Thread: Demon Souls

Deleted

Demon Souls

Hello , Ive decided to buy Demon Souls (PS3) this weekend after a friend continuously bragged on about it at college the other week saying how "awesome" and "hard" it is.. so in the meanwhile ive been looking at gameplay and forums just to see how "good" the game actually is.

So far ive seen alot of forums and youtube vids saying "definately one of the hardest/most fun games ive ever played", once you die, you lose everything right?, dont get me wrong, im not gonna complain i absolutely love games like these, i love the challenge.

What im asking of you guys is, what do you guys think of the game?, the Ups and Downs, and have any of you completed the game without dying?

Ishundra

10+ Year Old Account
    Great game, I love it. Good buy my man =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Good game but I cant help but feel like some of the environmental difficulty the game throws at you is kind of unnecessarily difficult. Like for example in one of the areas near the start of it are two guys throwing boulders down to try and hit you. Obviously dodge the boulders. But when they hit the ground they shatter and the pieces left over in the air still damage you. Now ok I could see some fragments doing damage but the amount of them dissipates until its just like dust in the air which still damages you. I mean yea obviously after you realized this you just wait till its all gone but at the same time I cant help but think its kind of stupid how some warrior would still take damage from some dust.

One other small complaint is the lock on system is very easy to accidentally mess up when turning and target something else which can be annoying when there are non-hostile enemies near you. Other then those couple complaints its definitely a great game.

On another note about the game I loved it when my character became a dark phantom and became a boss for someone else to fight. Reminded me a lot of the plots of the game cubes in the show ReBoot.

it is fucking hard, seriously. even though my 12 year old little brother (he was 11 at the time) beat the game 4 times. and my best friend (my age) beat it atleast 6 times. however i sucked big time at it, they found it fun and stuck thru till the end. at one point i had a decent character but then i got wtfpwnd by some doucher phantom who invaded my world and poisoned me and ran around till i died, it made me quit the game lol

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it beat me to the ground and I started crying when I first played it, It's an extremely great game :P

Just... challenging!

Deleted
    Thanks alot for your guy's feedback, definately going to spend days on this, and lmfao Resentful im sure ill shed plenty of tears with you aswell ^^

Ishundra

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishundra View Post
    Thanks alot for your guy's feedback, definately going to spend days on this, and lmfao Resentful im sure ill shed plenty of tears with you aswell ^^

Ishundra
    sniff... It scar'd me 4 LIFE

10+ Year Old Account
    Its a great buy (especially now you can find it for a bargain). It is hard, and unforgiving. This is a game where you have to manually block, and manually roll away from bad stuff.

When you die you lose all you had on your person, and restart at the begining of the level...with a lower maximum life (ghost form). Also everything is respawned. You can get back your lost stuff by getting to your blood splatter, but that is often times very hard.

Give you one example.

One of the early zones has you running across the ramparts of a great wall (think great wall of china). And as you sprint across between towers there is a huge dragon that constantly making passes (its a one shot if you get hit). So you have to time your runs across. I died alot on that part, also the more weight you are carrying the slower you are.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

I'd say it's a terrible game. It is just a glorified hacking and slashing fest, once you get the idea on how to dodge a specific type of enemy, it gets boring fast enough. Spells and casting are just bad. You have to wear rings in order to be able to regen mana.

The game is hard because it tries too hard to be hard. There is no checkpoint system, there is no saving unless you are at the end or at the start of a level, there is no real incentive to keep yourself alive. When you die, you play with less health but deal more damage, and only thing that makes you run to your corpse is because you leave all your XP on it. Once you spend all your XP, then being alive isn't really useful by itself.

The whole game is littered with "dodge outta this, dodge outta that" mechanics, and health pool of enemies are rather large so you have to deal with them for a while.

And once you get to know the mechanics....

The high level Red Eyed Knight at the very first level. Hit him with a spell, ran away, he resets but his HP does not. Do this twice and you level up like hell.
    The passing dragon at level two. Wait on top of any tower, hit him with ranged as he passes through the exact same spots. 10 minutes of this and you can kiss him goodbye and gain a huge chunk of XP and some valuable loot. Then return to first level and loot the stuff he was guarding. Trust me, 10 minutes of waiting bored is better than 5 minutes spent learning to time him. Because he does not respawn when you die to other shit. You can kill him for good.

Game tries hard to be challenging, and as such, it is way too easily broken. It is fun if you like melee, but mind numbing if you like caster. Mobs stay the same through the entire game, so it is very possible to farm the high level guys on lower levels and go through the game easily. Playing offline will protect you from the ass hats that try to make it even harder. (Seriously, the people who join and go hostile are almost always twice your level.)

The game is not hard by itself. The mechanics make it that hard. When you die, it is usually by your own mistake, that is good. But going through the entire level once more is not. The extra XP you get by that are easily farmed, so that isn't a real incentive to keep you pushing.
    "So, he sent a succubus to seduce you, and lure you down to his side. And yet, first thing you do is to check her ass? Ah, kid, you've got much to learn.."

I've only killed the first 3 bosses. The spider dude kicked my butt so many times the image of my death is burned into my retinas.

My ps3 is broken atm..

but i beat the game on 2 characters (twice each), and rerolled straight pvp characters.

one of the best rpg's i've ever played, easy 10/10.. i just wish the pvp was more supported, too much delay on what goes on :/

---------- Post added 2011-04-13 at 11:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Scorage View Post
    I'd say it's a terrible game. It is just a glorified hacking and slashing fest, once you get the idea on how to dodge a specific type of enemy, it gets boring fast enough. Spells and casting are just bad. You have to wear rings in order to be able to regen mana.

The game is hard because it tries too hard to be hard. There is no checkpoint system, there is no saving unless you are at the end or at the start of a level, there is no real incentive to keep yourself alive. When you die, you play with less health but deal more damage, and only thing that makes you run to your corpse is because you leave all your XP on it. Once you spend all your XP, then being alive isn't really useful by itself.

The whole game is littered with "dodge outta this, dodge outta that" mechanics, and health pool of enemies are rather large so you have to deal with them for a while.

And once you get to know the mechanics....

The high level Red Eyed Knight at the very first level. Hit him with a spell, ran away, he resets but his HP does not. Do this twice and you level up like hell.
    The passing dragon at level two. Wait on top of any tower, hit him with ranged as he passes through the exact same spots. 10 minutes of this and you can kiss him goodbye and gain a huge chunk of XP and some valuable loot. Then return to first level and loot the stuff he was guarding. Trust me, 10 minutes of waiting bored is better than 5 minutes spent learning to time him. Because he does not respawn when you die to other shit. You can kill him for good.

Game tries hard to be challenging, and as such, it is way too easily broken. It is fun if you like melee, but mind numbing if you like caster. Mobs stay the same through the entire game, so it is very possible to farm the high level guys on lower levels and go through the game easily. Playing offline will protect you from the ass hats that try to make it even harder. (Seriously, the people who join and go hostile are almost always twice your level.)

The game is not hard by itself. The mechanics make it that hard. When you die, it is usually by your own mistake, that is good. But going through the entire level once more is not. The extra XP you get by that are easily farmed, so that isn't a real incentive to keep you pushing.
    LOL

This was such a joke post
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

HAHA completed the game without dying. HAHAHA. No... *wipes away tears* no, nobody has done that.

Yes, it's an awesome game, assuming you love unmerciful, brutally difficult challenges. Best part is, there's supposed to be a sequel coming that's even harder.