Poll: Would you play Runescape if it wasn't a web game?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    RS does quite a few things better than WoW! NPC interaction is much better. All quests are story driven, compared to WoW's go here kill ten things; RS quests are along the lines of "Go get me a bottle of rum, BUT WAIT you can't get it on the ship legally." All items are different, all have different icons, all have different functions and all have different appearances when equipped. Player customization is shallow, but when you see ten people wearing a similar item, you know they are wearing the same item. RS is available to a wider audience because it doesn't need top of the line hardware like some other MMO's do. RS also has a much easier control scheme.

Compared to WoW, RS takes an enormous feat, it is entirely written in Java, whereas WoW is written in C. If RS was redeveloped to be installed to your pc, I would definitely run to the store and purchase it. I love JaGeX, and I can't wait for Stellar Dawn and Transformers.

Quick question, have you played Runescape in Fullscreen mode? It's about as close as you'll get to what you want. Also if they were to translate the game to be run as a software game, there are several mechanics that would make the game feel awkward. Such as the lack of a visual targeting system, or the fact that unless your casting several different spells in succession, there would be next to zero need for an action bar (both range and melee deal damage exclusively with auto-attacks and the occasional special attack if you're a member).

Runescape has alwayse been different than other mmo's and changing core elemelts of the game to make it a software game would take away from it's uniqueness IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    RS does quite a few things better than WoW! NPC interaction is much better. All quests are story driven, compared to WoW's go here kill ten things; RS quests are along the lines of "Go get me a bottle of rum, BUT WAIT you can't get it on the ship legally." All items are different, all have different icons, all have different functions and all have different appearances when equipped. Player customization is shallow, but when you see ten people wearing a similar item, you know they are wearing the same item. RS is available to a wider audience because it doesn't need top of the line hardware like some other MMO's do. RS also has a much easier control scheme.

Compared to WoW, RS takes an enormous feat, it is entirely written in Java, whereas WoW is written in C. If RS was redeveloped to be installed to your pc, I would definitely run to the store and purchase it. I love JaGeX, and I can't wait for Stellar Dawn and Transformers.
    Just so you know, Java is pretty advanced. There are people out there writing console emulators in Java.

10+ Year Old Account
    I log in every once and a while to talk to old friends.

Its kinda sad that the amount of gold I have in that game dropped by like 600 million stupid item value deprecation.

no, never ever ever ever ever ever ever !!!!!11oneelven!!11!
    I despise that game, have a deep hatred for it and just wish it never existed. Horrible. Hated the design, the gameplay and the graphics or god the graphics. i think the biggest reason might be seeing a crowd of chinese kids waking up at 4a.m. to occupy the charges in order to play this bs. (back at the boarding school days) I mean it just makes me sad, even remembering those guys.

Thx to Isilrien for the awesome sig

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Passive Apathy View Post
    Quick question, have you played Runescape in Fullscreen mode? It's about as close as you'll get to what you want. Also if they were to translate the game to be run as a software game, there are several mechanics that would make the game feel awkward. Such as the lack of a visual targeting system, or the fact that unless your casting several different spells in succession, there would be next to zero need for an action bar (both range and melee deal damage exclusively with auto-attacks and the occasional special attack if you're a member).

Runescape has alwayse been different than other mmo's and changing core elemelts of the game to make it a software game would take away from it's uniqueness IMO.
    You don't have to change the game to make it an application.... just look at Minecraft, it's the same either way

10+ Year Old Account
    Lvl 90 fishing reporting in! I played the shit out of that game in middle school.

To answer your question... if the quests weren't always like this:

"Go across the world for this item."
    *gets the item and returns to the quest giver"
    "FUCK! I forgot! You also need this item from the same place you were just at! lolumad?"
    *gets the 2nd item and returns*
    "Thanks! Now return to where you got the 2 items to complete the quest! lol brousomad."
    *finds the quest completion npc*
    You have been awarded 800 cooking xp and 1 quest point! Would you like a giant middle finger with that?

That and it needs to be more violent :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rageissues View Post
    Lvl 90 fishing reporting in! I played the shit out of that game in middle school.

To answer your question... if the quests weren't always like this:

"Go across the world for this item."
    *gets the item and returns to the quest giver"
    "FUCK! I forgot! You also need this item from the same place you were just at! lolumad?"
    *gets the 2nd item and returns*
    "Thanks! Now return to where you got the 2 items to complete the quest! lol brousomad."
    *finds the quest completion npc*
    You have been awarded 800 cooking xp and 1 quest point! Would you like a giant middle finger with that?

That and it needs to be more violent :P
    Maxtheultim was my username, I wasted soo much time on that game before all the "major changes"

i would play it if it wasnt so basic... and not so grindy because the entire game is one big grind

Deleted
    No, because I don't care about Runescape.

15+ Year Old Account
    if Runescape used a different Graphics engine i reckon a lot more people would play it then currently, but regardless runescape has player base of 2 million players i believe so it's not as unlike as so many people seem to believe
    Unfortunately, until the people at Blizzard take time to quit explaining why they are right and anyone who disagrees is wrong, they are not going to even hear everyone speaking out desperately trying to warn them the ship is sinking.
    the problems driving players from WoW aren't content or the age of the game, the problem is how the game experience and design philosophy are being undermined by Blizzard's hubris and greed.

Quote Originally Posted by Raht View Post
    The difference between Diablo II right clicking and RuneScape right clicking is massive. One wears out your mouse, the other one wears out your sanity.
    ^this is a fact

Quote Originally Posted by ZyngaFail View Post
    Also: GRIND
    This this this and this. I've played runescape for probably 15+ days total, started a long time ago, played for a few years. And the only glaring flaw i had with it is this. It's WAY too grindy. Everything is a grind, levels are a grind, money is a grind, every single thing is about how long you can sit there doing the same thing over and over for hours. I did quite enjoy it when I was younger, but as I've grown up, I just cannot grind, not in wow, not in runescape. I still go back once in a while to test out the new stuff etc. But can't see it becoming permanent.

Basically what everyone else said. It was fun when I was young, but the game has no depth.