Poll: Guild wars 2 or Tera online?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: GW2 or Tera?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    Most people don't understand how huge of an impact the cinematic questing, voice over, and choices will improve your overall experience and immersion.
    GW2 does all of this awell making it the better choice of GW2 or Tera.

Don't put too much hope into tera. it's the same people who made Lineage 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Smellyead View Post
    GW2 does all of this awell making it the better choice of GW2 or Tera.
    from what I have seen, not near as good quality. I don't even think the biggest GW2 fan with argue over that one lol. The cinematics in GW2 are pretty much pre-rendered animated pictures with your out of place character standing there doing nothing.

I definitely think this is a step up from what we are used to, but leagues below SWTOR, or any Bioware game for that matter. That is what they are known for. Their choices, high quality voice overs, and great story.

---------- Post added 2011-04-11 at 11:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndam View Post
    they don't translate well to us because we're entitled babies, hence the state of wow

if you've put any effort into keeping up with gw2 you'd have seen many innovations, like the way questing works, the way 5 mans will work, etc
    Pointless grinding isn't fun in any aspect. If I'm killing something, I want a purpose for killing that something. As for WoW, I despise the current state of WoW. In vanilla, it was one of my favorite games of all time. The recent changes in WOTLK and Cata didn't get rid of the grind, because its all there, but they ruined a lot of things for the sake of convenience that I don't agree with.

15+ Year Old Account
    from what I have seen, not near as good quality. I don't even think the biggest GW2 fan with argue over that one lol. The cinematics in GW2 are pretty much pre-rendered animated pictures with your out of place character standing there doing nothing.

I definitely think this is a step up from what we are used to, but leagues below SWTOR, or any Bioware game for that matter. That is what they are known for. Their choices, high quality voice overs, and great story.
    It's pointless trying to do this, I prefet GW over SW, and vice versa for yourself. They both are bringing in similar ideas and putting them out in different ways. GW2 has only been shown at demos in small parts (Same for SW I presumme), so comparing them is hard. Although GW2 only has alpha footage used at demos, so it looks unfinished and unpolished, which is the opposite of what it will be, Anet is not a company like many other MMO creators, they actually care about their customers (Not saying Bioware don't care).

I don't agree with GW2 been "leagues" below SWTOR.

I hear TERA suffers from what nearly all Korean MMO's do: GRIIIIINDIIIIING.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanyKong View Post
    High pop server on GW2, cy@ thar nerd! <3

Quote Originally Posted by DeanyKong View Post
    Seeing has the only way to get to the high levels is playing the korean retail this is surprising how?

Quote Originally Posted by Smellyead View Post
    It's pointless trying to do this, I prefet GW over SW, and vice versa for yourself. They both are bringing in similar ideas and putting them out in different ways. GW2 has only been shown at demos in small parts (Same for SW I presumme), so comparing them is hard. Although GW2 only has alpha footage used at demos, so it looks unfinished and unpolished, which is the opposite of what it will be, Anet is not a company like many other MMO creators, they actually care about their customers (Not saying Bioware don't care).

I don't agree with GW2 been "leagues" below SWTOR.
    I was only talking about the quality of the cinematics and voice overs only. It's very clear that those aren't the same quality. Cinematics in guild wars are pre-rendered, while SWTOR is all in-game. Voicing in GW2 doesn't sync up with the characters face, and the cinematics are done in a 1 angle frontal view.

All other things like gameplay, setting, etc. all depends on preferences because they are obviously very different. SWTOR is going for more traditional RPG combat, and trying to improve upon it, while GW2 is going for more action oriented combat. Obviously 1 is sci-fi fantasy while the other is Mythical fantasy.

Deleted
    tera! no doubt!

15+ Year Old Account
    I was only talking about the quality of the cinematics and voice overs only. It's very clear that those aren't the same quality. Cinematics in guild wars are pre-rendered, while SWTOR is all in-game. Voicing in GW2 doesn't sync up with the characters face, and the cinematics are done in a 1 angle frontal view.

All other things like gameplay, setting, etc. all depends on preferences because they are obviously very different. SWTOR is going for more traditional RPG combat, and trying to improve upon it, while GW2 is going for more action oriented combat. Obviously 1 is sci-fi fantasy while the other is Mythical fantasy.
    Remember neither is finished yet, so alot could change between now and release.

Again, I don't wanna turn this into a SWTOR thread. It's clearly about Tera and GW2 lol.
    Moaradin if this is true then stop arguing through this thread and instead use pm's

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndam View Post
    if it's truly pointless grinding, then don't do it.

i have a feeling by pointless you mean "no instant gratification"

kinda like having to save up a few bucks a month to eventually buy a car. like i said, we like to have what we want NOW or we put it on a credit card, that's why wow is the way it is. so we can log on and get epics NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW
    by pointless, I mean FORCED to grind and being held back without it. I don't want to grind to be able to level up. WoW at least offers multiple ways to level. You can do it by dungeons, pvp, questing, etc. SWTOR is doing something similar, and adding to it.

And no, I do not want instant gratification. I was in a top 50 US guild before I quit, and I really do like overcoming a challenge after a hard week of practicing.

I will definitely not be playing Tera. Its too sexualized for my taste, and I am a 34 y/o straight guys who looks at pron all the time.

I am not into video game tits, and allot of Tera is video game tits. I saw a press demo online they did at Pax, and the developer pointed out to the reporter that when the girls run, you can see their underwear and butts because the skirts lift up. And all the girl "armor", more like bikin's, is just way over the top sexualized. Like all the cloth armor on females are miniskirts, the metal armor are thongs. I just dont need that when I am playing video games.

And the female Popori. Anime underage girl fetish poirn, gross.
    The male popori are these ridiculous over the top cute looking animals which is just stupid. And the female popori are made to look like highly sexualized 12 year olds girls. NO THANK YOU!
    Now I am not trying to insult anyone, or insinuate anything with people who do want to play the game with the female popori. But for me peronally I wont have anything to do with a game that puts in 12 year girl characters, and then sexualizes them, putting them in bikini "armor" with giant bouncing tits.
    I brought this topic up on the Tera forums, and I basically got shouted down by all the nut jobs for even suggesting it.

Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    Moaradin if this is true then stop arguing through this thread and instead use pm's
    It's only polite to respond to replies =)

I admit, I love to argue if the debate is healthy and isn't mindless bashing. But I agree, any more discussion about SWTOR should be on the thread

10+ Year Old Account
    I like GW2 over Tera.

Tera has amazing graphics and claims to bring it west with a less Korean grind style. I dislike the animations, as I think they are over the top in things that don't matter, like hip swirls and jumpy twisty things. But thats my personal preference speaking. I haven't played it, so I might be wrong, but I don't think the combat system is one I would care for. It's different, but not one I would want for an MMO personally. and the quest system is like WoW; do this for no reason and don't care about it. It's just a step to a level.

GW2 has some very high aspirations. If they end up nailing what they say they will do, it may be a great game. Personally, I'm unconvinced they can deliver on these thoughts and prove to make an immersive experience at the same time. I see the dynamic events as fancy rifts from Rift. All get loot. All go pew pew. All run away afterwards. I hope I'm wrong.
    Im unsure about the combat system. The gun toting roll backwards 20 feet over and over again doesn't seem good to me and I think balance will be out if whack.
    I hate the voice acting segments where it shows 2 people on a new screen talking. Do it in game ffs. Why take us out of the game to watch talking people that don't move. Copy SWTOR if you need to, but give something better than that system please.

I think both games use animations that are generic and cliche of a style. I'd like to see more detail like wrist and ankle movements.

Even with the worries, I still plan on playing GW2 and I hope Tera and GW2 both are very successful. Competition is needed in the market.

As far as an overall, and off topic, it's obvious by my SWTOR info thread which game I believe to be the best in the coming future. =)
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-04-11 at 11:57 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why did you bring SWTOR into this thread? It is GW2 or Tera, go make a GW2 or SWTOR thread.

Anyways, I was excited about TERA, until I started looking more into it and I really don't like it. If you play a 2hand sword class or dual sword class you have to use that same weapon type for the whole game, and the combat seems like it will get boring quick. It does look very nice, but so did Aion, and look what happened there. Also, the same people who were suppose to westernize Aion are going to attempt to westernize Tera, and there is going to be big delays between KOR and US/EU patches.

I may give it a try, but I am definitely going with GW2 over any MMO right now. GW2 has everything an MMO should have, and I haven't seen anything huge I don't like about it.
    Last edited by Relente; 2011-04-12 at 12:01 AM.

Yea, I was talking about Tera because it is a korean game and that's what I was referring to. Guild Wars has some neat ideas on paper, but they haven't really SHOWN any of it. I personally think the interactive story quest that SWTOR is offering is a better solution to end grinding, but I don't wanna turn this into a SWTOR vs. Guild Wars thread. I don't have any bias against GW2, and I do hope that its really good because competition is only good for both sides.
    Then stop going into a TERA / GW2 thread and bringing it up.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

GW2 won't have raiding, which will be why I'm likely not going to invest much time in it... BUT I am going to buy it anyways, because no subscription fees means I can play it entirely at my leisure, and I love that.

10+ Year Old Account
    id say try both..but from what ive seen gw:2 looks alot cooler but only time shall tell

The riptide is free..but the GWH? Thats gonna cost you..

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    GW2 won't have raiding, which will be why I'm likely not going to invest much time in it... BUT I am going to buy it anyways, because no subscription fees means I can play it entirely at my leisure, and I love that.
    That's why they have said they aren't going for direct competition with MMO's. Although don't rule out raiding yet.