Thread: Disc - Haste

Disc - Haste

Hey,

Need some help please, have been struggling to find a definitive answer as to what is a good level of haste for a disc priest.

Here is my issue: I love having low (if you can call it low) cast time GH's but at the same time I often find myself not needing to use it so much with disc's vast arsenal or good instants (if timed correctly ).

A % would be great with maybe some explanation as to why - like certain caps etc. Sorry if it sounds like i haven't done my research properly but I keep finding very opinionated answers. An answer that is derived mathematically would be awesome!

//Rabit

I would say that it depends a lot on the content your currently in, your healing style, and your fellow healers. For most T11 25 heroic encounters I run 5.2% haste unbuffed (w/ the shadow talent for 3%) and prioritize mastery to around 21%. For fights like H Chimmy I find that ~5% is too low to consistently hit two groups with PoH after a massacre, so I switch some pieces of gear out to get to ~7.5% unbuffed.

That said I don't tend to be a big GH caster, I rely far more heavily on my mastery buffed PW:S and penance. If I need to pump out a quick GH, utilize the speed buff from PW:S.

~Kara
    "Intelligence in chains loses in lucidity, what it gains in intensity." Albert Camus

For disc I would focus on mastery as well. I sit around 6% unbuffed haste and do not feel like any spell takes to long to cast.
    I am not bipolar. I am bi-winning. I win here, I win there. I am always winning. Duh

Quote Originally Posted by Karalana View Post
    I rely far more heavily on my mastery buffed PW:S and penance. If I need to pump out a quick GH, utilize the speed buff from PW:S.

~Kara
    Same here. Exact same actually. I don't really bother with haste tbh.

EDIT: Currently sitting at 7% Haste unbuffed.

0% ideally. Mastery is a far better stat. Now don't get me wrong, it's nice to have for certain fights, but what spells honestly get benefit from haste? Pen, GH, and PoH. Having crazy absorbs are much more important. I would say get whatever haste comes naturally on gear. Just make a BiS list prioritizing mastery (and crit I think - not for sure), only picking up whatever haste comes on pieces naturally. You'll probably end up with 5-7% easily. I personally keep a few pieces of gear in my bags that I've replaces just in case I need a few more % of any given stat.

I think it really depends on what content you are working on. In 10 mans I find that keeping a balance between haste and mastery is the way to go, but in 25 mans, mastery pulls way ahead.
    When i give my opinion I like to say that I give my 2 cents, which given the state of the economy is worthless, much like my opinion.

If you're going to be casting a lot of heals, as opposed to using instants, stack haste.

If you're going to be relying heavily on instants (lol bubble-spam), then stack mastery. It's also nice if you want to look good on the meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Liliyah View Post
    If you're going to be casting a lot of heals, as opposed to using instants, stack haste.

If you're going to be relying heavily on instants (lol bubble-spam), then stack mastery. It's also nice if you want to look good on the meters.
    Meterwhoring shouldn't be the decision you make your gearing around, though.

And Haste also scales your GCD down, linearly infact.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

More haste leads to faster Greater Heals, which mean being able to Shield the tank more often, ect. Although I tend to share most of my gear from Shadow spec with Discipline, and so my haste is very high anyway.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Deleted
    If you like spamming shields go all mastery.

If you like throwing Gheals, ProH, and smites go all haste.

That's pretty much it as far as disc gearing goes.

Deleted
    Gem/reforge int and mastery and just go with what drops for haste/crit. Once you reach the point where you get to chose items because they are rotting you will most likely know whats better for you and your healing setup.

A mathematical answer is very difficult to give for this question as it is entirely dependent on your role, the raid size, the specific encounter, the difficulty level [N v H], & your raid comp.

For raid healing, I personally find high HST levels to be more flexible and valuable at a T11 item budget as PW:S is very strong on its own accord and will get the job done even with lower levels of MST. For raid healing, the MST conversion to DA is nominal, even at high levels, so, in essence, if you stack MST, you are boosting PW:S. The question you have to ask yourself, then, is your current absorption amount on PW:S doing its job in preventing deaths? If so, then HST provides more flexibility for the rest of your arsenal. If not, then perhaps you could use a bit more MST.

Deleted
    Personally ive priotised haste over mastery as i run 10mans and bubble botting isnt exactly easy to attain with no shammy for tides realy.

Tooltip its at 15.38%, with some 12.02% (1539) from gear. thats unbuffed ofcourse, I still want more though, just doesnt feel right coming from a paladin with a 1.7 second divine light to any other healer where its 2.2sec+. it just doesnt feel right.

Majority of my healing comes from PoH/Aegis/penance on most fights, with some like Nef which is hugely tank healing orientated getting alot of greater heal/inner focus rotation abuse.

I don't know where i heard it from or why i started doing it, but i have been keeping my haste at 12%. After reading the above i think ill aim for 9/10% maybe a little bit less. At the moment i think that sort of haste level would suit my style of play. I'm all for damage mitigation which is what we truly excel at, but being able to throw out some heavy GH's or a few PoM's with PI on is invaluable at times.

P.S. Kelesti's sig sort of says it all.

Thanks for all your help.

//Rabit

15+ Year Old Account
    Haste is the best throughput secondary stat for all our spells, except for PWS (and PoM) of course. I'm collecting haste gear, and reforging/gemming for it after int and it works well for me (10man heroics context).
    With most hc encounters needing high mobility and/or forcing you to maximize througput in small time windows you can't go wrong with haste.
    2.09s gheals are pretty nice. Most of my healing comes from PWS, GH, penance and PoH. Absorbs are totalling 20-40% so I don't bother with mastery as haste boosts 100% of the spells.

Stood in the Fire chase_the_mofo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have 1.6% haste, all items full on matery. WHAT? I soak raid damage
    beats haste by far shot =)

Quote Originally Posted by chase_the_mofo View Post
    I have 1.6% haste, all items full on matery. WHAT? I soak raid damage
    beats haste by far shot =)
    Your shields do that, without stacking 100% mastery though.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Ok, so after doing some proper research and actually testing different set-ups in raid encounters i can definitely confirm haste is almost useless in 25 man encounters if you have a fairly balanced healing set-up, stacking mastery then and having good knowledge of when damage will be incoming really lets you abuse shields, in 10 man though i found 11/12% a nice sweet spot as i am doing a balance of damage mitigation and healing, i get tons more throughput with some added haste in 10 man encounters. I also think that most of us would have different opinions on this as im pretty sure our play styles are all in some way different.

Thanks again for all the help.