Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Wow are allowing you to move you player frame and target frame, which can already be done, they are slowly getting there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Customisation is rather a can of worms.
    Each person will have different ideas as to what is or is not a necessary feature in their opinion so really blizzard cannot hope to cater to all of them with the default UI nor could the options in Rift.
    Instead blizzard were brave enough to open it up through addons to give a huge amount of choice, even if less accessible to the average user it offers considerable more control than any in-game options could achieve.
    With Rift you are stuck with limited options.
    Indeed. You can never make everyone happy with default options because everyone have their own ideas of how they want things to look and function. WoW does not need an elaborate default UI because anyone can create and/or pick and choose whatever addons they want to fulfill all their needs, every single thing can be customized to your own liking. I haven't seen the default WoW UI for over 6 years, I don't even remember what it looks like anymore if there have been any changes since very early vanilla.

Rift's UI is horrible in comparison. If there's something you don't like about it there's nothing you can do about it. Yes it lets me move stuff around, whooptidoo that does nothing for me when I still have to look at the ugly unit frames, the extremely annoying map that doesn't work like I want it to or the stupid target combat text that can't be moved (Seriously who came up with the idea of anchoring it above your target's head? When fighting a large enemy as melee there is no way to see what damage you're doing or if you're getting misses/dodge etc, seriously annoying)

Seriously, the non-customizable UI was one of the two main reasons I dumped Rift after trying it during the beta.

As a comparison: (Notice price being a non-issue for this example)
    Would you rather get an apartment with furniture, that you may or may not like, already in it and the only thing you're allowed to do is move said furniture around.

or

Would you rather get an empty apartment and be able to choose any furniture you want?

I'd pick the second option any day, I prefer to spend some extra time on making things look exactly as I want them than having to live with something that someone else thought was good.

Man, I haven't use the default WoW UI in 6 years. I have almost forgot what it looks like.
    Last edited by Daswolfen; 2011-04-04 at 04:04 AM.

lol the fact that rift wont allow addons will be its downfall

Quote Originally Posted by BruceInc View Post
    lol the fact that rift wont allow addons will be its downfall
    Rift wont allow addons YET, in the future they could change there mind once they fix all the issues. But.. you dont need any addons? They have the Parser "addon" what is outside your game client. And you can pretty much move everything to where you need it anyway. Both UIs are good on there own merits. Rift becue you dont need any addons at all just play and move things as you need to. but WoWs is good because of the addons and you can design it EXACTLY to your taste, Sadly tho i came a WoW UI addict and would change it everyweek :P Rift stops that addiction lol

Quote Originally Posted by Cr3aT1v3F3aR View Post
    I mean I wouldn't even begin to be able to think of addons you would need.
    http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...-anything.aspx

WoWs base UI is garbage for sure, but it takes 10-15 minutes to set up a great UI from scratch with addons so it's not really a problem. The ideal would of course be that the UI was good to begin with, but with the addons we have today it isn't the most pressing issue.

I do realize that RIFT has gotten many of their ideas from WoW the most successful MMORPG in the market still to this day. But I wonder if Blizzard has anything in store to make their UI a lot more customizable like RIFT. Now I am not a WoW hater. I have been playing since Vanilla and still love the game to this day. I have had my fair share of burnouts and taken long breaks. Longest was about a year. I did try RIFT,but ultimately my computer couldn't handle it as well as I had hoped. My most favorite thing from RIFT was how customizable the UI was. I mean I wouldn't even begin to be able to think of addons you would need. RIFT has all the things you need.

I hope one day Blizzard makes a UI as customizable as RIFT. I also hope they get rid of the clunky UI with the Gryphons, or whatever on each side and make it more customizable/plain and more sharp looking so to speak like RIFT. Just wondering what everyone else thinks about that! And what their ideas for a new UI for WoW would be realistically! Not something where you have every addon you need all in one UI! Much more difficult than what people might think it is adding in all that! Thank you in advance!
    I’m sorry am I missing something to move and change anything you only need 1 addon, i dont use it as i build my own but i think its "move anything", the Blizz UI is far more customizable than the rift UI, I haven’t found 1 thing I can’t change, however im a blank canvas man, as in the default UI is crap so I build my own. Can you build your own UI on Rift? nope didn’t think so. Blizz has made there UI customizable via code/addons. IF you don’t like the ui you can build your own. I would say that’s as customizable as it gets.

P.s Just turn of the griffons then lol
    Last edited by Teshadin; 2011-04-04 at 10:57 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Personally, the Rift UI looks more like the LOTRO UI in many ways. And you can customize the UI in LOTRO about as well as you can in Rift. I agree that it would be nice to have more customization. But apparently, in 4.1 or 4.2, you will be able to move around the unit frames like you can the focus frame. Which removes the functionality of a lot of addons that did that with the default unit frames.
    The RIFT UI is the LOTRO UI and the WAR UI because all three games are designed on the same game engine.

/sniped
    I hope one day Blizzard makes a UI as customizable as RIFT
    . I also hope they get rid of the clunky UI with the Gryphons, or whatever on each side and make it more customizable/plain and more sharp looking so to speak like RIFT. Just wondering what everyone else thinks about that! And what their ideas for a new UI for WoW would be realistically! Not something where you have every addon you need all in one UI! Much more difficult than what people might think it is adding in all that! Thank you in advance!
    Sorry, but WoW has the MOST customizable UI among the games I ve played. You only thinked Rift as "more customized" because you aint not accustomed to searching for addons or too lazy to do it. With a simple addon like move anything, WoW is as "customized" as the great Rift, and can become much more.

Deleted
    One of the reasons I can't play any other MMO is basically the fact that I can't play with the UI. Being able to move the UF's etc is not enough. It's all the art and colors etc. that I hate.
    WoW's AddOn system is brilliant for this, where almost the only limitation you have is your imagination.

I even start "hating" other games because I have to play with their UI's. Damn you WoW. Damn you.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am pretty sure I know what addons are...Pretty sure I know how to put my own UI together...I have even created a few addons for myself...The major point was...I would like an MMO where I don't have to download any addons. Log in and play...Mostly RIFT has that kinda UI...You can move everything around without having to download "MOVEANYTHING" which I have used before...You guys are talking about WoW being the most customizable UI out there...Maybe so, but to do so you have to download a bunch of crap...Which personally I don't care to...No my computer isn't shitty...It can handle WoW just fine and many other games "WITH ADDONS", but the point is ONCE AGAIN...I hope one day I can log into an MMO and not have to download a bunch of crap to get a UI to look the way I want...That I can get a UI to look the way I want it to within itself...

Deleted
    I do realize that RIFT has gotten many of their ideas from WoW the most successful MMORPG in the market still to this day. But I wonder if Blizzard has anything in store to make their UI a lot more customizable like RIFT. Now I am not a WoW hater. I have been playing since Vanilla and still love the game to this day. I have had my fair share of burnouts and taken long breaks. Longest was about a year. I did try RIFT,but ultimately my computer couldn't handle it as well as I had hoped. My most favorite thing from RIFT was how customizable the UI was. I mean I wouldn't even begin to be able to think of addons you would need. RIFT has all the things you need.

I hope one day Blizzard makes a UI as customizable as RIFT. I also hope they get rid of the clunky UI with the Gryphons, or whatever on each side and make it more customizable/plain and more sharp looking so to speak like RIFT. Just wondering what everyone else thinks about that! And what their ideas for a new UI for WoW would be realistically! Not something where you have every addon you need all in one UI! Much more difficult than what people might think it is adding in all that! Thank you in advance!
    go to curse.com typ : actionbar .. tada gone is ur problem < Edit : seems like u know what addons are and ur just 2 lazy to download them?

I am pretty sure I know what addons are...Pretty sure I know how to put my own UI together...I have even created a few addons for myself...The major point was...I would like an MMO where I don't have to download any addons. Log in and play...Mostly RIFT has that kinda UI...You can move everything around without having to download "MOVEANYTHING" which I have used before...You guys are talking about WoW being the most customizable UI out there...Maybe so, but to do so you have to download a bunch of crap...Which personally I don't care to...No my computer isn't shitty...It can handle WoW just fine and many other games "WITH ADDONS", but the point is ONCE AGAIN...I hope one day I can log into an MMO and not have to download a bunch of crap to get a UI to look the way I want...That I can get a UI to look the way I want it to within itself...
    im sorry but you are wrong, the problem is, RIFT DONT HAVE ALL YOU NEED, cause when i say YOU, i say not just you creativefear, but you players, anyone has his own needs, i played rift and feel a need of somethings that i can put in wow, maybe yourself in th future ill miss something to, and whn that happens, sadly, you cant do anything about it but "move it" in your screen

Amazing sign by Sokogeka

Deleted
    Sure, you just start making this default UI that everyone likes, without having the need for addons.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    As just about nothing in my UI is default Blizz, I'm perfectly fine with WoW's UI vs. Rift's UI. As it is, I'm itching for some addons to make Rift's UI sleeker and take up less screen space. I live and breathe addons.

You are lucky to have anything you want, but I played Rift in beta and to my taste, it was just horrible. Now what solution do you propose? Beside rearranging UI elements which I did to no avail?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftech View Post
    Man, I haven't use the default WoW UI in 6 years. I have almost forgot what it looks like.
    Haha and I've been using default UI for five years now, tried different ones but didn't like at all

On-topic: When I first saw picture from Rift UI, I was shocked; so much copied from WoW that it's unbelievable. But well, if it's good and working, why not to copy? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Nirse View Post
    Haha and I've been using default UI for five years now, tried different ones but didn't like at all

On-topic: When I first saw picture from Rift UI, I was shocked; so much copied from WoW that it's unbelievable. But well, if it's good and working, why not to copy? :P
    Or the fact that WoW copied theres from EQ? Making claims like that is like saying Call of Duty games or other shooters copied Duck Hunt.

WoW copied plenty from EQ and it doesn't bother me. Why does it bother Rifties that their game copied WoW?

Someone mentioned hating how things attached to top of mob and obscured text but I'm pretty sure that is fixed or immediately in line to get fixed.
    Last edited by Focault; 2011-04-04 at 02:28 PM.