Thread: ASUS Laptop

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

ASUS Laptop

Hello everyone. I am currently looking for a laptop, perhaps a mid-grade type one. I don't know a ton about graphic cards and I want one that will be suffice to run most games on max. I went to best buy the other day and looked at this one

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ASUS+-+L...&skuId=1774899

I talked to the employee about it for a while, and he told me that it can run every game right now on Max settings. I am not sure that the one in there was the exact specific graphics card as the one in the store, but I wanted to get your opinion on it, and perhaps anyone who knows more about Asus I would love your input. I just know that Asus was formally a software company? Or something of that sort, and now their making decent laptops for gaming use. Any input would be great, or if you know of any good laptops between the 1000-1500$ range let me know! Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    That will perform very well for you, the graphics card is top of the line for laptops at the moment. it's actually extremely cheap for the level of performance it's offering. I'd say buy it

No point in getting the i7 over the i5, not for most things anyway.

And also, I'd say this is higher than mid-grade.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have almost the same thing except my hard drive is 1TB and I love it! I would recommend getting it as that is a very good deal for the performance. Had mine for almost a year now and I haven't had any problems and still play with max settings. The only problem that I run into is the track pad is a bit wide and I like resting my wrists which can sometimes cause me to move my mouse/click on something on accident. Other than that it's a great buy!
    Now Casual Holy/Disc Priest: Summer of 2011

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.
    Thomas Jefferson

10+ Year Old Account
    I have an Asus laptop and it has never had a single problem other than the heat it can put out when the processor gets going. Simple fix is a fan, if that's the case. That one there looks pretty solid though, as far as specs go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodisius View Post
    I have almost the same thing except my hard drive is 1TB and I love it! I would recommend getting it as that is a very good deal for the performance. Had mine for almost a year now and I haven't had any problems and still play with max settings. The only problem that I run into is the track pad is a bit wide and I like resting my wrists which can sometimes cause me to move my mouse/click on something on accident. Other than that it's a great buy!
    If you use a USB mouse then you can change your settings to completely turn off the touchpad. :V

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the best gaming lappys atm, im considering buying one myself when i get a job haha :L

this wouldnt really be considered "mid-range", although there really isnt such thing as a midrange laptop that runs recent games on max. i own a similar laptop from asus (the 15'' version) and asus gives you these specs (esp the gtx 460m) for a few hundred dollars cheaper than alienware or any of the custom builder companies out there. i havent had any problems with it either, it runs quite cool with the bigass vents in the back. basically it's a great buy, if you are looking for a laptop that will run games at higher settings this is as cheap as it gets.
    afks - tichondrius

I've never been disappointed with anything ASUS I've ever owned.
    Even when something has broken/been DOA, ASUS has taken care of me very well.
    I bought an N61-J from ASUS and when I got it out of the box it was restarting outright and I sat on customer service line for awhile talking to a rep and he was very kind, friendly, etc...
    He eventually told me to take it back to microcenter so I wouldn't have to wait a month to get it back.

As far as performance goes, that laptop is a beast.
    The N61-J could do amazing things for the stats it had (Running some of the more CPU demanding custom game types in SC2 that my desktop stuggled on.) and I am sure this laptop could smoke it in performance.

Their laptops as also built like brick shit houses.
    I stepped on that N61-J and it still worked just fine.

A friend of mine has this laptop, and I've played WoW on it a couple times and it looks absolutely great, the keyboard feels smooth and the screen is so shiny and crisp and there are no hiccups at all, extremely fast for a laptop. (But not faster than my desktop =P its a beast)

I'm confident that you could play all games out right now on high graphics with it. But I haven't looked into the specs at all, I just know from using it a couple times that I could have easily bought one instead of my desktop.

where can i find? I want!
    i look online always sold out.

---------- Post added 2011-04-08 at 02:20 AM ----------

also the best buy one is pretty good I want one with 1.5g video imo also is the 3d worth it?

10+ Year Old Account
    I've got the G73JH (Essentially - the Canadian version) and I must say I've had no complaints about the thing besides an issue with trackpad - it occasionally registers taps or movements on locations where your hand is not - and can quickly drive you crazy. Some folks over at Notebook review have been playin around with it and found workarounds for some people, but no global solution

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus...ad-issues.html

However - I use a USB mouse anyway and the front of the laptop is large enough to be used as a makeshift mousepad for such things so I disabled the trackpad and haven't looked back.

Edit: The trackpad issue isn't an exclusive problem to the Canadian model, either.

Edited Edit: Still a laptop I'd recommend, however.
    Last edited by Sterilize; 2011-04-08 at 02:28 AM.

@OP: I have that laptop, it's alright...it doesnt seem like it was worth the money though.
    No world! You put YOUR hands up!

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the laptop i wish I would have bought. Instead I got a Toshiba Satellite with an i7 for 200 less only to find out it can't handle its own damn processor...imo if you want a gaming laptop go Asus every time. They are easily the best for the price. Not to mention the ridiculous fan system they have.

You could also probably get by with http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ASUS+-+L...&skuId=2043071 as well.
    Smaller screen, i5 processor, half the memory. Everything else is the same. It would still make most games its bitch I would think. And 200 dollars cheaper.

Edit: I'd say you would actually be better off with the i5. You save the money, lose some memory, but you keep everything else. It's also a hell of a lot more like a laptop instead of a desktop replacement. Glad I saw this actually, looks like I'm saving the money for a new laptop...lol
    Last edited by Shamslam; 2011-04-08 at 02:46 AM.
    I once had a character named "Clamslam" but Blizzard deemed it inappropriate.
    Retired from WoW: February 19, 2011. It was fun Blizz.

Deleted
    Asus makes some of the best PC hardware out there. Their motherboards especially have a very good reputation.

I can't really comment on their Laptops but I believe they are very good and not too clogged up with useless, pre-installed software.

As for the system itself, it seems a little excessive in some regards.

1. The i7 - 2630QM CPU is way overkill: While it's a great CPU it's overpowered for a laptop and the benefits over an i5-2500 are very minor. Basically you're paying for something you'll hardly able to utilize.

2. The 8GB RAM are overkill as well. No game and only very few applications will able to utilize it. On the other hand, RAM is very cheap at the moment and it might become useful in the future, since it's hard to upgrade Laptops.

3. 750 GB HDD at 7200 RPM. 7200 RPM HDDs are rare in Laptops. It should be sweet but loud.

4. NVIDIA GTX 460M graphics is the best GPU currently on the market for Laptops. However, the 560 should be just around the corner. Then again, it's only a very minor upgrade so no biggy.

Notes:
    -So much processing power in such a confined space means your PC will run very hot a lot of the time. Use it on a desk whenever possible.
    -I assume the screen is 1920x1080. If not, it should be, otherwise your GPU will be bored stiff.

The price seems very fair considering all that power. I think you're paying for stuff you don't need but at least the Laptop should last you until 2015. Take good care of it however, as it will be more of a desktop PC than a mobile computer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post

-So much processing power in such a confinded space means your PC will run very hot a lot of the time. Use it on a desk whenever possible.
    -I assume the screen is 1920x1080. If not, it should be, otherwise your GPU will be bored stiff.
    Screen is 1920x1080, yeah. The twin rear exhaust port design however keeps this thing amazing cool even under hours of heavy load provided you've got nothing obstructing them. Best design for that feature I've seen in a laptop to date.

Best computer I've ever known. Ever.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Asus is amazing, their hardware is great as well. keep in mind though, an 18 inch lap top isnt really a laptop, more like a desktop with a battery?
    Last edited by jmacphee9; 2011-04-08 at 02:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
    Asus is amazing, their hardware is great as well. keep in mind though, an 18 inch lap top isnt really a laptop, more like a desktop with a battery?
    And this particular one is also alarmingly heavy for a laptop

EDIt : The weight is just something to think about. Would you want to carry that around college ?

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolhand View Post
    And this particular one is also alarmingly heavy for a laptop

EDIt : The weight is just something to think about. Would you want to carry that around college ?
    thats what i was thinking, i use a 13" for school...
    there are a few good points in this thread though: 1) the computer is super sick.
    2)its way more then 99% of the world needs, i would believe it plays every game out there at 60 fps at max at a decent resolution. but for that price i would not complain...
    3) its big. imagine carrying an imac to class because it is fairly close to the same size and weight.