Deleted

How do I improve this rig ?

Hey Guys,

i am not great with determining exactly what the game needs most (WoW).
    I would like to have such a smooth experience that graphics are high, and FPS remains decent, while I fraps.

I am usually around 40-60 fps, but if I start frapsing, I go down to like 14.
    I have been told it's the hard drive, but wanted to check with you essperts

So here is my rig, how do i get more for my buck ?

Thanks in advance.

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP35 DS3L
    CPU : IntelCore 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33 Ghz
    Ram: 6 Gig Corsair (upgraded quite recently, 6 months)
    Graphics Card : ATI Radeon HD 4600
    Hard Drive : WD 6400AAKS (Sata)
    Case : Coolmaster somthing (one of the cheaper ones i would have thought)

If you need anything let me know. I'm not great with peripherals.

Thanks all
    Last edited by mmoc8ee790e781; 2011-04-09 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eiffeltower View Post
    Hey Guys,

i am not great with determining exactly what the game needs most (WoW).
    I would like to have such a smooth experience that graphics are high, and FPS remains decent, while I fraps.

I am usually around 40-60 fps, but if I start frapsing, I go down to like 14.
    I have been told it's the hard drive, but wanted to check with you essperts

So here is my rig, how do i get more for my buck ?

Thanks in advance.

Motherboard: Gigabyte EP35 DS3L
    CPU : IntelCore 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33 Ghz
    Ram: 6 Gig Corsair (upgraded quite recently, 6 months)
    Graphics Card : ATI Radeon HD 4600
    Hard Drive : WD 6400AAKS (Sata)
    Case : Coolmaster somthing (one of the cheaper ones i would have thought)

If you need anything let me know. I'm not great with peripherals.

Thanks all
    As for the HD:

its ok but if you want to up Fraps performance you'd probably want to get a high-density platter drive of some sort (Cav black, F3)

For the RAM, are you running 3X2GB modules? Because that mobo is dual channel (not like the performance difference will be HUGE, but its nonzero).

Graphics card could definitely use an upgrade.

Case is mostly aesthetic and airflow/room at best so unless you're having issue with one of the above it shouldn't need changing.

You could replace mobo + cpu with a iX chip, or get something like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-060-_-Product, although I think it wouldn't really be worth it in your case, if you can save up to upgrade Mobo + CPU that is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ayako View Post
    As for the HD:

its ok but if you want to up Fraps performance you'd probably want to get a high-density platter drive of some sort (Cav black, F3)

For the RAM, are you running 3X2GB modules? Because that mobo is dual channel (not like the performance difference will be HUGE, but its nonzero).

Graphics card could definitely use an upgrade.

Case is mostly aesthetic and airflow/room at best so unless you're having issue with one of the above it shouldn't need changing.

You could replace mobo + cpu with a iX chip, or get something like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-060-_-Product, although I think it wouldn't really be worth it in your case, if you can save up to upgrade Mobo + CPU that is.
    Thanks a lot.

Yes I have atm 3x2Gig modules for the RAM.

If I understand correctly, best way to "Fraps better" would be to ugrade Hard Drive.

Then for general performance, Graphics Card > Mobo + CPU (in terms of bang for my buck?)

For fraps speed the upgrade path should be HDD > CPU+mobo+ram > graphics card.
    Just to get higher framerate in wow with better quality settings it's cpu+mobo+ram > graphics card > HDD.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    If you got the money, invest in an SDD. Those buggers will make Fraps perform like a greased lightning.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    For fraps speed the upgrade path should be HDD > CPU+mobo+ram > graphics card.
    Just to get higher framerate in wow with better quality settings it's cpu+mobo+ram > graphics card > HDD.

thanks v much. Thats good to remember, just like stat weights.

Looking at a HDD here : http://www.rueducommerce.fr/Composan...NG-HD103SJ.htm

Then I guess looking next at mobo + CPU, but that's a little more expensive.

---------- Post added 2011-04-10 at 10:53 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fullblod View Post
    If you got the money, invest in an SDD. Those buggers will make Fraps perform like a greased lightning.
    gosh i'm so lost in hardware....
    Looking at SSD drives ( suppose its what u meant) but now its not platter drives ? so works different ? They do look more expensive.

Uhhhh ok maybe i'm dumb. But why are the SSD much lower memory volumes ? 40/64/80Go ? uhhhh, what ?
    Last edited by mmoc8ee790e781; 2011-04-10 at 10:57 AM.

Yep, that disc you're looking is excellent value for price. To get most out of fraps with it, format it into two 500GB parts and use the first part only for video capture. Second half can be for other fluff, and still keep Windows and WoW running on the old disc. Or you can make the fraps disc smaller if you feel like you don't need 500GB for it. 1920x1080 at 30fps takes around 180GB per hour, so 500GB disc will hold bit under 3 hours of raw video capture which isn't that much. On lower settings than fullHD it will last longer.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Yep, that disc you're looking is excellent value for price. To get most out of fraps with it, format it into two 500GB parts and use the first part only for video capture. Second half can be for other fluff, and still keep Windows and WoW running on the old disc. Or you can make the fraps disc smaller if you feel like you don't need 500GB for it. 1920x1080 at 30fps takes around 180GB per hour, so 500GB disc will hold bit under 3 hours of raw video capture which isn't that much. On lower settings than fullHD it will last longer.
    Thanks , I might just do that. Am reading up on SSD drives, which indeed look insane, but it's like 300€ to get 128Go of memory ... Which would be what, 1 hour of recording ? hmm. bit expensive

---------- Post added 2011-04-10 at 11:04 AM ----------

any suggestions on motherboard if I am to upgrade mobo + CPU ?

(Many thanks to all for your answers)

Quote Originally Posted by Eiffeltower View Post
    Thanks , I might just do that. Am reading up on SSD drives, which indeed look insane, but it's like 300€ to get 128Go of memory ... Which would be what, 1 hour of recording ? hmm. bit expensive
    Yep, SSDs are great for windows+wow+other common programs you're using. SSD can speed up everything nicely, but those are still way too expensive for video storage. Maybe in five years or so...
    Trolling should be.