Thread: fast HDD

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

fast HDD

seen some pretty good reviews of the samsung F4. http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/revie...gb-hard-drive/
    Seems pretty fast.

I would be totally fine with only 320gb of storage (in addition to my current 150gb barracuda..)
    If i were to get a F4 (for frapsing) Should WoW be on the slower drive and fraps on the faster one? Or which way.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, they still sell drives that size that are not SSD? Wut?

Get a WD Caviar Black 1-2TB, they are fast enough for recording and you get lots of space (which you will need unless you only record 5 minutes and jump out and edit).

Seems like a poor mans SSD, if it even is cheap enough.

You're more than good with "normal" 1TB F3 as well, absolutely no need to waste space with 320GB HDD.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    Seems like a poor mans SSD, if it even is cheap enough.

You're more than good with "normal" 1TB F3 as well, absolutely no need to waste space with 320GB HDD.
    Found the F4 the OP is talking about on Newegg for only $45 with several rather rave reviews. Not too shabby....
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Even a Caviar Green is fast enough for recording 1080P@30FPS. At least on the first 40% of the drive. Might be too slow at the back.

Have to remember recording is streamed data, so the heads aren't wasting time seeking... unless you are trying to record to an over half full or heavily fragmented drive.
    red panda red panda red panda!

I would agree if you can afford it. The price per GB will be much better with a 1TB drive, not sure on 2TB, i'll have to look.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Found the F4 the OP is talking about on Newegg for only $45 with several rather rave reviews. Not too shabby....
    I guess it's an okay choice for someone who can't afford SSD in that case. But still, it loses in random access time to the SSD by fuckloads, strange that the reviewer didn't mention anything about that. A good random access time is just as important factor for system drive.

Well considering the OP was going to use it for FRAPsing, OR the system drive when the system drive is most likely worse, I'd say it's an upgrade in either case.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Seeing how the 300GB SSD I've been looking to put in my laptop costs comparably ~710USD, it's rather cheap! :'D

From what I can tell in the OP's post the hard drive isn't worth it. Any 7200RPM hard drive runs about the same. The only reason this rates higher on test is because the fact that hard drive speed test slow down as they reach the end of the platter, bigger platters have more of a drop off.

Unless you are going for a SSD, don't waste you money on anything less then a 1TB or higher.

1TB - 54.99 - free shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145304

2TB - 119.99 - Free shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145473

3TB - 179.99 - free shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145472
    "Gauging the health of a game by reading its forums is akin to gauging the health of a community by visiting its hospitals." - Ghostcrawler quoting someone else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Seeing how the 300GB SSD I've been looking to put in my laptop costs comparably ~710USD, it's rather cheap! :'D
    Whai! Just whai!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Whai! Just whai!
    Because I want a laptop! And I want it to be quieter, lighter and more energy-efficient!
    But still be able to have movies on it without needing an external.
    Link.

Deleted
    Okay.. seems that im gonna use this 150gb 6 year old Sata1 hdd as my system drive and get a 1TB F3 just for.. fraps.
    999.8 gigabytes of movie storage. Pretty much 900gb more than i need

Deleted
    Because I want a laptop! And I want it to be quieter, lighter and more energy-efficient!
    But still be able to have movies on it without needing an external.
    Damnit, a 160gb is enough for that
    (Although to be fair, I bought mine back when they were around 4000 SEK)

Quote Originally Posted by Reguilea View Post
    Okay.. seems that im gonna use this 150gb 6 year old Sata1 hdd as my system drive and get a 1TB F3 just for.. fraps.
    999.8 gigabytes of movie storage. Pretty much 900gb more than i need
    The 1TB F3 comes with 931,25 usable GB! And I always confuse which one is GB and which one is GiB, so I won't go into that..

---------- Post added 2011-04-04 at 06:54 PM ----------

Damnit, a 160gb is enough for that
    More expensive/GB :/
    But I suppose. But then I need to swap back-and-forth a lot with an external, thus wearing it down unnecessarily. Meh. FML. I'll probably go for a 160GB then, moving the HDD out into a Harddrive-bay and using that as an external.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you say seven...hundred...dollars...

I have an 80gb Intel 2nd gen SSD in my laptop. A lot of people don't think it's enough but idk why ? I have WoW up to Cata, sc2 with all the recent patches, my entire P90x workout program ( 8gb of videos ), all my vacation pictures and 100+ rotating wallpapers and the usual ( ccleaner, fraps, other tools and what not ) . But 300gb SSD ? Lucky

Deleted
    [/COLOR]More expensive/GB :/
    But I suppose. But then I need to swap back-and-forth a lot with an external, thus wearing it down unnecessarily. Meh. FML. I'll probably go for a 160GB then, moving the HDD out into a Harddrive-bay and using that as an external.
    If you need the space then by all means go for it. The higher capacity drive has better write characteristics as well, and more space always means longer lifespan.

From personal experience I don't; but for obvious reasons I can't make perfectly accurate claims about your requirements. I employ the hard drive bay method you mentioned though, and I have network access to the desktop remotely as well; so the data is rarely unreachable for any significant periods. As long as I don't forget the switch on the damn bay that is, its normally switched off...
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-04-04 at 05:09 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolhand View Post

I have an 80gb Intel 2nd gen SSD in my laptop. A lot of people don't think it's enough but idk why ? I have WoW up to Cata, sc2 with all the recent patches, my entire P90x workout program ( 8gb of videos ), all my vacation pictures and 100+ rotating wallpapers and the usual ( ccleaner, fraps, other tools and what not ) . But 300gb SSD ? Lucky
    ..... you're really going to get close to that 80GB max pretty soon if my on-the-fly calculations are correct. I mean, WoW is ~30gb alone. I seem to recall SC2 being 10GB....
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Lolhand View Post

700 dollars, yes. I live in Sweden, so it wouldn't cost that much in the US.
    And since it's a laptop, it'd be my ONLY drive. So it'd have to be system and storage. I mean, Avatar Bluray-rip in 1080p (not that I would ever contribute to illegal activities such as downloading *cough*) is 11GB alone.

If you need the space then by all means go for it. The higher capacity drive has better write characteristics as well, and more space always means longer lifespan.

From personal experience I don't; but for obvious reasons I can't make perfectly accurate claims about your requirements. I employ the hard drive bay method you mentioned though, and I have network access to the desktop remotely as well; so the data is rarely unreachable for any significant periods. As long as I don't forget the switch on the damn bay that is, its normally switched off...
    I've considered building a combined HTPC/NAS in raid5, when I move down to Lund, but that's still ~ a year ahead. I think you've actually persuaded me though, even though I managed most of it myself. :P I never got the hang of accessing my desktop via my current (slowly failing) laptop. Of course, the router is pretty damaged by cat-ravaging as well, so that might help. But I want to be able to watch movies on the train, and if you're familiar with the X2000, they have quite small fold-out-tables, and I want a laptop able to fit there (my current one doesn't). So a 13,3" or a 14". And since some train-rides can be quite long (Ängelholm -> Luleå is around 18hours, although I'll most likely fly the next time -.-'), I want to have movies that can last me both the trip there, the trip home and while there!

..... you're really going to get close to that 80GB max pretty soon if my on-the-fly calculations are correct. I mean, WoW is ~30gb alone. I seem to recall SC2 being 10GB....
    Well, WoW is half of that, but yea! I quit WoW though, so that will save me space.

Deleted
    And since some train-rides can be quite long (Ängelholm -> Luleå is around 18hours, although I'll most likely fly the next time -.-'), I want to have movies that can last me both the trip there, the trip home and while there!
    Quite some demands - but I can see where the storage requirement is coming from then.

I never went on a X2000 personally (ask me about planes though) - but train experience is limited to 'Öresundståg' (and a few other of non-importance), which also has some fairly small foldout tables. And no, the current 15'' doesn't fit comfortably there either. I just read in my daily 1.5 hours there and back (to Lund, funnily enough) train rides... glad when that was over...
    I never got the hang of accessing my desktop via my current (slowly failing) laptop.
    Routers wreck everything, hence I'm so glad that the Desktop is directly connected to the Citynet since it means I don't need to deal with that bullshit. (you know besides being able to ping everything with ~2ms)
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-04-04 at 05:33 PM.