Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

10+ Year Old Account
    Healer with mana issue: <Name of Healer><state of mana><Specific Assignment>"Divlytspam is out of mana!"
    ---- also for Healer out of range or out of Line of Sight

Combat res: "Joe coming up after Blackout"... "Dahuntarr coming up in 5.."""WAIT!""Dahuntarr waiting...""up now!"

Inabilty to meet kick duty: "Nova in 4, kick on cd," needs to hear a "Krip has a silencing shot on it."

for completeness:

"Wipe, stop healing, stand in fire"
    "Raid break, be back at x:xx server time"
    "Hunters swtich to terrestra"
    "Ranged, STOP DPS"
    "PUSH IT NOW!" aka "pew pew harder!"

for tradition, "That is a 50 DKP minus!"
    "Wow, hunter loot!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetriss View Post
    um if you raid with a consistent group of people every week you should begin to know their voice.
    Some people don't talk much, sometimes people sound similar, sometimes if what they say is brief it can be hard to nail down their identity, sometimes there are subs, and sometimes people don't run with a consistent group every week. Obviously the speaker probably has a good idea if the other players will recognise their voice or not, but since I see people say "I" and "me" in PuGs, which leads me to believe that people just say it without thinking, regardless of the circumstances.

It's just a good general habit to be in.

---------- Post added 2011-04-05 at 04:00 PM ----------

I want to echo the advice of a couple other people about over calling. I think it is just as critical to know what not to say. Too much data on vent makes everything useless because the important stuff gets drowned out in the trivial.

In most cases, DPS do not need to point out when they die. It can be very frustrating, especially in 25man during progression pushes, when everyone who dies feels the need to share this on vent, and it can drown out pertinent calls. The people who need to know when people die – healers and the raid leader/officers – will usually have raid frames up or something to help them monitor deaths. They don’t need your call out. The same goes for when they have a debuff or need healing. The worst part is that the people who do this tend to do it without reserve, even announcing their deaths after a wipe is called.

If you’re not assigned to call outs, don’t make them. Four people calling out the same thing over each other makes all four callouts useless.

Only critical things need to be called out. The point of them is for important information to help the raid perform better; you are not narrating the fight and we do not need a play-by-play of every little thing that occurs. We also do not need to go into in-depth analysis of events mid-fight or talk strategy. Save that for after the wipe.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2011-04-05 at 11:03 PM.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    I would like a "Vent etiquette" guide.

Vent etiquette would be different for every single guild though

I see replyers claiming people should know others by voice. That's arrogant. I never assume someone knows me by my voice, despite being the GM and talking frequently. I always say "<NameOfChar> is down" (when I'm dead), etc. If there's only two tanks, I'm not currently tanking the boss, and I'm scheduled to taunt, I don't include my nick, it's already implied when I'm announcing "taunting in 3". I've raided with brothers that sound very similar on vent, with very different roles in the group, that was prone to say "i need salv", and 50% of the time the wrong one received it. Crap mic's etc doesn't make stuff like that easier. Others that seldom speak and then say "lol" when something gamebreaking just happened doesn't help either. I've also raided with unreliable raid leaders, that call out the fourth phase change (in a p1->p2->p1->p2 etc fight), on the fifth try, but none before or after that, or calling out the first debuff, but not the second, causing issues. It's only disruptive handing out information like that. We did fine prior to, and after the call out, why the need to suddenly call it out just that one time? If you're in a very hectic phase (say progression try on Al'Akir p2), repeating important information is *very* helpful, such as "<NameOfHealer> is sleeeping, <NameOfHealer> is sleeping!". It's surprising how often people hear you the second time, but not the first, when you need to focus on multiple stuff at once. Top rated Arena players can probably relate. It's very useful in PvE as well.

If you're going to give out information in any shape or form, you need to be relied upon. Consistency is key. As the OP says, if you're going to call out when Valiona does her breath, you do so every time. Doing so once or twice makes people expect you to call the rest, unless stated otherwise, or simply ignore hat information you provide (which may cause issues on another, later encounter when they have already labeled your information as half-assed). If people are expected to notice stuff on their own, you're not helping by giving them another (unreliable) element to focus on. Another (very outdated) example, back in vanilla and the 40 man raiding, remember when warlocks got to the instance and asked who needed a summon, and people replied "me" or "<-"? The ones that gave reliable, consistent, information was the guy that always answered by what group he was in, since it was a hellhole going through 40 nicks to find "me". Hopefully anyone who played a lock at that time can understand the difference between information, and proper information.