How is this Laptop?

I am buying a laptop computer, main reason is to play WoW.
    I want to know how much FPS I will get with this specifications, in crowded places like Stormwind or 40v40 Battles (Considering my WoW settings are Ultra, except I will have my shadows and Liquid detail on "Fair" or "Good" if needed)

Specifications:
    Processor: Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.00 GHz (2.90 GHz with Turbo Boost) 6MB Smart Cache
    RAM: 6 GB DDR3 (1333 MHz)
    Harddisk: 500 GB 7200 RPM
    GPU: 2 GB DDR3 Nvidia Geforce GT540M Optimus - 1 GB Shared
    Motherboard: Intel HM65 Chipset
    Screen: 15.6 inches

Questions:
    1- If I get 8GB ram instead of 6GB, will it change something?
    2- Is there any low specifications that will cause bottlenecking?
    3- GPU is DDR3, appereantly not GDDR5, but I also heard GDDR5 version of this card is not suitable with laptops. Is it something to worry about?
    4- This processor is sandy bridge, and I heard that they were improper, even though the selling firm told me not to worry about it, how can I make sure this processor is ok?

It will play wow fine.

1) Not really, unless you intend to do media-work.
    2) No, it will be fine, as far as laptop goes.
    3) No, nothing to worry about. It's not strictly a gaming-GPU, but, it will handle games fine.
    4) The processors for Sandy Bridge have never been faulty; It was the motherboards and specifically the SATA 3Gbps-ports whom were faulty. That has been remedied.

EDIT: Resolution is far more important than screen-size. I'd personally prefer a 1366x768 or 1600x900 rather than 1920x1080 on a laptop.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-04-06 at 03:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could swear I just saw a thread with the exact same laptop

How would it affect WoW if it was 5400 RPM harddisk?

Quote Originally Posted by yunuss View Post
    How would it affect WoW if it was 5400 RPM harddisk?
    Loadingscreens and everything similiar, even outside WoW, would be slower. In-game? Shouldn't change a whole lot.

You are so fast and so helpful
    /hugs and kisses

Goatman hit it spot on ~ whats the laptops resolution? If your looking to save some bucks drop down to 4gigs of ram ~ you wont notice it in games as I personally have never even used all 4gigs on my laptop.

If you're buying a laptop for the sole purpose of playing WoW, get a desktop instead.

Quote Originally Posted by electrikfuzz View Post
    If you're buying a laptop for the sole purpose of playing WoW, get a desktop instead.
    Why? You don't need a super powerful setup in order to play WoW. Desktops are more powerful than laptops, so there is no need to get a desktop if just want to play WoW.

@ OP, I think you should upgrade to 8GB since Sandy bridge uses dual channel RAM. Performance is probably not going to be noticeable, especially in gaming, but it was worth mentioning.

That laptop should be able to handle WoW fine at high/ultra settings you are looking for as the resolution is 1366x768, otherwise you might not get smooth fps everywhere because that graphics card is pretty low end for gaming in general, but pretty decent for laptops.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Another important question before I buy this computer, is Full HD Screen so important? What would it change for WoW and what would it change for PCs common use(movies/videos)...
    If so, how much more dollars would it worth normally?

Quote Originally Posted by yunuss View Post
    Another important question before I buy this computer, is Full HD Screen so important? What would it change for WoW and what would it change for PCs common use(movies/videos)...
    If so, how much more dollars would it worth normally?
    In regards of wow, It would decrease fps, simply put.