Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    Eh? What? You do realize that there are many different forms of Anti-Aliasing right? Most of which are proprietary NVidia modes, right? AMD cards support up to 8x MSAA, AMSAA, SSAA and MLAA in Standard mode. In Edge-Detect mode, they support up to 24x MSAA, AMSAA, SSAA and MLAA.

NVidia cards have their own crazy Anti-Aliasing modes that are more like cheating AA modes, like QXAA which is even lazier than MLAA. It's not that it's better with NVidia, they just have more options, none of which are as efficient and good-looking as MSAA.

And as to NVidia being better, they just have a very lacklustre line-up this time around. It's not very enticing. AMD is only a little better in this regard, and it's all pretty much the same when everything's included.
    I do now. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizey View Post
    The Rig looks solid, Probably could have gone with faster RAM, but it's a nice setup regardless.

Here you go. Everything you need to do in a nice little guide to get you started, and the author is even using the ASUS UEFI to illustrate:
    http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overc...beginners.html

Make sure you have the proper cooling please, and don't use the ASUS AI Suite II to OC. In fact, just uninstall the Turbo V Evo and Digi+VRM portions of the software.

Good Luck bud! Enjoy
    TurboV and Digi+VRM are very good tools to for OC'ing. Much faster to tweak with them than always go through bios hassle. Once you're happy with the OC, just copy the settings to bios. Boom, win.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    The most common - and best - form of Anti-Aliasing is MSAA, or Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing. In short, it takes samples of pixels on edges and curves and blends them together creating a smoother image. The most brute-force form of AA is SSAA, or Supersampling Anti-Aliasing. SSAA takes an image and blows it up to 2x, 4x or 8x its size then shrinks it back down to your resolution, creating a much higher quality image. SSAA takes a TON of GPU power and even the highest end cards have issues with SSAA, it's just straight brute force.

MLAA is AMD's new proprietary Anti-Aliasing, Morphological Anti-Aliasing. It's a cheater's form of AA, but it produces a quality image without tanking performance, which is especially useful if you have a lower-end video card. MLAA takes an image and then after the image is processed, it uses edge-detection to smooth out any and all edges, even the edges of text. So if you're playing a game with high resolution text, the text will look like garbage with MLAA enabled.

NVidia's proprietary forms of Anti-Aliasing are mostly based on shaders and luminescence, filling in shadows and light. Depending on the settings (2x, 4x, 8x etc) and the game, it can either produce a great looking picture or a crappy looking picture. Games that benefit from things like NVidia's QXAA, FXAA, etc. are fast paced games, such as Dirt where everything is blowing by you and is a blur anyway. With games where things are more stationary, like say StarCraft 2, it'll produce a horrible image quality and you're far better off going with something like MSAA.

AMSAA is just Advanced Multi-Sampling Anti-Aliasing, does a better job than MSAA but uses more resources.

Edit: Also, NVidia's 16x AA ONLY works in SLI, so that argument isn't even close to valid.
    i cant thank you enough for explaining this to me...really will change what settings i use for what games and such

thanks!

Like others said, head dispensation is critical. Make sure your CPU does not get too hot. Mine runs about 50C, but my GPU runs 85-90C, which is far too hot.

Quote Originally Posted by gibbie99 View Post
    Like others said, head dispensation is critical. Make sure your CPU does not get too hot. Mine runs about 50C, but my GPU runs 85-90C, which is far too hot.
    The highest I have seen my gpu go is 64C in furmark