Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I've never played guitar hero so I can't really say, but I've seen others play and I don't think it's that similar.
    Eitherway, you get to play what YOU want That's the main reason I like instruments

Learning how to play real guitar is VERY different. For one thing, it actually requires some skill.
    "With this costume, I'll get Asian girls for sure!"
    - Judge Malthred revealing my avatar's inner thoughts

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who has been playing Guitar Hero since it first came out (I cleared the game on expert about a month after it was out), on top of actually playing guitar, don't let people fool you. The two are really really different. The best it can offer is developing muscle in your fingers and forearm. A tiny bit of rhythm and hand coordination too.

Aside from that, you won't gain as much as you'd like to think. The strummer is VERY different from actually using a guitar pick with a guitar, and not just because you have to hit different strings. The strummer moves in an arc and the movement with your hand is WAY wider, which requires a different muscle use from actual guitar picking. Ugh, it's kind of hard to explain really unless you've done both.

Deleted
    The only practice you get from GH is the timing.
    In my opinion playing real guitar is alot better training. I've been playing for 3 months now after a long break. (I played in an orchestra before for kids, 20 people ) and the best way to practice is to check up tabs on youtube or google and just listen to the song for playstyle and then play.