Honor points in battlegrounds - how are they awarded?

I have been getting extremely frustrated with the small number of honor points I am getting in random battlegrounds in comparison to other people in the group.

For example, in one warsong gulch match (NOTE: these numbers are not exact - what i am trying to point out is the way they compare):

Me (Alliance)

Killing blows - 3
    Deaths - 4
    Honourable kills - 35
    Damage done - 50,000
    Healing done - 1,096,000
    Flag captures - 2
    Flag returns - 0
    Honor gained - 46

A holy paladin (Alliance)

Killing blows - 3
    Deaths - 3
    Honourable kills - 37
    Damage done - 35,000
    Healing done - 965,000
    Flag captures - 0
    Flag returns - 1
    Honour gained - 203

This is how my stats compare in most battlegrounds I do...

Can anyone explain why I get only 25% as much honour as other people? From what I can see there isn't any massive difference between my stats and those of the other player. We were both on the same team and our team won the battleground. Do you get extra honor for having high reputation with a particular faction or having high level pvp gear? Do you need to have an arena rating?

This obviously isn't the result of guild perks giving +10% honor points or whatever (which, btw, my guild has anyway) - the difference is too huge.

At 200 honor points per run, it will take ~10 runs to get a piece of gear...at 40 honor points per run, it will take ~50 runs!!!

I have asked a lot of people about this and nobody has been able to explain it.

there pvp title? u ever notice HKrivate or grunt? u get more honor the more higher the rank is... he was just prolly at the right place at the right time for some of the kills... and he got 2 extra HKs which could have been generals or something... honor distribution is dumb in bgs but u gotta be with the crowd... and ull get more KBs and if u are lucky and u get the last kill shot(not the spell) then u get more honor...

atleast thats my 2 cents

Deleted
    My guess would be that it was his first BG of the day and thus he was awarded a lot of bonus honor, while you had already received yours that day.

Otherwise, maybe he spent more time healing the zerg in the middle of the map while you spent more time running after the flag. That way he'd get awarded a lot more "splash honor" from people fighting around him. However, I'm not sure how that would add up in his killing blows.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    My guess would be that it was his first BG of the day and thus he was awarded a lot of bonus honor, while you had already received yours that day.

Otherwise, maybe he spent more time healing the zerg in the middle of the map while you spent more time running after the flag. That way he'd get awarded a lot more "splash honor" from people fighting around him. However, I'm not sure how that would add up in his killing blows.
    With a similar number of HK's someone running with the zerg is going to get less than a smaller group. Another contributing factor is killing enemy's near BG objectives (towers/flags ect) yields more honor.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperomegaOP View Post
    there pvp title? u ever notice HKrivate or grunt? u get more honor the more higher the rank is... he was just prolly at the right place at the right time for some of the kills... and he got 2 extra HKs which could have been generals or something... honor distribution is dumb in bgs but u gotta be with the crowd... and ull get more KBs and if u are lucky and u get the last kill shot(not the spell) then u get more honor...

atleast thats my 2 cents
    2 things
    - no you don't get more honor for landing the killing blow
    - Killing people with high pvp titles will yield the same amount of honor as someone with no title (this was fixed early BC)

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll copy paste my reply to a similar thread awhile back, hope this helps:

These are honor points granted equally to -everyone- in the battleground, regardless of location:

1) Progress towards victory. This includes accumulating 160 points in Arathi Basin and Eye of the Storm, accumulating 200 points in Battle for Gilneas, capping a flag in WSG, EoTS, and Twin Peaks; destroying a tower in AV, and killing a captain in AV. Note that no extra honor is given to the person responsible for completing certain objectives - i.e there is no extra honor granted for personally capturing the flag.
    2) Ending a game. This is in addition to the honor points granted for completing a random battleground.

These are honor points granted to several players, but not all:

1) Being in a vicinity of a kill (various claims on the radius to receive an HK).
    2) Being in a vicinity of a kill while under the effect of Honorable Defender (50% more honor).
    3) Completing a random battleground. First time winners get 90 honor, repeat winners get 45 honor, losers get 15 honor. This is in addition to ending the game itself.
    4) Members of a high level guild may receive more honor due to guild perks.
    5) Guild members in the vicinity of a Guild Battle Standard receives more honor.

These actions do not directly grant honor:

1) Capping a base in AB, EoTS, Battle for Gilneas.
    2) Defending a base in AB, EoTS, Battle for Gilneas.
    3) Defending a graveyard or tower in AV.
    4) Capturing a graveyard in AV (note that destroying a tower does grant honor).
    5) Making a killing blow. You receive the same amount of honor whether it is you, or the person next to you who dealt the killing blow, assuming consistent presence or absence of Honorable Defender.

Yep, I'd nail it down to them getting having honorable defender a lot (standing at blacksmith is the best way to farm honor without doing anything), as well as the extra 90 honor they got for their first random bg win, where as you probably queued specificly for the bg!

Thanks for the post Corylyn - answers some questions

There gona give us some more honor gain in 4.1 but it's still not enough... cba to bg it's barely awards if you have to fight with newbs afk'rs and the rest that is actualy competent is HK'ing in the middle of the map...

/yay

Also, something I noticed not mentioned here that contributes in a large way:

Time in the battleground

If you joined halfway in, because someone dropped, you will get less honor at the end. People get the most honor when they are there from the start of the match until the end regardless of how well they personally did.

Deleted
    u do know theres some ppl that are dcoing the daily pvp quest right??????'

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kewidogg View Post
    Also, something I noticed not mentioned here that contributes in a large way:

Time in the battleground

If you joined halfway in, because someone dropped, you will get less honor at the end. People get the most honor when they are there from the start of the match until the end regardless of how well they personally did.
    I would think this is common sense... since if you're missing most of the action, you'd be missing the honor points.

Quote Originally Posted by Corylyn View Post
    I would think this is common sense... since if you're missing most of the action, you'd be missing the honor points.
    You'd think so, but it also attributes to overall honor, not just the fact that you missed out on objectives, HKs, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Generally the system for giving honor in WOW is pretty flawed.

I used to have a guildy back in the day who made an auto follow macro that allowed him to auto follow the closest person to him in a battleground & rebuff people at the same time.

He made craploads of honor easily by tapping it all the time while watching TV because the game actually thought he was helping. Needless to say when word got back to the rest of the guild we told a blizzard GM.

It's slightly better now about how it hands out honor but its still extremely easy to fool, cheat & work around.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

UPDATE: By only queuing for random battlegrounds, sticking in a small group of 3-4 people and hanging around bases, flag rooms, etc. I am now getting ~200 honour for a win.