Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kc8pnd View Post
    I think you would be fine with more ram. Ram is huge in a game like this.
    Oh my God, you're misinformed.
    Ram means nothing to World of Warcraft. It has trouble exceeding 2 GB of Ram in fact. World of Warcraft relies 65% on CPU, 30% on GPU, and 5% on RAM. (Making those numbers up, but it's somewhere around there.) If you want to increase your World of Warcraft performance, you'll upgrade your CPU and your GPU. I don't know that much about AMD, but upgrading your MoBo and CPU should be incredibly cheap because their systems are incredibly cost friendly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I originally built this computer last july, with a Phenom ii x2 550, 4gb 1333 ddr3, ma770t-3dup motherboard, 8800 gt sc, and I always got acceptable framerates considering the age of the card. Its definitely not bad compared to the other parts in your computer.

Sounds like I should just upgrade everything except for the GPU and just keep it. Still learning but the i5 2500k sounds nice from what I have been reading.

Quote Originally Posted by bombardment View Post
    Sounds like I should just upgrade everything except for the GPU and just keep it. Still learning but the i5 2500k sounds nice from what I have been reading.
    If you want to spend $350+ for a p67 mobo and a i5 2500k just to bottleneck it with your 8800, the sure, go for it.

Edit: The only reason people said your graphics card is fine is because they assumed you had low performance standards/low budget. The i5 2500k is a high performance/high budget, you should let us know what your budget is if you want help building a pc.
    Last edited by Marrowwind; 2011-04-11 at 12:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What resolution are you playing at? 1080p will butcher an 8800GT.

I just started running 25M's and I usually get fp's around 10-30 and would like to keep this higher closer to 60.
    Close to 60 fps in 25m's...your computer will need an overhaul. Even an overclocked first-gen i5 will have trouble touching 60 fps @ decent settings, you're looking for a Sandy Bridge build I think :P

Honestly, I've found that I can raid perfectly fine at 25-35 fps in 25mans while fully being aware of the fight and maintaining max dps. It's only below 20 that I start getting affected by the low frames. WoW isn't some first-person-shooter where you need uber smooth gameplay and reflexes.
    But in shooters I find I need atleast 50-60 fps to be effective.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-04-11 at 01:44 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Marrowwind View Post
    If you want to spend $350+ for a p67 mobo and a i5 2500k just to bottleneck it with your 8800, the sure, go for it.

Edit: The only reason people said your graphics card is fine is because they assumed you had low performance standards/low budget. The i5 2500k is a high performance/high budget, you should let us know what your budget is if you want help building a pc.
    Forgot about the bottleneck issue using the old graphics card. Thanks.

@ Xuvial, have you compared gameplay/dps at 25-35 fps vs. 50-60?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bombardment View Post
    @ Xuvial, have you compared gameplay/dps at 25-35 fps vs. 50-60?
    I touch 50fps+ in 10mans, it's nice...but 25-35 is still smooth enough for WoW. Only below 20 fps do I start getting affected.
    But yeah, I know the difference because in shooters I absolutely need 50-60 otherwise I can't stand it :P
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze