The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Suggest for what I should do....

So I recently built an i5-2500K setup with a P8P67 mobo (can't SLI, don't want to go to ATI Radeon), nor do I have any interest in multi-GPU, so now that I've given you all an idea of what I don't wan to do with some money I'm going to be getting, I'd like your opinions on which thing I should upgrade get...

I currently am running with an almost year old NVidia 9800 GeForce GT 1GB GDDR3 video card that I am very sure is bottle-necking the CPU in WoW.
    Thinking of upgrading to an MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 560Ti.

I had an SSD for a period of one short, sweet week, but I opted to take it back because at the time I had all of my stuff, but I couldn't get Windows 7, and I wasn't sure if and when I'd be getting enough money to buy anything again, so I returned the SSD (an OCZ Vertex2 80GB) and got a Seagate 7200RPM 1TB 64MB cache HDD instead and a Windows 7 OEM disk. Pondering getting an SSD again.

Last and probably the lowest thing I could need right now is basically, I'm currently running a Corsair 650TX PSU.... I'd like to go modular. Would be nice to get rid of some of these extra cables sitting in there.

So, folks, any opinions? Just remember, I can only get one thing.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    Get the GPU IMO. SSD can wait, and modular PSU isn't needed, it just makes things inside cleaner (which can be taken care of the wire management anyways )
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

I'd get the video card, all the way. It's terribly bottlenecking your CPU, and is the only real "Necessity" out of the parts you listed when it comes to gaming. Sure, faster load times are nice, and it is surely nice to be able to go modular, but its not needed to increase your gaming.

I'd suggest either the 560ti, or a Radeon 6950***

* : I would only choose the 6950 if you can go find a reference version of it, such as this.
    If you do opt to get a version such as that, I would flash its BIOS to a 6970, essentially making it worth ~90$ more, and turning it into a beast of a card. Directions on how to do that here.

Deleted
    Definately the GPU, the one you're using now could use some upgrading. SSD's and modular PSU's are great things but are ultimately "only" luxuries. Get some zip ties and clean up all that messy wiring and get yourself a solid gpu. The gtx 560 ti that you mentioned is an excellent choice and your 650 tx psu will be plenty for it.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobasteve1226 View Post
    I'd get the video card, all the way. It's terribly bottlenecking your CPU, and is the only real "Necessity" out of the parts you listed when it comes to gaming. Sure, faster load times are nice, and it is surely nice to be able to go modular, but its not needed to increase your gaming.

I'd suggest either the 560ti, or a Radeon 6950***

* : I would only choose the 6950 if you can go find a reference version of it, such as this.
    If you do opt to get a version such as that, I would flash its BIOS to a 6970, essentially making it worth ~90$ more, and turning it into a beast of a card. Directions on how to do that here.
    You say "terribly" bottle-necking, now we all know that, at least from what I've been told, like no current video cards, except for maybe the GTX 590/Radeon 6990 can actually perform past the Sandybridge processors (correct me if I'm wrong).... but just how much is terribly bottle-necking in this case? I mean I generally can run almost every setting maxed out, though it does start to have trouble. I guess I should also inquire about if GPU can have any effect on Fraps performance...?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Fraps performance is dictated mostly by the HDD/SSD and the CPU. It is single threaded so for wow you could set Core 0 for Fraps and 1,2 & 3 for WoW. GPU does not have a big say on Fraps performance but it won't hurt to have something like the 560Ti in there

Deleted
    depends on the games and what kind of resolution you use. But a gtx 560 or a 6950 won't bottleneck your sandy bridge build.

GPU for sure.
    A SSD would fraps so get that second.
    Modular PSU just gives you a cleaner computer so get that last if you really want 1

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    You say "terribly" bottle-necking, now we all know that, at least from what I've been told, like no current video cards, except for maybe the GTX 590/Radeon 6990 can actually perform past the Sandybridge processors (correct me if I'm wrong).... but just how much is terribly bottle-necking in this case? I mean I generally can run almost every setting maxed out, though it does start to have trouble. I guess I should also inquire about if GPU can have any effect on Fraps performance...?
    Very bottle necking. You could easily run ANY intense game and very high FPS with a better GPU. Take Crysis for example. I don't have any ones on me, but your card could probably get 40 fps or so in Crysis. But with a new card, you could get MUCH more.... and by much, I'd estimate around 85 FPS, no problem, MAX settings, with no problems.