Arcane trinket/int question

Sooo I need a smarter mage then me to weigh in. Yes I know that fire is more or less best right now, I've raided 12/12 in fire but I'm mostly asking for 4.1 reasons.

Arcane mages do their best dps when their mana is full, so are trinkets like DMC:V terrible because the intelect when it pops would bring your % of mana say from 100% to like 80% thus screwing your dps over, or is the int bonus worth enough to make up the difference? This question is for all int proc trinkets, as well as for power torrent.

Another way to ask this is for Arcane do you want power torrent on your weapon, and also what are the 2 best trinkets?

Swizzle, you're input would be great if you get the time! Also, with the recent haste changes to AB do you think stacking crit will be the way to go for Arcane in 4.1?

Thanks.

Read stickies, EJ has a nice arcane thread...

Best of luck...

Mana procs will also increase your mana regen since you are using glyphed mage armor. So you will be able to use more AB`s without going down in mana and yes the increase in intellect does make up for the loss in mastery due to going down in mana %. Not sure what kind of mastery you need for it not to do so but way more than you can get at the current time at least. Also, with DMC time your mana gems with its proc and you get even more benefit

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    While I haven't done any math on the subject, I believe the advantages of Int procs outweigh the disadvantages. As Keernan said, with Int procs, you'll be getting more Int back from Mage Armor which will allow you to throw out more Arcane Blasts. In addition, your mana gem grants additional spellpower for all of those procs. If you're lucky enough to have everything proc and you use a potion, you should have upwards of 150k mana or more. That's a 3000 spellpower increase when you use your mana gem. Not too shabby.

Deleted
    hi there, i can tell you a few things about arcane ,

first we need to look at stat priorities : INT-> Spellpower->hit( to cap)-> mastery......etc

so if you see there, that answers your question, INT is our best stat, actually out of all the 30 classes , none scale so awesomely good with their respective primary stat, so yeah int procs are amazing for arcane mages, and you should use dmc-v as BIS untill you can replace it with something more awesome ( i can't imagine anything but shard of voe :P ) if you are worried about mastery dropping when it procs because of the 30% ish increase in mana pool size, STOP WORRYING , if you're still worried, pair it with a mastery proc trink ( like the one i'm using, Theralion's mirror ) they tend to proc same times so yes , your mastery will drop when dmc procs, but then procs that mirror and evens it out

also , you should be trying to max out your mastery, be at least around 25% at full mana , that way , even at 50% you still have a decent mastery bonus ( what i'm saying here is that , as far as i experimented, higher mastery lets you "burn" lower into the mana pool without loosing dmg )

and all the other things need to be considered, like how you get more mana based on your total mana pool from mage armor, how mana gem is now a dps/dmg cooldown that scales with your total mana ( if timed correctly , during a dmc -v proc+ volcano pot then the mana gem after those, i see "mana gem spellpower gain" 3k++ add the spellpower gain from the 1600int+1200int and you're looking at ~14k spellpower, be it temporary, add arcane power on top of that ( and ofc mirrors, or the boss will seriously loose interest in ANY tank at this point :P ) and we're getting 140k crits on normal fights ( a.k.a. no dmg x a'la halfus )

bottom line, yes , dmc-volcano is a bis trink, more so for arcane mages due to it having mastery

on your crit stacking question , i currently have 14% of it , say 20% in raids , untill we can reforge/gear upwards of 30% crit is more or less useless for arcane mages ( 30% is a threshold ) but that will be late in the expansion

with the haste upgrade we're getting in 4.1 arcane will have most of it's issues fixed, aoe is good even now , if you used it smart ( but then again , why have your arcane mage aoe in the first place > ?? if you must a simple arcane power while mirrors( no aggro god-mode activated ) and a-ex spam sometimes tops the charts ( think maloriak adds ) ,just use the arcane spec to your advantage and pop a cone of cold on the adds to make sure you're getting full benefit from torment the weak ( many mages forget this )

Deleted
    Arcane's BIS trinkets are DMC:V and Theralion's Mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by Akiie View Post
    Arcane's BIS trinkets are DMC:V and Theralion's Mirror.
    No, they're hc theralion's mirror and the shard of woe.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

Deleted
    If he was anywhere close to getting shard of woe, he would not be asking this question so to all intents and purposes, Theralion's mirror and DMC: V are his best in slot. If he has access to Theralion's mirror hc, then it is better than Theralion's mirror normal. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by takolin View Post
    No, they're hc theralion's mirror and the shard of woe.
    yes cause Sinestra is on farm for most people. Cata is too easy *rollseyes*

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by QQmoore View Post
    His statement was true tho. BiS = The best gear obtainable.

Does that change anything about my statement?
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

Deleted

Thanks to those who've weighed in. The gist of what I'm getting is as Arcane don't worry about int proc items brining your mana from 100% to 80% because the AB's you'll be casting at 80% mana will still be better with the int/sp increase then they would be w/o the in/sp increase at 100% mana. And stack mastery to 25%ish and then work on crit.

Also, as this is really for next tier I'm not worried about what's bis this tier.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilidog View Post
    Thanks to those who've weighed in. The gist of what I'm getting is as Arcane don't worry about int proc items brining your mana from 100% to 80% because the AB's you'll be casting at 80% mana will still be better with the int/sp increase then they would be w/o the in/sp increase at 100% mana. And stack mastery to 25%ish and then work on crit.

Also, as this is really for next tier I'm not worried about what's bis this tier.
    well it's up to you , but what i was trying to relay over, is stack mastery ....NO LIMIT, at least 25% ...nevermind crit and haste for this tier, if you can reach 27-28% mastery you'll see a huge difference, and by stacking mastery to and beyond 25%, while geming for intellect and being hit capped, you won't really have nothing to spare for other stats,

Can someone who is good at math/excel/sim work out exactly what does a flat out mana increase proc do to our Mastery? Because I did some very rough calculations here showing that in regards to Volcano proc, considering only the temporary increased mana we get from it, volcano proc puts us slightly behind not proc'ing it at all. However, I did not factor in mana regen at all (as I have no idea how to do that). What I'm hoping here is that, it could very well be possible that the mana regen bonus we get will be enough to actually make it a dps gain (again, not considering the spellpower+crit bonus from the intellect boost from the proc).
    Last edited by Prod; 2011-04-07 at 07:24 AM.