Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ranged DPS classes.

Which ranged DPS classes perform well in raids at 85? I have several low level casters and I'm not sure which to focus on the most. My main is a shaman (was ele, now resto) and I don't want to have the unpleasant experience of finding out my spec isn't that great once again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    I think this should win some kind of award. I mean, we must now have had one post about literally EVERY SINGLE FEATURE in the ENTIRE GAME which "ruined wow".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalinth View Post
    Which ranged DPS classes perform well in raids at 85? I have several low level casters and I'm not sure which to focus on the most. My main is a shaman (was ele, now resto) and I don't want to have the unpleasant experience of finding out my spec isn't that great once again.
    warlocks never seem to fail imo, basically casters perform best in PvP these days

I would say that ATM spriests are doing very well. so does fire mages but blizz can change it any given patch . I would go for the priest though as you can off spec to heals if the raid needs to . more flexibilty will give you more raid invites as well . as a pure dps player I can only tell you NOT to go with a pure dps class .

Raiding depends on the flavor of the month class/spec. The best option is to have multiple alts... or choose the playstyle you enjoy most.

Nobody is a fortune teller here...

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Hunters > Mages > Locks.

Only for raiding though.

Shadowpriest and moonkins are very high, although now with the kinda big nerf to Dark Intent they might go downa bit to actually match other ranged dps.

Ele is actually pretty decent atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    play whatever you find fun. dont worry about numbers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by raintrees View Post
    play whatever you find fun. dont worry about numbers.
    This, Patches come and go. So does the "Better" class. You should just pick the class you like to play and go for it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Durh View Post
    warlocks never seem to fail imo, basically casters perform best in PvP these days

This is a PvE thread, Hunters are quite decent overall, Mages are usually in a good place, as are locks.
    In PvP though, Mage is probably your best bet.

Lots of misinformation here. Use stateofdps for accurate comparisons of raid dps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    Ele is actually pretty decent atm.
    April Fools is over m8.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    April Fools is over m8.
    This, exactly. It's widely acknowledged that ele isn't performing well at the moment, and the 4.1 changes aren't really going to fix anything. Stateofdps is, in their own language, "comprised of top parses from World of Logs." That's not an accurate reflection of the vast majority of WoW players. We're not all in heroic raid gear - and it's been stated all over these forums that ele scales very heavily with gear. Spec needs some help, imo.

OT: I consistently see hunters, spriests, mages, and locks top our 25H charts, usually in that order. Spriests and mages often fight for 2nd place and are pretty close.

Hunters are pretty strong atm, in fact all three specs are raid viable for the first time in WoW history. I've been a hunter since TBC and hunters have been at or near the top since....they have been the most stable PvE class in the game by a long shot, IMO, at least in terms of dps.

Really everything's viable right now, it just depends on the playstyle you like.

I personally love my Hunter more than anything I have at the moment. But it does actually take some time to learn all the tricks a hunter can do. But then, you did say you have several casters, so maybe hunter's just not for you?

Mages apparently require a lot of timing (fire anyway, I don't hear much about arcane anymore), and initially have some dps troubles. It's when they get a lot of crit on their gear that they really start rocking the charts.

Boomkins are nice, but they do require a LOT of movement. The best way to AOE on a boomkin is to cast moonfire, but there's a talent or something that makes your moonfire do more damage the more you move, stacking up to three times. So our boomkin will aoe while strafing back and forth, constantly.

I've seen the mage and boomkin (especially the boomkin!) in my raid pull very nice dps on bosses, so if you're just interested in the dps aspect, go for it.

We do have one shadow priest in our raid, but it seems like they might have a little bit of a dps issue? Either the class or the player, this one is usually the last in our dps charts.

Hope that helps somewhat!

*edit: We actually have an enhance shaman in our raid, that usually is in the top 3 dps (we're 1/13 heroic now, just as a comparison point), so shamans aren't as bad as you might think! Though our resto shaman does seem to go OOM much faster than our resto druid/priest.
    Last edited by Marintha; 2011-04-10 at 01:27 AM.

lock here...quit a week ago, but was always topping charts.

Locks are pretty well capable of pulling off big numbers in lesser gear, compared to other classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're doing it wrong. What might be a good spec right now for end game raiding might change on a patch by the time you get to 85. Just find a class and a spec that you actually enjoy playing. Once you do that find out everything you can about the class and the spec and how to maximize its potential. You will get a lot more enjoyment out of your toon that way than just playing a spec that is currently on top of the dps logs. Some guilds will try to force you into playing a particular spec just stand your ground you're paying your monthly subscription not them. You might have to search a little harder for a guild that will allow you to do that but it will be worth it to you.

Can't believe only one person has mentioned hunter's. :x There damage is insane currently, even in average gear.

I'm mostly interested in casters; hunter is a bit "meh" for me. I actually have a 34 druid and a 45 warlock, and I'm liking the idea of a balance druid more. Thanks for all the advice.

And to the guy who said elemental is good: don't be ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    I think this should win some kind of award. I mean, we must now have had one post about literally EVERY SINGLE FEATURE in the ENTIRE GAME which "ruined wow".