Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to post my response in all caps because when it dawned on me what the game was I literally yelled this over vent.

IF I WANTED TO PLAY THE AUCTION HOUSE, I'D JUST LOG ONTO MY BANK ALT IN WOW AND PLAY IT.

That's all it is. Everything else is largely automated, even the combat (which, btw, is NOT hard once you figure out how to control your spins) and so most of the pleasure you can derive from the game is playing the AH to get good deals on things to make your ship nicer.

Well forget that. Not worth it imo.

The free trial is free, so you got nothing to lose, go for it

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to say what others have said you really have to engage yourself to enjoy it, if you stick in high sec mining or ratting high sector missions then well it's a pretty repetitive game. It's a sandbox mmo you got the tools you make it as interesting or uninteresting as you want.
    It's not a game for those that need to be on a guided experience to have fun.

Also even is more a world simulator in some aspects then a game, you need to make contracts to craft, manufacturing plants got queues, you need logistics, either being able to safely transport goods from sector to sector yourself or hire others.
    Without a good corp you'll be helpless, very few managed without and eventually did start up one, so again the game as exciting as you make it yourself, carebear in high sector space and you miss 99,9% of the actual game.

They made the starting process also beter i've been told, giving you a beter starting setup in skills. Also if you decide to try it don't skip the tutorial.

It's the most social MMO out there and with 60K+ people online at the same time it is really a universe on, a community while helpful and mature also very backstabbing. Stories of betrayal in EVE are well know.
    CCP is also a very solid company in terms of updates and quality, all expansions are -free-, the game is constantly being worked on and renewed it's a game from 2001 and it still looks up to date today.

Also in regards to EVE, CCP is now working as some might have seen with the trailer of actual ingame content to connect PC gamers with XBOX gamers, where the PC gamers are in space and the Xbox gamers have a third person shooter on the ground, attempting to go multiplatform on 2 different platform with 2 different game types, yet the actions of both interact.
    Last edited by Acidbaron; 2011-04-05 at 04:09 PM.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dembai View Post
    [...]

IF I WANTED TO PLAY THE AUCTION HOUSE, I'D JUST LOG ONTO MY BANK ALT IN WOW AND PLAY IT.

That's all it is. Everything else is largely automated, even the combat (which, btw, is NOT hard once you figure out how to control your spins) and so most of the pleasure you can derive from the game is playing the AH to get good deals on things to make your ship nicer.
    [...]
    Those are just the tools that support the meta-game. Just like playing the AH supports raiding, playing the economy enables you to gain capital to achieve whatever ends you're pursuing. The game can be about winning the AH or having 100,000 billion ISK, but there's something much more sophisticated going on in terms of player interactions, be it by combat, sovereignty, or tycoonery.

EVE is a great game, if you are in the demographic it's targeting.

It's a sandbox game, so be prepared to make your own content. The game just tosses you in the game world. There are no "levels," no progression, and not much of notable PVE content. A majority of it's focus is PVP.

It is cutthroat, if you don't like having PVP in every aspect of every moment of play, I'd avoid it. Pick any 10 people in your corp (guild), three of them are spies, two are planning to backstab you, and a third already has. Everything from the market, to even "carebear" missioning is full of potential ways for other players to ruin your day. And for you to ruin theirs.

It is very social. You won't get far at all on your own. There is very little you can do solo, solo PVP is rare and quite difficult. You can mission or mine and make money, but it gets boring quick if you don't find a group of players to (pretend to) trust and play with.

It is time consuming. You will need patience, more so the deeper you go. I sometimes spent days waiting for an op to form, camped in a station until we had an opportune moment to make a move. You might go out, spend an hour roaming, and find nothing to kill. And if you do, the servers may go down as they get overloaded. But it all becomes worth it when you have that 5 minute long "good" fight.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even then if you're simply at making a large amount of money, it's beter then an AH system in terms of marketeering.
    Each sector has their own spacestation, each sector prices vary, items, ships etc bought have to be hauled at the space station you bought it from so it involves a lot of exploring the market trends, the sector prices and last but not least logistics and not losing it from a pirate attack.

It's more complex then just buying something cheap getting it in the mail and re auctioning it. That's an incorrect comparison made.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by L05_PL View Post
    its like saying, "you didnt finish your meal, u cant walk away from table" :P
    some ppl find boring doing same stuff for x time in a row lately you know, and tbh, sometimes going away from wow for 1-2months can give you the "power" to get back with uber str to play again
    couldnt agree more... that guy you replied prolly was trolling but w/e
    i can say from exp taking say a 6 mo break to go on deployment has done wonders for my wow career came back a lil after cata came out didnt touch any of my old chars and have 2 new 85s from scratch lol

OT: EVE is mostly what everyone above has been saying, fun if you make the effort... it has a much more mature crowd than WoW for sure. There are tons of people willing to help (if youre willing to do your part) and tons of veterans waiting to snatch your kids in 0.0 space, its what you make of it...

If you're interested in a sci fi MMO, I'd recommend trying to get into the closed US-Beta for Black Prophecy. It's a pretty good game even in its basic, somewhat buggy form right now.