Removing files from extern harddisk

A few days ago my laptop broke. Fixing it is too expensive, so I am scavenging it by selling/ re-using the working parts. I've put my harddisk in one of those cases that makes it an extern harddisk. My question is can I delete the Windows folder, so I can have more room? Will it still be usuable after the I deleted it.
    Lois Lane, Lana Lang & Lori Lemaris, lasciviously licking lollipops at a London landmark.

Deleted
    you can delete the windows folder from the external disk IF you are sure that you never want to boot that windows installation from that disk ever again. so basically, if you plan on using the disk for something else, sure.

note though, that a default windows installation also has other files outside of c:\windows such as the pagefile.sys... also, make sure that you dont have anything saved under the win folder (something valuable or pr0n or whatever...)

Deleted
    Take a magnet to it... ;-)

Just format it (I personally use exFAT for my external HDD but that's because I use it on more than Windows), and Bob's your uncle. Well only format it if you don't mind losing all the files on it :P

Windows Essentals and walmarebits. I got two fake rogue programs recently one real nasty. Vista total something. It would let me do anything expect in safemode. Malwarebytes got it off and back to normal.

If you haven't put anything on it yet you should go ahead and re-format it.

Deleted
    don't format the disk unless you dont want ANYTHING on the logical volumes in it. from what i read, you still have data on it that you want to keep, but dont want to keep the old windows installation... as mentioned, just erase the files.

@ OPs second question:
    each windows has its own folder, if you (assumtion) added the external laptop disk as d: on your normal computer, you would have:
    c:\windows
    d:\windows

you can erase the windows folder that you are NOT using (and never plan on using!!) (d:\windows)

unless you misconfigured your system, you wont have a problem

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pak52b View Post
    don't format the disk unless you dont want ANYTHING on the logical volumes in it.
    We kinda said that ;-)

Deleted
    ofc.. just taking a magnet to it is a bit drastic for someone wanting to remove one folder and its contents

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pak52b View Post
    ofc.. just taking a magnet to it is a bit drastic for someone wanting to remove one folder and its contents
    Well it's the sure fire way of getting rid of folders on a HDD.

But good luck using the HDD again ^^

Easiest way to sort out old disc like that for reuse is copying over all files you want to save into your new computer and then format the old external disc. After that the external disc is like brand new and you can use it for anything you like.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Get close to one of these

Around 1,5 tesla, enough to wipe pretty much everything with magnetic data.

Build something like this.

Thanks for all the replies.

I don't want to format it, because i dont want to loose some files. Windows folder is about 20gb, I can use that for something more valuable.
    Lois Lane, Lana Lang & Lori Lemaris, lasciviously licking lollipops at a London landmark.

While you're at it enable the hidden files and then delete everything else that windows has on there.

Deleted
    I hope you're not suggesting the deletion of the Users folder with that image above. (At least until you're certain that everything has been appropriately extracted)

He's converting it to a storage drive with his stuff in a separate folder from what I understand.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fysi View Post
    Take a magnet to it... ;-)

Just format it (I personally use exFAT for my external HDD but that's because I use it on more than Windows), and Bob's your uncle. Well only format it if you don't mind losing all the files on it :P
    Fucking magnets, how do they work?!

Had to!

Magnet is great idea to not get the HDD working ever again. Yes, I know (hope) it was a joke from people, but still...

Destroying the low level format with any tools, be it software or big magnet will probably make modern HDD unusable.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.