Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Generally the healthier I eat (no processed food, limiting junk food, etc, more fruits/veggies), the less sore I feel and the less injuries I have

10+ Year Old Account
    What I usually do after a nice workout is just stretch for a good 5 to 10 mins. But not too intense, just to keep the muscles going.
    After words, a nice warm shower, and then chocolate milk. I don't know why I always drink chocolate milk after works outs, though one of my trainers said that it would help. Just to recover the energy mainly. (Also just read Marco's post about it ~ thank you!)
    Just work out lightly when your beginning. Do light weights, jogs, and the casual crunches/push ups. Don't strain yourself too badly on the first few weeks. Gradually build up on what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentsnipe1212 View Post
    im weak for my body proportions (5'10 ~210 lbs) so last night during my workout naturally i feel sore today, i drank my recovery drink last night like my program recommends but today i feel a little too sore to do what i have to do tonite. what do you guys do if anything to help speed up recovery?
    Not to educated in this sort of thing, but I believe you shouldn't be working the same muscle group multiple times in a short period (2-3 days in a row) Atleast not when you're just starting what you're doing.

Stretching out and massaging the muscles both before and after working out greatly reduces soreness. Even when you're already sore, chances are if you stretch the muscles through the pain as much as you can and massage them, you'll reduce the pain you get from the area.

Deleted
    You should always stretch for about 15 min after you train. Also, make sure you warm up properly by jogging etc. till you build up a sweat and probably stretch a little. After you've stretched you should always have a hot shower. Then for food/drink I recommend plain old milk, chocolate milk works too but I find that semi-skimmed milk has the most protein in it. Personally I would stay clear of protein shakes or recovery drinks etc. milk is just as good for recovery and is so much cheaper. You might want to also have a banana or maybe some jam sandwiches. Finally, if you do wake up pretty sore, stretch it out a few times over the course of the day.

eat something high in protein with some fat in it within 20 minutes of a workout(many protein shakes are infact designed for this).
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

Deleted
    Smoke some weed. Eat lots of protein. Ham and chicken ftw.

Drink chocolate milk after a workout, it has the right amount of everything you need to recover. If you are really sore after a workout, you are either out of shape for what you are doing( I though I was in shape until I tried p90x) or pushing yourself too hard. The soreness will be less and less as the weeks go by and then you get hooked to working out and eating right because for me if I don't eat healthy after working out my body rejects the food(I only eat out on the weekends).
    Yes you are still the worst moderator on these forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    So unless you have a source besides your rectum, we'd appreciate if you didn't spread misinformation

Whey Protein and milk - Protein shake! All you need bro!

- Stretching is a must after every workout (as well as before). I personally use a rope stretching routine.
    - Protein is a great thing to have after a workout (30 minutes or earlier than I finish) to help for muscle repair and recovery.
    - Small amount of simple carbohydrates (again, 30 minutes or sooner) to help give a boost of energy post workout.

Typically I try to have a protein shake + some fruit after I work out.

I stretch with all my clients after they work out and always recommend the above once they leave.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    Doing 20-30 mins of cardio before a weights session makes the weights 30% more effective. Might be something worth thinking about

10+ Year Old Account
    Cup of oats and 8oz of skim milk with a scoop of 100% whey 30 minutes before and 8oz of skim milk with a scoop of 100% whey and 10oz of skim with 100% casein 30 minutes after.

STEEEEROIDS!

Seriously. Steroids.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Kiss her and go to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by FireBorne View Post
    Drink chocolate milk after a workout, it has the right amount of everything you need to recover. If you are really sore after a workout, you are either out of shape for what you are doing( I though I was in shape until I tried p90x) or pushing yourself too hard. The soreness will be less and less as the weeks go by and then you get hooked to working out and eating right because for me if I don't eat healthy after working out my body rejects the food(I only eat out on the weekends).
    Yeah and I bet you used homoginzed milk + shitty chocolate syrup, enjoy the 600 calories you probably didn't even burn off.

Stick with a whey protein and water. I personally have mine ready at the gym as I finish cause the most important time is that 20 minutes after your workout where your muscle are asking for that protein to repair them.

At home make delicious shakes with strawberries, blueberries, banana, ice, protein powder = a meal. I usually have 2-3 a day since they take 5 minutes to make and there is little to no mess with a blender.

Good luck

I eat a salad with boiled chicken. After that I fap, yeah I sayd it.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentsnipe1212 View Post
    im weak for my body proportions (5'10 ~210 lbs) so last night during my workout naturally i feel sore today, i drank my recovery drink last night like my program recommends but today i feel a little too sore to do what i have to do tonite. what do you guys do if anything to help speed up recovery?
    i lost my long version, so heres the short and sweet....if you put good effort into your lifting you will have DOMS (delayed muscle soreness)

-you need enough good calories
    -you need enough rest between lifting sessions for muscles to repair...you grow out of gym not inside.....some sort of cardio on non lifting days is more than fine if u want
    -you should probably consider a better structered workout split, to ensure enough rest between the muscles worked( i stay sore for 2-3days, with years of powerlifting/bbing exp...everyone is different)

Quote Originally Posted by Taters91 View Post
    Straight after a workout I do the same amount of strech's as I did before the workout, have a normal shower and then spend exactly 2 extra mins under ice cold water, after I lay down for 10 mins and then I feel like a new man lol.
    This is one of the key recovery aids. A contrast shower/bath. 1min hot (as hot as you can handle without burning yourself), 30sec cold (you'll have to fight the discomfort) - 5 times or so. This flushes out your system and actively forces the body to start replenishing the muscles with nutrients.

10+ Year Old Account
    Start taking creatine mono-hydrate (read how to take it) and put some glutamine in your "recovery" drink.