Page 11 of 151 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Can we get back to the disappointment of the farming skill

/sad panda

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, Russians are assholes. Anything none EU won't be getting in.

They are also going to have killer whales at the olympics :/
    Actually there is no ip block in russian version, everyone free to play, however its closed beta atm

Ah, ArcheAge.
    One of those games everybody wants, until you've tried it, and you grow bored.

It really does look quite good. But I'm afraid developers are giving too much credit to people's opinions and what they think is 'cool,' instead of what makes a good game that people actually enjoy.

Deleted
    Tomorrow will be russian release for those who preordered game(18$). And 22 february for those who want to play for free.
    Better ping and etc.

Very interesting article on MMORPG.com "Bye-Bye Sandbox?": http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...g-the-Box.html

It seems they are adding a P2W shop, themepark daily quest grinding, and basically losing a lot of its supposed sandbox features.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    Very interesting article on MMORPG.com "Bye-Bye Sandbox?": http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...g-the-Box.html

It seems they are adding a P2W shop, themepark daily quest grinding, and basically losing a lot of its supposed sandbox features.
    Yeah that's the effect of 1.0 patch that korea got, and the one that Russian and English community is fighting against, there were some positive things in the update but for the most part is was horrible, and really badly welcomed even in korea.

Does anyone know if there's an english translation of the russian client in the works? (obviously community based)
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

So... sell everyone on sandbox game, then make a day-1 patch that removes the sandbox? That makes no sense.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stellvia View Post
    So... sell everyone on sandbox game, then make a day-1 patch that removes the sandbox? That makes no sense.
    The whole thing makes no sense, they had amazing and unique game on their hands, and instead of going with their original vision and the things that all the ArcheAge fans liked, they thought the world needs more carebear zones, dailyquests that are the only way to acquire certain important coins, and *Shudder* P2W cashshop with nocooldown labor point potions.

Luckily, looking at the japan release, the publishers seem to have some powers to change the way their localization works, lets just hope Trion understands the problems 1.0 brought, i'm going to blow a gasket if they make this yet another mmo with the same familiar formula :<

Quote Originally Posted by popk0rn View Post
    The whole thing makes no sense, they had amazing and unique game on their hands, and instead of going with their original vision and the things that all the ArcheAge fans liked, they thought the world needs more carebear zones, dailyquests that are the only way to acquire certain important coins, and *Shudder* P2W cashshop with nocooldown labor point potions.

Luckily, looking at the japan release, the publishers seem to have some powers to change the way their localization works, lets just hope Trion understands the problems 1.0 brought, i'm going to blow a gasket if they make this yet another mmo with the same familiar formula :<
    It does make sense. They weren't making any money, so they had to add shit that would make it more profitable in their markets. I'd imagine it won't make it over to the US with the P2W elements etc. Localization of games generally includes localizing cash shops for the market etc., and P2W is not accepted in the West.

Maybe it is because they realized that the vast majority of people say they want a sandbox game but when they actually get a sandbox game, they don't know what to do in the game? With so many people wanting their hand held even in themepark MMOs, I can see this being a big problem with sandbox games.

Not sure why this comes as a surprise to anyone, most people who played it saw that they tried way too hard to make a combination of 50/50 sandbox/theme park and that it just didn't work.

Now that F&F alpha started for ArcheAge in NA maybe we'll get some real information from Trion soon, but I really doubt they're allowed to change that much.

Maybe it is because they realized that the vast majority of people say they want a sandbox game but when they actually get a sandbox game, they don't know what to do in the game?
    And sort of this, craving a sandbox MMORPG seems to be the new cool thing even for people who would rage-quit after an hour of a true sandbox.

Let's see if trion fucks this up or not. I am not too keen on grinding dailys, did that in WoW. Aint got time for that
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

People seem to be forgetting ArcheAge was dying even before this patch. The game went F2P in Korea in 6 months, this is 100% fact. So the developers are simply doing what they feel will give the game the best shot of simply staying afloat, even if it pissed off the people who played pre-1.0 patch.

As for Trion; I seriously doubt they have developing rights to NA/EU ArcheAge, only Publishing rights. Which would mean they cannot create any content, and you would be getting 1.0 no matter how much you hate it. Though as publishers they have some ability to be able to change what goes in the cash shop. So Trion might not include any of the P2W in their version.

There's a difference between offering daily quests, and making said dailies the ONLY way to get certain items in a sandbox game.

Ugh i really hope trion picks up the ball that xl games dropped and actually makes ArcheAge the game it should be. Me and my guild are eagerly awaiting the NA version!!!

This thing is now in Russian open beta. Playing it myself and can say it's very enjoyable. Mind you this is coming from someone who is fed up with generic tab target mmos. It's the sandbox features that drive me on!
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleyyelrah View Post
    Ugh i really hope trion picks up the ball that xl games dropped and actually makes ArcheAge the game it should be. Me and my guild are eagerly awaiting the NA version!!!
    If some of the above posts are true (that the developer is in serious need of money even before 1.0), then I don't think there is anything that Trion can do. They're only a publisher for the West market.

If AA is not doing well even before they did 1.0 (which as Edge said, seems they did it out of desperation), then what hope is there for the game to flourish in the West?
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

My first impressions based on leveling from 1-20

Enjoying it so far, even though it's tab target/quite generic leveling. It's probably all the sandbox features that keep me motivated. Leveling is pretty fast, so getting to level cap doesn't probably take a long time. It doesn't however feel grindy even though there are kill x/interact with y quests, leveling overall feels very fluid, quests nicely guide you from zone to zone so you don't need to keep running around for longer periods of time, very streamlined.

While the combat is tab target, it increases it's depth by having a lot of combos, which are one spells reaction to another spells effect. For example if I cast a Lightning Strike on an enemy and then throw a Tsunami spell on him, he'll get extra damage from Tsunami because he was "electricified" by the Lightning Strike.

World is beautiful (something azn games excel at actually), I love seeing player made farms occupy the land out in the open. Housing here is not instanced, so you can see zones where you can place houses all over the world. Even the early level zones have housing areas, although yet to see any player house due to the game just releasing.

Some textures, models and spell gfx don't look too good (for example grass or frostbolt animation), but the rest of them are very appealing (for example lightning strike animation).

I was pleasantly surprised that Archeage didn't go the usual asian way of doing armors/weapons/character models AKA making weapons oversized and armor bulky and female armor... severly lacking. Instead they picked a more western approach of non-ridiculousness. It's still fantasy, but much less so.

While we're at armor sets, every player can wear any type of armor (light, medium, heavy) they want, but each provides their own benefits, for example light armor gives more benefits to caster classes. And while we're at classes:

Every player chooses 3 classes they'll play with. First is chosen on char creation, second at lvl 5, third at lvl 10, so you get them fast. With leveling you gain skill points with which you choose abilities or passives from one of those classes. Obviously skill points are limited, so you will not be able to max out all 3 classes, but instead will have to make a "build" out of those 3 classes. You could make a super hybrid that has a few points in each class, or you could make a very 1 class oriented build, but take a skill or two from the other two classes because they synergize with your "main" class. The classes to choose from are:
    - Combat (melee/warrior type class)
    - Conjury (heavy crowd control class)
    - Protection (defensive class)
    - Will (kind of a mix of crowd control and buffing)
    - Necromancy (summoner / caster type)
    - Archery (ranged/archer type)
    - Magic (standard caster/mage type)
    - Calling (rouge type class)
    - Artistry (buffing/healing class)
    - Devotion (healing class)

So taking in account that you can mix 3 of those, there's a lot of combinations to customize your character. Even more considering there's different skill distributions. The cool thing about this: you can change any of those classes any time you want (for a small fee). The skills/abilities of classes level up as well (as you play them), so you cannot switch the class and be instantly supergood at it.

I was also surprised at how good they utilized physics of CryEngine3, considering it's an MMORPG and physics system isn't usually a requirement. Probably haven't discovered all of it, but I did notice the game has ragdolls, character collision (you can actually slowly push someone) and for example rivers have current, so if you jump in one it'll take you away slowly. Other objects like boats have physics too.
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Well, it's official now. ArcheAge will be launching as Free to Play in North America and Europe. Beta will be Soon™.

http://archeagesource.com/topic/3088...anager-scapes/

Trion will start streaming AA regularly starting on Friday, March 21 on their Twitch channel. They will also have a big reveal at GDC 2014.

Apparently Trion World will be working will XLGames to make sure the game / cash shop is (hopefully) palatable to the western audiance.
    Last edited by Phaere; 2014-03-17 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaere View Post
    Well, it's official now. ArcheAge will be launching as Free to Play in North America and Europe. Beta will be Soon™.

http://archeagesource.com/topic/3088...anager-scapes/

Trion will start streaming AA regularly starting on Friday, March 21 on their Twitch channel. They will also have a big reveal at GDC 2014.

Apparently Trion World will be working will XLGames to make sure the game / cash shop is (hopefully) palatable to the western audiance.
    Nice,. really curious about the housing in this game.