Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I pay 50 dollars and I barely get 1mbps on a good day

Deleted
    ah

that explains it.
    you were talking about the time it takes for you to download data you are interested in and used the term download speed loosely.

yes, depending on what protocol you choose to use it will take you longer or shorter to download a certain file from a source due to the overhead involved.

however, no matter what protocol you choose to use your bandwidth will stay the same :P

P.S
    I mean if you really wanna I could type like this to simulate natural speech, but... nah.
    Last edited by mmoc63f6c1cc20; 2011-04-10 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Normally ISPs advertise their internet-speeds in Mbit, not BYTE.

1 Mbit translates to roughly 80-90 kb/sec.

10 Mbit therefore translates to roughly 800-900 kilobyte per second.

Bell wasn't ripping you off and you won't gain anything from switching providers. Real 5 Megabyte download per second would require something like a 50 Mbit connection.

Look up the difference between bit and byte.
    IT 101
    Confirmed

50Mbit / 50MBit internet through fiber optic cables = win :P Last time i downloaded a steam game, it happened with 4.7 MB / sec. Was awesome

Proof:

Quote Originally Posted by adimaya View Post
    whoever argued that you should divide Mbs by another value than 8 to get the "real" download speed due to overhead and whatnot:

the overhead only increases the amount of total data you download, it does not decrease your efficient download speed, a quick example:
    if you download a 1 GB file, and your protocol has a 2 bit overhead for every 8 bit of data, you will have to transfer without package losses 1.25 GB of data. (2/8 = 0.25)

this will not affect your efficient download speed in any manner
    I bolded what I was talking about. I'm assuming you meant effective, and if so, my statement about it being incorrect still stands. Since effective download speed will be what the user sees.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    Look at that number closely. When a normal person sees k, or kilo, like kilobyte, they think 1000 bytes. A computer however, does not. A Kilobyte is 1024 bytes. Now i'm not saying his idea is correct, but anyone who knows about how computer storage and bandwidth and such is calculated, would recognize that.
    Yes, I know that difference actually. I guess doing math and trying to read the forums is a bad match
    I couldn't help to notice you sounded condescending both to me and adimaya. Are you always like that or are you just having a bad day? Just so we know.

almost 2000 miles distance from indiana to somewhere in canada

Quote Originally Posted by Danish View Post
    Yes, I know that difference actually. I guess doing math and trying to read the forums is a bad match
    I couldn't help to notice you sounded condescending both to me and adimaya. Are you always like that or are you just having a bad day? Just so we know.
    *shrug* Many people, far too many people in my mind, make things seem worse than they are. For instance, I've had several people irl call me a negative person, when in fact i'm more of a realist than anything. So I would personally say that when I say something, i'm not trying to be condescending or the such, I just say it as I see it. Yes I know people will not take it at face value, but I can't help but feel that's not entirely my problem.

Short answer, people will interpret anything, any way they want. But I tend to be neutral about what I say. Even if people don't see it that way.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    *shrug* Many people, far too many people in my mind, make things seem worse than they are. For instance, I've had several people irl call me a negative person, when in fact i'm more of a realist than anything. So I would personally say that when I say something, i'm not trying to be condescending or the such, I just say it as I see it. Yes I know people will not take it at face value, but I can't help but feel that's not entirely my problem.

Short answer, people will interpret anything, any way they want. But I tend to be neutral about what I say. Even if people don't see it that way.

Aight
    I've found that the difference between a condescending person and a 'realist', as you put it, can be quite hard to differentiate. But, now we know!