Poll: Which is better Holy Priest?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Question Alliance - Holy - Human or Gnome?

I've read tens of threads about this matter but I'm still confused as hell. If Gnome still had had +5% int not mana it would have been much easier but like this it's hard. I aim mainly at being healer and sometimes, really sometimes, playing on arena or something. I'd appreciate some reasonable answer not the ones like 'go gnome or go home', it's kinda 'yes cause I said so'. I had priest on 80lvl, but it was private server and UD in Horde so it's not helping this time
    Thanks in advance

From the sound of it you sound like you're looking towards PvE so i would go with human for holy

PvE, Gnome wins. The max mana increases your gains from Replenishment, Shadowfiend, Hymn of Hope, as well as amplifying the effects of some proc effects (Lightweave, Power Torrent, etc). This is for both Holy and Discipline.

PvP, Every Man for Himself outweighs the gnomes, by a longshot.

PvX: You're going to be staring at the backside of that character for quite awhile, and unless you feel like forking out cash, pick the casting animation you like the most.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    PvX: You're going to be staring at the backside of that character for quite awhile, and unless you feel like forking out cash, pick the casting animation you like the most.
    Honestly? This. 5+ years of hating NE male casting animations taught me this lesson.

Also, the gnome elevation-based LoS issue comes into play much more often when healing than DPSing. Its a small [ha!] concern, but its there.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    go dwarf
    dwarf's are awesome

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-] View Post
    Honestly? This. 5+ years of hating NE male casting animations taught me this lesson.

Also, the gnome elevation-based LoS issue comes into play much more often when healing than DPSing. Its a small [ha!] concern, but its there.
    6+ years of Nelf here. I don't like the animation either but I am too attached to my character now to race change. It would be like killing an old friend. Just carry lots of noggenfogger.

Pick the race you like looking at best IE cast animations etc. The racials in PvE are minimal at best so unless you are PvPing (Human obviously) chose the character model you'll be able to tolerate looking at for long periods of time. Trust me, you won't notice much of a difference in most (key word is MOST don't flame me) situations.
    DO NOT ASK 4 NINNERVATE!>?

Quote Originally Posted by Denzion View Post
    6+ years of Nelf here. I don't like the animation either but I am too attached to my character now to race change. It would be like killing an old friend. Just carry lots of noggenfogger.
    Same here.

As for on topic, i say Gnome I have mage gnome, has Dk gnome (now is tauren) and gnomes are cool + you have many benefits there for caster. If you aint going to be PvPer gnome sounds better

Also, many PvPers say that best raicial is gnome :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarragon
    Casuals don't read mmo-champion, because they're too busy being bad in heroics.

I would go human for PvE. Evry man for himself is a lifesaver a lot of times (thought not enough to justefy using a pvp trinket) 3%spirit vs 5% mana: No math to back this, but would say gnome is best as disc and human as holy for obvius reasons.

5% mana is better for Holy too, custos.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    I agree, I've made this mistake one too many times (NE Male Hunter -> NE Female; Worgen Male Druid -> NE Female, Dwarf Male Paladin -> Human Male - although it wasn't so much the animations, I actually really liked Dwarf animations, I just like Humans more for lore reasons), so now I pick a race completely based on casting animations. No matter how much better the racial traits are, liking the look of my character is more important to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing I dislike about being Horde is the fact I can't be a female Gnome. With pink bunches.

*wistful sigh*

Gnome is the best PVE healing priest race, no matter what spec.

Also, you can get green hair to match t11.

Quote Originally Posted by RüneRS View Post
    go dwarf
    dwarf's are awesome
    If this was facebook I would totally press the like button

10+ Year Old Account
    Math Time Yay

Wanted to see which was better midmaxing stats, here's what I came up with. I am using my charactor as a guideline(full 359 geared), no buffs. Removed my 3% human racial for spirit to get a baseline.

Intellect: 4353
    Spirit: 2505(after 3% removed, was 2585)
    Mana: 90102

Gnome Racial:
    New Mana Pool: 94607
    Mana Gained from Hymn of Hope as a result of larger mana pool: 540 mana
    Mana Gained from Shadowfeind assuming average of 10 hits during hero/lust: 225 per hit, 2250 mana total
    Mana Gained from 1 tick of replinishment: 45 mana, 22.5 mp5

Human Racial:
    Spirit increase: 80
    Mana Gained from mp5 regen as holy: 65 mp5 (Calculated from some guys fancy Healing Priest spreadsheet, don't ask me what crazy math is involved, I couldn't tell you, I just plugged in the numbers xP)

Math timez:

For human to be better, the extra mp5 gained from the spirit over what you would gain from replinishment would have to exceed the extra amount gained from HoH and SF, 2790 mana.
    65mp5(Human) - 22.5mp5(gnome from replinishment) = 42.5mp5
    2790/42.5 = 65.65 ticks of mp5, which would take 328.25 seconds, or about 5.5 minutes.

So, any fight lasting longer that 5.5 minutes, human racial results in more mana regen. However, if you use SF very early, you would get it twice, making a much bigger increase for gnome overall mana regen (9.88 minutes for human regen to match double SF). Also, you get an extra 4505 mana to spend, almost enough for a Greater Heal. However, mana pool size scales with buffs (kings/MotW, int), so the difference in regen would be smaller in a raid environment. Spirit/Int proc trinkets would obviously skew these numbers (DM:T, JoAR).

Personal preference, I like human better. Female human has a pretty good casting animation, and gnomes are ugly.
    Last edited by h3lladvocate; 2011-04-05 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Spirit doesn't scale, thanks Kelesti, re-worded

Spirit doesn't scale with buffs, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, that's correct. No longer considered a primary attribute, I forgot. So, gnomes would benefit from an extra 5% of the 5% int thats is given by kings. Also the intellect buff that gives 2k-ish mana. Don't feel like mathing that out... buffs are annoying to calculate.

Quote Originally Posted by h3lladvocate View Post
    Ah, that's correct. No longer considered a primary attribute, I forgot. So, gnomes would benefit from an extra 5% of the 5% int thats is given by kings. Also the intellect buff that gives 2k-ish mana. Don't feel like mathing that out... buffs are annoying to calculate.
    Agreed.

Point still stands from a true min-maxer's perspective, the Gnome is better, but hating your character isn't all that awesome, thus people should choose the race they want.

Deleted
    And about that LoS of gnomes - it's for or against? Cause I can see it in 2 ways - they cover less screen so it's easier to target others and harder to target you, however when there's fg. a fallen tree in a way between you and a person to be healed gnome cannot cast cause he's to small right? xD

Quote Originally Posted by Denzion View Post
    I just couldn't take it anymore, so I finally hit the race change button a week or so into Cata. Human male animations are clean and simple, robes hang normally and don't look like they're made of spandex, and, most importantly, my f'ing offhands don't clip into my legs.

Besides, I rather like the look of "Old Man" Spiritus.