Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MAcragge View Post
    This, some of my favourite books of all time are Banks' Culture oriented novels. May i suggest starting with Consider Phlebas.

Also a quick mention for Peter F Hamilton's books. They make for good reading and are specifically about the Terran human race and their exploits once traveling beyond Earth.

I would have to second stranger in a strange land by Robert Heinlein and the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov . Or pretty much anything by Isaac Asimov or Robert Heinlein.
    tl;dr Is just another way of saying I am about to troll

Lot's of good suggestions here, so I won't repeat. Just want to add my favorite sci-fi books of all time:

The Commonwealth Saga by Peter F. Hamilton. Made up of two books, Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained. Brilliant epic hard sci-fi space opera. The man does an incredible job forecasting where the technological advancement of wormhole travel would lead society, from a cultural and political standpoint. On top of that, he crafted an incredible and top notch thriller encompassing politics, war, science, commerce and so forth.

10+ Year Old Account
    A Logic Named Joe is a series of Sci Fi book of short stories. It was written by Murray Leinster, and published in 1946. Some of the earliest work "predicting the internet". A lot of other early concepts of Sci Fi.

The Dead Space novel was surprisingly good. I don't know if you like Dead Space or not but I recommend it if you're a fan of the games.

Dominant Species was entertaining until it got all PSYCHIC POWERS!!!! on you. Then it just felt cheesy. I can't really think of any others at the moment that haven't already been listed.

Someone linked to 'The_culture' on wikipedia. Let me second that suggestion: Banks is a great author. I think you would like 'The Player of Games'. It is the easiest place to start and is a sort of first-contact scenario.

Enders Game is good, you could also read some Greg Bear. Very 'hard' sci-fi.

Deleted
    There is only one choice:

Deleted
    The Forever War - Joseph Haldeman

Deleted
    Do Androids dream of electric sheep? the novel that the film Blade runner is bases on
    The man in the high castle
    Ubik
    Neuromancer
    The long walk by Stephen King but published under the pseudonym Richard Bachman.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/i...266239&s=books

magicians guild: by trudi canavan is for me a really good 1

its about a girl that lives in the slums and later finds out she is a magician and must learn to control her powers, there are several books out already i'm on the second 1 and find it to be quit a good story

Deleted
    i would recommend Dune and The Dark Tower trilogy two of my favorite books

Deleted
    My favorites

Classics:

Dune
    Starship Troopers
    Do Robots dream of Electric Sheep
    Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
    Ender's Game
    2001 Space Odyssey
    I Robot
    War of the Worlds

I also really enjoyed the Halo novels

Dune, of course. But my personal favorite is "The Stars My Destination" by Alfred Bester.

<3 Xu