Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

The most easiest way to explain how to update drivers..

Yeah so people in my guild are pretty... dumb and i have this particular friend in our guild who plays at 5 fps everywhere due to having video card drivers from 2005.
    I start off by telling him to check his video card via: Windows key + R and then type in Dxdiag.

But he doesnt know where or what the windows key is. Then he asks if its free to update your PC.

Whats the EASIEST way i can tell him how to update his gpu drivers (Hes on a laptop btw)
    And otherwise hes a perfectly smart and cool 18 year old.

I just dont understand people who are under 20 and know less of computers than my 50+ year old father.
    Help me out please

10+ Year Old Account
    Drivers are a software loaded on your computer that regulate the way your graphics processing unit assigns tasks, renders objects, and operates. Hope that's easy enough.

Deleted
    But i need to get him to update his 6 year old driver.

It's 2011 and people are still having to worry about manually keeping their drivers up to date?

Typically people who are like that make a conscious or semi conscious decision that they do not care. Or that it's too hard or they're scared of it or something similar. I feel that most people who are "dumb" are only that way by choice, in that they don't choose not to be for multitudes of reasons.

And the most simplistic concept of what driver is, is basically instructions for the OS to communicate with the hardware. Newer drivers are pretty much better instructions.

---------- Post added 2011-04-10 at 08:24 PM ----------

Also, if his computer is that old, it might not have a Windows Key. "Click Start, Click Run, type in xxx, hit enter"
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Deleted
    Easiest way:
    Download the drivers for him.
    Send them Via Mail/USB
    tell him it will help his PC and its free to boot.

Deleted
    Download the drivers for him.
    Would be easy if i could get him to find out/identify his GPU :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reguilea View Post
    Would be easy if i could get him to find out/identify his GPU :P
    See if you can get the Laptop type.
    Most of the time there is a label at the bottom of the laptop saying which model it is, with that you should be able to figure out which GPU is inside.

You say he is smart and cool 18y old and then you say that he doesnt know basic stuff about computer? Thats.... interesting.
    Tell him to download and install teamviewer, log into his computer and do the job yourself.

Edit: i dont think updating the drivers will increase the fps.
    Last edited by svenmk; 2011-04-10 at 08:52 PM.

Deleted
    while we're on the topic, i've been trying to update mine but every time I do I get stuck in the lowest screen resolution that cannot be changed even via the control pannel settings. I'm Running xp 32 bit. Any suggestions as to why this happens?

@Khuric
    are you removing old drivers first and then install new ones or just updating without removing old ones?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by svenmk View Post
    @Khuric
    are you removing old drivers first and then install new ones or just updating without removing old ones?
    I have tried both methods

@Khuric
    Try installing new ones, reboot, go to device manager and remove them, reboot, when computer asks for drivers for the device select to automatically find drivers, if it cant find try to manually find the location of the drivers (dont use setup.exe)

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW send him like URL of the download link?
    Show him picture of where the Windows key is located at?
    Tell him to get a new GPU!

---------- Post added 2011-04-10 at 10:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Khuric View Post
    while we're on the topic, i've been trying to update mine but every time I do I get stuck in the lowest screen resolution that cannot be changed even via the control pannel settings. I'm Running xp 32 bit. Any suggestions as to why this happens?
    Has happened to me few times before. I have sorted it by:

Un-installing the driver > Rebooting > Installing the driver > Reboot.

If that didn't help i repeat the process and after the 2nd time it helped.
    If that doesn't work then run Dxdiag and see if it shows any errors.
    Last edited by Mister K; 2011-04-10 at 09:13 PM.

How do you know that the fps problem comes from the driver ?
    If you're sure about this, then make him install Teamviewer and then you can update the driver instead of him.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-04-10 at 09:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So far I've installed tons of graphics drivers and had ZERO issues, I've taken the following steps every time:

1) Download most recent driver and put it on your desktop.
    2) Get DriverSweeper, install it and put it on your desktop. A simple tool created by the guys at Guru3D, always gets the job done.
    3) Control Panel > Uninstall/Remove all relevant AMD/nVidia old drivers.
    4) Reboot your PC, and after you hear the *beep* spam F8. Select "Safe Mode". Give it time to take you to your desktop.
    5) Run DriverSweeper. Analyse, then remove EVERYTHING you see with the word "ATI" or "nVidia".
    6) Reboot your PC normally.
    7) Install your new driver.
    8) Pwn gamez

The above process may take a bit longer, but it's worth it to minimize the risk of having to troubleshoot driver problems later.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-04-10 at 11:03 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Good lord, from the sounds of it you could tell them to delete their System32 for whatever reason and they'd do it. I am as shocked as you OP that there are people with such little knowledge of computers.

As to your question, some others have already answered it better than I could.

How about a visual guide?

Right click "Computer" or "My Computer" on the start menu, and click "Manage"

Select "Device Manager" -> Expand "Display Adapters" -> Right click your GPU and select "Update Driver Software..."

Not the cleanest or best way perhaps, but it should get the job done

(Also I am a browser whore)
    Last edited by Zeriphal; 2011-04-10 at 11:49 PM.
    Look ahead and see, there's still so many borders we could cross
    Just you and me, making up for all the time that we have lost.

get him to use this Drivershq

best place to make sure your drivers is up2date all the time
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL: