in this video

Deleted
    I love them all except White Limo, unfortunately.

Good stuff.

15+ Year Old Account
    After two days of listening over and over I'm still stunned. Among all these "modern rockers" this album and band are shining. Finally something, uhm.. fresh, if I can name as "fresh" type of music which has just made a big, promising comeback

Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    I don't think it's the right move for the band, as a leak would be expected. However, I think it's a nice/cool move. I've never really followed the band, but I like how most of their tracks follow a pattern (completely non-sarcastic): start off slow and end with Grohl screaming lyrics.
    I think it's a smart move. It's the Netflix/Hulu effect. If media is readily available to the consumer, then there's no need to go out of the way to pirate it. They gain respect from customers, and then the customers will hopefully buy the next album knowing that they put the previous whole album on their website for free. At least that's how my way of thinking is.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashpotaters View Post
    I think it's a smart move. It's the Netflix/Hulu effect. If media is readily available to the consumer, then there's no need to go out of the way to pirate it. They gain respect from customers, and then the customers will hopefully buy the next album knowing that they put the previous whole album on their website for free. At least that's how my way of thinking is.
    Exactly! Although, it is kinda unexpected situation, especially in era when fighting with piracy is very common and popular (vide Metallica and Napster). The way Foo Fighters dealt with it is.. original. They didn't lose anything, their album was out anyways and they must have shocked the pirates with their reaction.

I would have liked to see them do what Radiohead did with The King of Limbs and just release it themselves off their website.

Anyways, the album is so flipping good. It reminds of The Color and the Shape.

I was lucky enough to see them twice during their string of secret/surprise shows. Seen them total of 15 times now.

I'm seeing them in London at Milton Keyes Bowl in July as a nice college graduation gift to myself. So excited!
    Trent Lane: All right, here's the plan. I'll sit right here with my foot on the accelerator, ready to burn rubber.
    Jane Lane: Trent, pull over there and make sure to turn off the car in case you fall asleep.
    Trent Lane: Alternate plan. Cool.

15+ Year Old Account
    I simply cannot find a weak link in this album... White Limo is kinda different in comparison to others, but also simply amazing. What about your favourite track?

Die hard foo's fan been waiting for this album for a long time so didn't want to spoil it by getting a pirated version. Most other people who appreciate the band would feel the same way. Didnt know they put it on there website so only listening to it now. So far it's much better than I expected.

For me it make's no difference whether they done this or not, it just mean's I can listen to them sooner because i'll still be buying the album. Just like I did with all the other albums. Foo's albums is the only real album collection i've cared to have all of.

Edit: Last time I seen them was when Chili pepper's headlined Slane Castle. Dave Grohl was drumming with Queen's of the Stoneage (before lullabies and Paralyze) that day too. Joe Castillo I don't think was in the band at the time, as I only remember Dave Grohl drumming for them before playing his set with foo's. It was an amazing day.
    Last edited by Geomatician; 2011-04-08 at 01:43 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Exactly what I feel. They'll be also releasing cover compilation, even tho I got plenty of B-Sides thru singles - I'll be getting that one too. They are simply amazing, not very commercial, not fake, not "trendy", not "shiny, glamorous superstars".. And still they beat everyone else in terms of rock.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll have to check this one out tonight... kinda hard to DL and listen to it while still at work. Thanks for the info!

Deleted
    are you telling me lemmy from motorhead is starring in one of the songs! awesome!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caumen View Post
    are you telling me lemmy from motorhead is starring in one of the songs! awesome!
    HE IS! And he is Limo driver! freaking awesome!

---------- Post added 2011-04-08 at 08:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    I'll have to check this one out tonight... kinda hard to DL and listen to it while still at work. Thanks for the info!
    no problem, buddy!