Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[10H] Conclave of Wind

Hello again! Our guild will be taking on Conclave of Wind on heroic next week and I just have a few questions before we start, as usual! On regular, we have 1tank+1heal+3DPS on Anshal, 1tank+1heal on Nezir, and 1heal+2DPS on Rohash, with the tanks/heals switching for every ultimate (DPS switch to soak a little and do some damage before going back, except for the healer at Rohash, who ignores ultimates until the end), how does this change on heroic? On regular, we usually finish this fight briefly after the second ultimate, is there a benchmark to aim for on heroic? Our raid composition looks like this:

Protection Paladin
    Feral Druid Tank
    Enhancement Shaman
    Frost/Unholy Death Knight
    Marksmanship/Survival Hunter
    Fire/Frost Mage
    Destruction/Demonology Warlock
    Holy/Discipline Priest
    Restoration Shaman
    Restoration Druid

We also have a Rogue of any spec who can come in if it matters. I have read up on the bosses and can see how a Rogue on Rohash would behoove us heh. What's the best way to go abouts dealing with this boss? I guess my biggest question is that do we need to do some funky player-platform switches in between ultimates or fiddle with our raid compositions (ie. 5 heal or like 3 tank)? Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Gah, this fight is complicated on heroic, so I'll try to keep it simple. You will get somewhere around 4 Ultimates. And yes, you will be switching platforms a lot.

Nature Platform: A Frost DK is perfect for kiting those adds (in our case, our DK tank switched to Frost DPS to kite them with Howling Blast). Add a healer, and two ranged dps to blow them up and get them out of the way. They're an absolute pain.

Frost Platform: One tank and one healer (me as Discipline) required. A stacking debuff that increases frost damage taken by x% will continue to accumulate for as long as you're on the platform. It lasts 30 seconds. This is why you will see a lot of switching. It's impossible to soak the debuff as the fight progresses. You'll get blown up.

Wind Platform: One healer and two dps. While on the platform you'll accumulate a stacking debuff exactly like the frost one only it increases nature damage taken by x% lasting for 30 seconds. This platform takes too long to explain and I'm going to assume you kinda know what's going on here since you've read some strats. Basically, blow up the stupid shield he throws up occasionally. If there ever was a time for DPS to shine, that's it.

People between Frost and Wind will switch all the time. After the first Wind Blast, Frost and Wind healers will switch places to drop stacks. One of the two DPS will switch as well, but they will head to the Nature platform to blow up the adds or hack at the boss. Frost and Nature tanks will switch places to drop stacks, as well. During the ultimates, one person must stay on the Wind and Nature platforms to eat the ultimate in order to avoid their respective raid-wide debuffs. The rest of the raid will stack on Frost for healing and Frost nukage before returning to their platforms and starting the cycle all over again.

On occasion, we did have our Feral Druid go bear form to tank Frost for a couple seconds so that the main tank there could drop damage debuff and return. We can't just switch our Nature and Frost tanks because of the Nature adds that spawn. Our Frost/Blood DK must be there for proper kiting. So, when our pally tank can't bubble off the frost debuff, our druid goes bear and pops CDs for 10 seconds or so until he can get back.

Confused yet?

However, this is our strat simply because our raid doesn't have the proper make-up for other popular (and easier) strats--even if we do sit alternative dps in. I admit, I don't know intimate details about the Nature platform because I'm one of the healers that has to worry about what's going on with Frost and Wind. But I can tell you alllll about those two if you really want me to.

TL;DR: Put a healer on each platform, switch around as needed and blow stuff up. I really really really hate this fight.
    Last edited by Lumpriest; 2011-04-08 at 09:11 AM.

Wow... sounds like a fun but complicated fight. I'll try to absorb this and figure out the best way for my group. Quick question, so you don't have a permanent tank for Anshal? Or do you have 2 DK's?
    Last edited by timoseewho; 2011-04-08 at 09:12 AM.

We have one DK tank who is Blood/Frost. For this fight, he goes Frost to properly kite the adds. Remember how the adds do little explode-y nova things around them that you can pretty much ignore in normal mode?

They're a little bit harder to ignore on heroic. Lol. They will kill you. That's why a Frost DK is perfect. Use Howling Blast to slow the adds so they don't catch up and explode all over your face. Boomkins with glyphed shrooms and frost/fire mages are also useful for slows while still being able to dish out the dps necessary to burn 'em down.

It is kinda fun once you get in the grove of things. The fight looks and sounds complicated on paper, but I promise things become much clearer after a few attempts and seeing how the fight actually works with your own eyes and experience. This is one of those fights where you just have to work with your group until you find something that works for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    At 7/13 we definitely wiped to this 2 or 3x as much as we did to anything else(probably omnotron being the highest). We worked our strategy out very early on but kept having minor screwups that would cause an instant wipe(usually wind blast or stray add going on tank).

We went with this setup:

Anshal
    Prot Warrior
    Demo Lock
    Frost DK
    Survival Hunter
    Holy Priest

Nezir
    Blood DK
    Disc Priest

Rohash
    Frost Mage
    Balance Druid
    Holy Paladin

Frost DK kites add with hunter aoeing them, demo lock joins in after toxic spores. For Rohash, the paladin/druid go to frost a little after stormshield(started staying a little longer because of overall dps issues from druid leaving too soon), and the disc priest comes over.

Before the ultimate at 80-85 energy, the disc priest and everyone from Anshal go to frost, and we leave the Mage on Rohash. The DK and Warrior switch of course, so the DK is alone on Rohash since he can cooldown and loldeathstrike himself with no survivability problems. Everyone goes back after ultimate.

Repeat same as before. Mage cold snaps so he can stay for another ultimate. Tanks swap again, but the holy priest stays with him on anshal for the 2nd ultimate. Extra healing cooldowns popped to compensate for 1 less healer/person on frost platform.

This time, the Paladin/Mage go to frost and swap with the priest, leaving the druid/priest on rohash. For this ultiamte the druid stays on rohash and heals himself.

We burn Anshal/Rohash at same time, holding dps to make sure they die within 2-3 seconds of each other. Adds are just kited and not dpsed if they spawn. After they die everyone jumps to frost and bloodlusts/pops cooldowns/dpses like crazy. We beat the res by like 1/4 of a second for our first kill(tank messed up countdown so no dps had potions available for the burn because of messed up pre potting + 2 people died to frost patches few seconds before kill).

Fight is an enormous pain.

For your group I would put Frost Mage + Enhancement on Rohash and the other dps on Anshal. Demo lock absolutely murders the adds but from my experience wont be able to put out as much in the burn on nezir unless he happanes to have all cooldowns available. If you have no problems aoeing them with him as destruction, keep him as that imo. Also when people leave nezir try to get all dots refreshed before they swap. every bit of damage on him before the burn helps.
    Last edited by Aeiri; 2011-04-08 at 10:20 AM.

Hey, just a question. After the first storm shield, the nezir+rohash healer will change. At the ultimate the Rohash healer will change, how many stacks will the Nezir healer have? Will it be doable or does he have too change with Anshal healer?

Quote Originally Posted by madmessias View Post
    Hey, just a question. After the first storm shield, the nezir+rohash healer will change. At the ultimate the Rohash healer will change, how many stacks will the Nezir healer have? Will it be doable or does he have too change with Anshal healer?
    He should be switching with the Rohash healer just after the storm shield and coming back for the ultimate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by timoseewho View Post
    Hello again! Our guild will be taking on Conclave of Wind on heroic next week and I just have a few questions before we start, as usual! On regular, we have 1tank+1heal+3DPS on Anshal, 1tank+1heal on Nezir, and 1heal+2DPS on Rohash, with the tanks/heals switching for every ultimate (DPS switch to soak a little and do some damage before going back, except for the healer at Rohash, who ignores ultimates until the end), how does this change on heroic? On regular, we usually finish this fight briefly after the second ultimate, is there a benchmark to aim for on heroic? Our raid composition looks like this:
    Protection Paladin
    Feral Druid Tank
    Enhancement Shaman
    Frost/Unholy Death Knight
    Marksmanship/Survival Hunter
    Fire/Frost Mage
    Destruction/Demonology Warlock
    Holy/Discipline Priest
    Restoration Shaman
    Restoration Druid
    We also have a Rogue of any spec who can come in if it matters. I have read up on the bosses and can see how a Rogue on Rohash would behoove us heh. What's the best way to go abouts dealing with this boss? I guess my biggest question is that do we need to do some funky player-platform switches in between ultimates or fiddle with our raid compositions (ie. 5 heal or like 3 tank)? Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    I would highly recommend that you have your rogue come in for this fight. A rogue can stay on the Wind platform through the ultimate and then cloak off the stacks as well as healing through recuperate. Non-rogue dps have a hard time staying alive through the ultimate since they either can’t reset stacks, can’t self-heal, or both. If you don’t have the rogue then you generally need a healer to stay on Wind and that means single-healing the Frost ultimate, which is tough.

Your Frost DK can and should kite the adds on Nature, while 2 other dps there AoE them down. Pick 2 out of your lock, hunter, and mage. You’ll have 1 tank/healer there on Nature, and 1 tank/healer on Frost. Then you’ll have 1 healer and 2 dps on Wind. Our priest is Disc for this fight and is the healer on Wind. One of the 2 dps should be your rogue. The other just depends what kind of burst they can put out because the shields need to be destroyed as fast as possible. Frost mage is a good option since deep freeze hits quit hard and they can follow it up with an FoF IL or FFB. You’d have plenty of AoE with the hunter/lock being on Nature so that would work. I’m not sure how much burst an Enhancement Shaman has, but if its decent that is another option although having a ranged over there with the rogue makes things easier to dodge things and switch platforms in my opinion.

The tank/healer teams will need to switch just before each ultimate (I think ours go at 85-87 energy), and everyone besides the tank/healer who just left Frost and the Rogue on Wind should stack together on Frost for the ultimate. Set up a rotation of healing CDs and plan on 4 ultimates.

With 3 dps on Nature and only 2 on Wind, even with the AoE’ing of the adds on Nature and his healing some during his ultimates, you’ll find that Nature tends to go down quicker than Wind. The way we off-set this and keep them even is that all the DK and other 2 dps hop over to Frost as soon as the adds are down (its usually around 80 energy, so it’s a bit before the tank/heals switch) and that also gives a little more dps onto Frost which makes it easier to down it once the other two die, although by then for us Frost is fairly low anyway and the last burn phase only lasts 20-30 seconds.

After taking a look at some of your strategies and recommendations (thanks tons!) I've finally wrapped my head around this and have pretty much summarized the jobs of each individuals in my raid:

Protection Paladin - Starts on Anshal and switches with Nezir's tank before EVERY ultimate
    Feral Druid Tank - Starts on Nezir and switches with Anshal's tank before EVERY ultimate
    Enhancement Shaman - DPS'es Rohash (contemplating if I should switch him out for our Rogue, and if I DO use a Rogue, can he stay on Rohash the whole time assuming that he uses his CD's wisely?). I'm still unsure how to perform this switch without a Rogue hehe
    Frost/Unholy Death Knight - Specs frost and kite the adds on Anshal FULL-TIME (should he be staying on the platform even through the ultimate? Should other DPS on Anshal even bother helping him with killing the adds or just DPS Anshal full-time?)
    Marksmanship/Survival Hunter - DPS'es Anshal and helps with adds if necessary and switches to Nezir before EVERY ultimate, and back after
    Fire/Frost Mage - DPS'es Rohash and switches to Nezir before EVERY ultimate, and back after
    Destruction/Demonology Warlock - DPS'es Anshal and helps with adds if necessary and switches to Nezir before EVERY ultimate, and back after
    Holy/Discipline Priest - Heals the Rohash DPS and switches to Nezir before EVERY ultimate
    Restoration Shaman - Heals the Nezir tank and switches with Anshal's healer before EVERY ultimate
    Restoration Druid - Heals the Anshal tank and switches with Nezir healer before EVERY ultimate

Correct me if anything seems off! I'm a little concerned with solo healing Nezir during the ultimate, from which platform can I spare a healer during their respective ultimates? thanks again!
    Last edited by timoseewho; 2011-04-11 at 08:32 AM.

If your demo lock is really, really good you can 2 man the adds as demo lock/frost DK for some extra insurance on breaking the shield(depending on how that goes). It does mean a lot more dps juggling (rohash will be super low and anshal super high) but it can erase your shield woes.

Just a few questions after an hour of attempts, does the Rogue on the wind platform need to spec subtlety (to survive the ultimate and all)? For some reason I think of the wind platform like the Twilight Realm on heroic Valiona/Theralion lol. We were struggling a little bit on the life side with our DPS DK kiting the adds. How do we know when to interrupt the adds? Do they all cast it at the same time regardless of them being spawned at different times? How we were doing it was just have the DK permanently kite the adds and have the other 2 DPS (Hunter/Warlock) AoE them down, is there a better way to do this (ie. having the tank on that platform tank/kiting OR having that DPS DK tank the adds upon a successful stun, in DPS gear)? Is it best to just have the DK permanently kite the adds without DPS even bothering with them? Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Just a few questions after an hour of attempts, does the Rogue on the wind platform need to spec subtlety (to survive the ultimate and all)? For some reason I think of the wind platform like the Twilight Realm on heroic Valiona/Theralion lol. We were struggling a little bit on the life side with our DPS DK kiting the adds. How do we know when to interrupt the adds? Do they all cast it at the same time regardless of them being spawned at different times? How we were doing it was just have the DK permanently kite the adds and have the other 2 DPS (Hunter/Warlock) AoE them down, is there a better way to do this (ie. having the tank on that platform tank/kiting OR having that DPS DK tank the adds upon a successful stun, in DPS gear)? Is it best to just have the DK permanently kite the adds without DPS even bothering with them? Thanks!
    I didn't think our rogue was Sub for the fight and looking at logs confirms it; he's Assassination. I believe that all the adds cast their explosion thing at the same time although I'm not 100% on that. Our DK kites them initially (I'm not sure if he just kites them during their cast or if he interrupts it but I think I see them frozen by hungering cold sometimes so he probably is interrupting it). Once they are done casting and in position then he just tanks them so we can AoE more effectively. If AoE is a little slow (which usually happens every other time since I don't have combustion up to spread to them) then he starts kiting again before they cast on him as we finish them off. They are definitely tankable without too much trouble as long as they aren't casting their explosion thing.

I do know that some guilds kite the adds indefinitely with a frost DK and never dps them. We do not for a couple of reasons: that's one less person to stack up for the ultimate on frost platform, and then we'd definitely need to redistribute our dps. As we do it now, with us AoE'ing the adds, we have our nature dps switch to frost immediately after the adds are dead and that keeps the wind and nature guys going down at about the same pace.

Thanks for the reply! I actually found out that Toxic Spores, the AoE, is on a timer and first happens ~5 seconds after the last one spawns and has a 15 second CD. What I want to do next time is just have the current tank on Anshal ALSO pick up the adds, and we'll rotate Shadowfury and Hungering Cold 2 seconds before Toxic Spores comes off CD and just AoE them down. I'm thinking Shadowfury alone is enough to buy us time to kill them all. If this doesn't work, we may go back to DK kiting, does your DK do it in all DPS spec AND gear? What about his presence? I hate to keep bothering about this, but I really appreciate the information you've provided!

I actually forgot! The healing thing Anshal drops under the adds, does anyone happen to know how that timer coincides with Toxic Spores?
    Last edited by timoseewho; 2011-04-15 at 07:53 PM.

I just want to add this fight took an incredibly long time to beat in 10 man and don't get discouraged if you have to go through 30-40 attempts. Basically the execution needs to be perfect and one screwup will wipe a raid, and every single person (except maybe the nature platform healer) has a huge amount of responsibility.

One thing to keep in mind is everyone needs to be thinking ahead during the fight about what is going to "happen next." Getting five seconds behind will result in someone not being on the platform they should, or not having their debuff drop when its supposed to, etc. I imagined this fight like playing tetris on super fast mode where the only way to keep up is to constantly watch what block is going to fall next, so you can plan accordingly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the reply! I actually found out that Toxic Spores, the AoE, is on a timer and first happens ~5 seconds after the last one spawns and has a 15 second CD. What I want to do next time is just have the current tank on Anshal ALSO pick up the adds, and we'll rotate Shadowfury and Hungering Cold 2 seconds before Toxic Spores comes off CD and just AoE them down. I'm thinking Shadowfury alone is enough to buy us time to kill them all. If this doesn't work, we may go back to DK kiting, does your DK do it in all DPS spec AND gear? What about his presence? I hate to keep bothering about this, but I really appreciate the information you've provided!

I actually forgot! The healing thing Anshal drops under the adds, does anyone happen to know how that timer coincides with Toxic Spores?
    Our DK is in dps spec and gear. I don't know if he switches to blood presence or not. My guess is that he does though. I'm not sure of the exact timing, but Anshal drops the healing circle after the adds have been up for a few seconds because I know it happens while the DK is kiting them so it will be right around when they cast Toxic Spores. I think you will run into problems with the Anshal tank also tanking the adds because of the healing circle and toxic spores being timed together. Since you have a DK already, its going to be easier on your tank and healer there to just have him kite them away from the boss and then he'll still be able to unleash his AoE once they are out of the healing circle and their cast is done or has been interrupted. Now that I think about it, I believe that our DK kites during their first toxic spore cast, since he has to get them moving away from the boss and/or a healing circle, and then uses Hungering Cold if they get to a second cast. That seems to be the best way to do it; you could try the rotating stuns as well, but if you have to stun right around when the healing circle is cast then they'll get stunned in it and you'll have to waste time getting them out and it just seems less effective to me.

Thank you! Do you happen to know how many stacks of the frost debuff is considered 'unsafe' and required a tank/heal switch? Is it designed in a way that the only times the tanks/heals from the nature/frost need to switch is before every ultimate (~80-85 energy)? I've heard people do switches around the 10-20 energy points as well (after the first ultimate and others after), pretty much timed so the nature tank/heal have their frost debuffs gone. I can see why people would do this since the tank/heal who went from nature->frost would be stacking the debuff during the ultimate, which the initial tank/heal didn't have to deal with this accumulated stacks BEFORE the very first ultimate. My question is, is it necessary to perform that many switches or is it easily heal-able? A stupid question that just popped in my head and I'll ask anyways hehe is, since Anshal/Nezir port to the middle of their platforms to cast their ultimate, if the tanks just get out of range, will they not get melee'ed? Thanks!
    Last edited by timoseewho; 2011-04-16 at 07:15 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTLvb...layer_embedded

Have your DK watch that video. Although its a 25m guild, same ideas still apply.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you! Do you happen to know how many stacks of the frost debuff is considered 'unsafe' and required a tank/heal switch? Is it designed in a way that the only times the tanks/heals from the nature/frost need to switch is before every ultimate (~80-85 energy)? I've heard people do switches around the 10-20 energy points as well (after the first ultimate and others after), pretty much timed so the nature tank/heal have their frost debuffs gone. I can see why people would do this since the tank/heal who went from nature->frost would be stacking the debuff during the ultimate, which the initial tank/heal didn't have to deal with this accumulated stacks BEFORE the very first ultimate. My question is, is it necessary to perform that many switches or is it easily heal-able? A stupid question that just popped in my head and I'll ask anyways hehe is, since Anshal/Nezir port to the middle of their platforms to cast their ultimate, if the tanks just get out of range, will they not get melee'ed? Thanks!
    Our tanks only switch every ultimate so I don't see why you'd need to switch earlier or worry about a specific number of stacks. They definitely save their various CDs for later in the that phase as the damage stacks but it shouldn't require switching earlier. I'm not really sure what question you are asking about the tanks getting out of range and their ultimates unless you mean do they melee during their ultimates, which they do not.

You can't stop the toxic AoE, since it's the boss that cast it on the adds. What we do is simply frost nova the adds, run away from the AoE and then AoE nuke them all down in less then 15 seconds.

Make sure the DPS decides who's popping what CD each wave. The ideal spec is moonkin, but good specs that you have are fire, demo, would probably use the hunter for the last spot since DKs are great at the shield.

This way everyone but the tank jumping from frost will be on the frost platform, and that makes a lot of difference, and with 3 healers it's a faceroll.

Deleted
    Hi,

Does someone try to kite the adds on Anshal's plateform with a warrior, using Piercing Howl ?
    I have noticed that we can fear them, stun them, and slow them.

Do you think that a prot-warrior can do the same job as the Frost-DK ? cause for now, my guild does'nt have one.

Thx