Thread: Masculinity.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Meh it takes all kinds. There's always been a lot of variation in the 'ideal'. Think of who have been male sex symbols. Elvis? Not hairy, but kind of macho. Billy Idol, definitely a bit different. How about the Beatles or the Rolling Stones? For men, its often a lot more about their status than their looks. A male that is average looking but a movie star will get a lot more women then a totally hot guy who works a low-end job. Its just humanity, men are judged by what they do, women by what they look like.

Deleted
    Pfft. Masculinity...
    I personally would prefer a nice little girlyboy over any macho-man.

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    What is bad is the old fashioned idea that because I have a penis I should like sports or killing things. It's also fairly bad when my masculinity is questioned because I don't engage or really give two shits about them.
    couldn't have said it better myself

Ideals of masculinity vary by culture.

That said, according to my culture's understanding of masculinity, I find more masculine men to be more attractive. I'm gay, by the way. I honestly cannot stand to be around or date effeminate men.

Now THAT being said, my ideal man is just someone who's a man, but not necessarily a meatbag. Sure, muscles are nice, but I wouldn't find most really 'masculine' men any good for dating, a romantic relationship, or anything beyond just sex.

As for women, I've found that a lot of women say "all the good ones are gay". If you follow my logic for a moment... -TYPICALLY- gay men do not fall under the category of the meatbag jocks which a lot of people define as "the most masculine". Ergo... I think women like men who walk a healthy medium. The same goes for men, by the way. I've heard a lot of straight men say they like when they can relate to a women a little bit. Maybe she likes sports, maybe she likes video games, but she's still definitely a woman and definitely effeminate.

It's 5:30 AM and I'm not going to bed tonight. Spare me of any nonsense I may have written.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Selkhet View Post
    My thoughts is that men are finally starting to learn that you don't have to act like an angry monkey to be a man.

It's about time, isn't it?
    I'm 24 and watching the new My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
    Don't diss it bro, it's magic.

Women say that they are constant targets for discrimination, well I say men are too. There's lots of expectations on men and what's "manly", so to the point of being ridiculous. But lately it's starting to get more and more acceptable to be emotional as a man and not an emotionless rock that only has testosterone and only likes football.

I'm even hearing that there are a lot of women who prefer the emotional, open type of man that doesn't think watching My Little Pony will diminish his masculinity! Only weaklings are afraid of showing emotions.

Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Each to their own.

Now go watch some ponies, I dare you. You hatin' because you're afraid you'll like it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    This is a two part question.

Firstly, do you feel masculinity in men has declined in recent years, and if so, how would you compare it with previous forms of masculinity?

And secondly, Do you find masculine men more or less attractive (regardless of sexual orientation) and if so, how would you compare them against less masculine men?

Personally I think masculinity hasn't changed too much in the brutish sense. There will always be the rabble that start fights and show zero respect for other or themselves. But amongst people are supposed to be from the better side of society, i.e. college graduates, upper/middle classes, seem to have little to no culture. By culture I mean an interest in world issues, intellectualism, dignity and common decency. Whilst times gone by were not perfect, people are least had some sort of internal dignity and respect for each other and if we still had these same values in modern day times I think we'd see a much higher level of social equality.

To the second, I'm a guy so kinda hard to evaluate it. But for the purposes of this question I will. I think that women prefer men who appear masculine, i.e. well toned, stubble etc. I also assume they like a strong man to look after and care for them without needing the same. I maintain my physical appearance (5 hours gym;_; ) and I rarely ever talk about anything stressing me with my partner but do display my wider array of emotions.

So, what're your thoughts?
    So.. Masculinity is running around like an idiot being disrespectful and rude and starting fights? We call it barbarism.

As long as there's a burly beard, there's no need for other kinds of masculinity excuses.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Talkshowhost View Post
    So.. Masculinity is running around like an idiot being disrespectful and rude and starting fights? We call it barbarism.
    Your inability to read and comprehend impresses me, it's the lowest rate of comprehension I've ever seen.

Interesting points here but I'd like people to focus on the moral aspects of masculinity, brotherhood, caring and a strong sense of duty.
    These are not evolutionary traits but the first part of the question refers to social aspects almost exclusively whilst the second towards physicality.

This thread is pretty fail.

Deleted
    Masculinity, pff.

It's all about the balls.

Deleted
    What many people don't understand is that you treat her like the light of your life and mate with her like it's the fight of your life.

masculinity changes over the years...
    Its masculine to chop wood
    Its not very masculine to be a drug addict who fights even though some think fighting is masculine
    Its masculine being a CEO because u hold power...

different kinds - still masculinity

I know several guys that don't own a set of tools, have never built/fixed anything and don't know how to fish

to me it seems absurd, but to another it might not be

I feel "masculinity" is the knowledge and ability to take control of a situation, not because its needed but because its inherent

my mother always taught me that a "man" is expected to do the things no one can or wants to...
    to be a solution and not a burden to the problem
    to provide and protect yourself as well as your family in whatever capacity required
    to not let technology think for you
    and to never forget you don't have to be a "man" to be "masculine"

maybe it's just a generational military family thing
    but I completely agree with her

I just employ everyone... man, woman or otherwise to be "capable"
    don't be the 21st century sheep and wait until shit happens -then have to google a solution

I laugh at people like that
    www.myspace.com/curseofdoom

...Warlock Hip-Hop To Melt Wax and Face...

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    I like Masculine men. they need to have strong wills, and know what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndam View Post
    society teaches you to not do what nature is telling you. testosterone dictates what men do, it's why we get mad and fight, fuck around and yell.

but we're not supposed to do that or jesus cries
    I don't do that. Well, three out of the four things.

either be a 6'6" burly lumberjack or die that's what I say
    twenty-four hour skeleton power

Quote Originally Posted by Jashin View Post
    I know several guys that don't own a set of tools, have never built/fixed anything and don't know how to fish

to me it seems absurd, but to another it might not be

I feel "masculinity" is the knowledge and ability to take control of a situation, not because its needed but because its inherent

my mother always taught me that a "man" is expected to do the things no one can or wants to...
    to be a solution and not a burden to the problem
    to provide and protect yourself as well as your family in whatever capacity required
    to not let technology think for you
    and to never forget you don't have to be a "man" to be "masculine"

maybe it's just a generational military family thing
    but I completely agree with her

I just employ everyone... man, woman or otherwise to be "capable"
    don't be the 21st century sheep and wait until shit happens -then have to google a solution

I laugh at people like that
    Funny thing about your list there, I see those things as expected of good people. Not good men. Good people. AKA men and women and everyone else.