Thoughts on computer build

Planning on building a new computer primarily for video editing and gaming. Video editing is mostly with adobe premiere pro and after effects.

CPU: intel core i7 2600
    RAM: corsair xms3 classic 8GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Motherboard: Asus P8H67-M LX
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr OC 880MHZ 1GB GDDR5
    PSU: 600W ( is it enough???)

I already have some of the other parts not included in here like the case and hard drive, so i didnt list them

also by getting the i5 2500 i would be saving about $100 bucks. i heard it performs very well for gaming, but what about video editing? benchmarks say i7 is better due to the larger # of cores, but is it really worth the price difference?

its my first time building a new pc so any help is appreciated

(I've been stuck with a laptop with intel core 2 duo 1.833Ghz and 3GB ram for many years, so this will be a huge upgrade but want to keep the price down)

For gaming the 2500k is a better choice. An i7 970 would be faster in applications that utilize all cores, so for video editing yes, but not for gaming.

And yes, the PSU is enough. Also get 1600MHz RAM if you do any sort of overclocking.
    Last edited by Stefy; 2011-04-05 at 03:06 AM.

Measured power consumption

1. System in IDLE = 201W
    2. System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 449W
    3. Difference (GPU load) = 248W
    4. Add average IDLE wattage ~ 50W
    5. Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 298 Watts

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforc...-sli-review/14

600Watt should be fine, but you can get 650 or 700 if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    Measured power consumption

1. System in IDLE = 201W
    2. System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 449W
    3. Difference (GPU load) = 248W
    4. Add average IDLE wattage ~ 50W
    5. Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 298 Watts

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforc...-sli-review/14

600Watt should be fine, but you can get 650 or 700 if you want.
    That is for GTX 560's in SLI and the OP is only getting a single card, so power consumption will be much lower. A 600 watt PSU is fine, but a 500 watt unit would be much better for this setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Nejji View Post
    That is for GTX 560's in SLI and the OP is only getting a single card, so power consumption will be much lower. A 600 watt PSU is fine, but a 500 watt unit would be much better for this setup.
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti

* On your average system the card requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit.

GeForce GTX 560 Ti in 2-way SLI

* A second card requires you to add another ~175 Watts. You need a 700+ Watt power supply unit if you use it in a high-end system (800+ to a KiloWatt is recommended if you plan on any overclocking).

Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti

* On your average system the card requires you to have a 500 Watt power supply unit.

GeForce GTX 560 Ti in 2-way SLI

* A second card requires you to add another ~175 Watts. You need a 700+ Watt power supply unit if you use it in a high-end system (800+ to a KiloWatt is recommended if you plan on any overclocking).
    You are quoting recommendations (note: not requirements) which are already bloated to take into account the cheap units rated only for peak wattage and adding to those thus creating complete overkill. A 1 KW PSU is necessary for three GTX 580's, not dual 560's.

On top of that the part of the review you linked shows that a system with dual GTX 560's at full load consumes ~450 watts from the wall, well below the recommended threshold of 700 watts you've stated. And excessively below the overclocked statement which is unnecessary.

As stated on Nvidia's website, a GTX 560 draws a maximum of 170 watts. A typical system with one of these could easily run on a good 400 watt power supply, and two of these on 550-600 watts. Also the "headroom" from having a more powerful PSU is irrelevant unless it is definitely planned that one would actually upgrade to something like a dual GTX 570 setup.

i7 2600 is not worth it in my opinion. It's nearly a 50% increase in price but only a small increase (~10-20%) in multi-threaded performance.

A 600W PSU would be enough for any single GPU card currently on the market, so it will be more than enough for your 560Ti. Just make sure it's made by a reputable company.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Thanks for the feedback

I just found out that the RAM im getting is 1.6V, but my motherboard accepts 1.5V, will this cause huge problems?