Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Age of Conan is one of the most amazing MMOs to ever have been created. It just had a bumpy start. I played it for a longtime before going back to WoW, not because the game was terrible, but it was lacking the community I yearned for. Now that Blizzard has destroyed their community all by their lonesome...I might consider going back to AoC.

I have to give it to the guys at Funcom; they're doing their best to right their wrongs, and from what I hear, they're doing an amazing job of it. I would not be surprised if the more mature and hardcore WoW players decide to move to/back to AoC, because I sure as hell am thinking of giving it another go on my Herald of Xotli (go go avatar of xotli!).

I would but the grind is just too much for me ... I might try out endless trial tho
    God forbid challenging games. Did you ever play SNES? Take your easy mode banter and go play Hello Kitty Online.

Meh, still has a lack of content past 20 or so.
    well if you have god slayer then past 40.
    Assumption much?
    There has been a lot of content since the level 50 patch. Maybe you should play it and see for yourself. And with the addition of RotGS there is even more content and endgame content. Who woulda figured!?
    “Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.”

One day the world will understand that challenge and grind aren't the same thing. One day. And on that day, I'll drink deep of the sweet tears of anti-QQ.

my only complaint was the oom crashes that they fixed, and the secret censoring they did and never publicly addressed, such as reduced breast sizes and outright covering up of some female npcs.

i still go back occasionally, my sin has full t3 and my hox is in a mix of t1/t2 gear. all i do is run around tarantia or my guild city tho.

Quote Originally Posted by taco avenger View Post
    my only complaint was the oom crashes that they fixed, and the secret censoring they did and never publicly addressed, such as reduced breast sizes and outright covering up of some female npcs.

i still go back occasionally, my sin has full t3 and my hox is in a mix of t1/t2 gear. all i do is run around tarantia or my guild city tho.
    I rape the innocent and steal from the poor on my Conq.
    There are no other options!
    “Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.”

This wouldn't be giving it a second try, more like a fourth time. I come back after every major update to find that PvE raids are still boring as shit, the expansion is one big ass currency farm and PvP is unbalanced and bori farmers/ pvp lvl 10 players can just stand there while you take 1% of their HP and DIE in one swing.
    New level 80 characters have zero chance to do anything in PvP.

Have 80 Guard and 80 Conq and chestload of lvl30+ chars.

To sum it up there's just nothing for a casual gamer in that game.
    Last edited by Grable; 2011-04-11 at 09:59 AM.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never knew they had censorship anywhere else then for australia and germany (purist goverments ftl!).

The endgame introduced by RoTGS is a grind what they are reducing over time iirc, think they probably nerfed most of the PvE encounters aswel since i left seeing they are pugging all 3 wings now.

The leveling however is not a grind till 80 unless you make it into one. But yeah it's an indie company don't expect massive overhauls "soon (tm)", the engine introduced in AoC is more going to be the base for TSW as far i've been told was more to kill two birds with one stone, actually 3 once anarchy online finally gets it (hopefully before DNF)
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Not to forget that comboskipping is still there. I mean fuck, they are just ignoring a gamebreaking bug since release.
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole manual swinging and animations is a big can of worms that's not easy to fix so far i'm aware. Makes it look beter but once you have major differences between swing times and combo times between classes it's just even harder to balance. Which is also the reason why you can't combo skip on female characters.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

You see, the fact that this bug has been around for 4 years bothers me. In 4 years pretty much anything could be fixed. But with this they are simply telling us: "meh why should we bother, it's too hard/lenghty"

Such attitude is for F2P games, not P2P.
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

10+ Year Old Account
    That's going by the assumption it is that easy to fix as time doesn't resolve all technical issues. They did sort out the whole animation issues and changed several to iron out imbalances.

Could very well be the people in charge of it left the company shortly after the release and didn't document didly squad, what means you're opening pandoras box. The assumption of "let's just throw more time and coders at it will fix it!" it's not like build a house where there's a set out plan.

But yes it does seem to have reached the stage that while still being an exploit it being widely know and people expect you to know it in pvp, what isn't acceptable.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

ya the animation stuff was a nightmare, and it started off because females were FASTER so people complained and they completely broke female weapon speed in order to fix it for like a month and basically just told everyone to deal with it and now we have what we have today. they should've just reworked the combat system altogether.

Sad thing is it's not only the combat system that needs a rework.
    AoC is best left to die in a forest, believe me.
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

10+ Year Old Account
    That's your opinion, i don't share that. I also don't find that the combat system needs to be "re-worked" it's certain animations and combo skipping exploit that causes an issue.

The female animations were never faster. They never told people to just deal with it.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

New game engine is awesome but game is still boring.Went from 25 fps on maxx to 90-120.

Quote Originally Posted by taco avenger View Post
    ya the animation stuff was a nightmare, and it started off because females were FASTER so people complained and they completely broke female weapon speed in order to fix it for like a month and basically just told everyone to deal with it and now we have what we have today. they should've just reworked the combat system altogether.
    The combat system is usually the most complicated and lengthy code structure in an MMO (usually). "Just reworked the combat system altogether" means a team of coders and several months of work, if not more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii View Post
    As I have certain contacts in Funcom, I can confirm that AoC has gotten a major update in both engine, graphics and performance just recently.
    When I look at all these AoC Videos I just laugh at it. A MMORPG can't run with such graphics. Even WoW doesn't runs really greath when 50+ players are battling.

Quote Originally Posted by HadleyX View Post
    When I look at all these AoC Videos I just laugh at it. A MMORPG can't run with such graphics. Even WoW doesn't runs really greath when 50+ players are battling.
    It can, easily. It's called having an up to date computer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefy View Post
    It can, easily. It's called having an up to date computer.
    Lol, i had to laugh. Its true. I upgraded this PC only a few weeks ago, the difference it makes when playing on the highest settings is incredible. I get no lag at all now in 25 man raids, before i had to turn away raids as my PC was that bad.

I like the game quite a bit. The biggest problem though is the population, especially pre-level 80. It feels very empty. The combat is the best I've played in any mmo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawaii View Post
    The combat system is usually the most complicated and lengthy code structure in an MMO (usually). "Just reworked the combat system altogether" means a team of coders and several months of work, if not more.
    Or it means the game will still have the most gamebreaking bug 4 years after release.
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka