Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Should I buy rift?

I'm looking for a new MMO and I've played in rift beta and it was ok.. However I didn't go to hard in it because I didn't want to progress too far and then lose it all at the end of the beta from what I played I liked it but found it hard to understand. Giving that I also found WoW hard to understand when I first started a long time ago. So I'm wondering a few things that I didn't get to find out from beta.

1. What's the level cap? (Basic question)

2. Do the rift events get more unique at higher levels?

3. Are there things to do outside of raiding? (excluding rifts)

4. Is the community good or is it that similar crowd to WoW?

5. Are classes engaging and/or difficult to learn and is there SET specs that you must go to succeed? (Example: Am I going to get refused from groups if I want to play a certain spec because I enjoy it but it does less damage?)

6. Does the game have more compelling lore then WoW?

7. Are classes as unique as they are low level at high level?

8. Is there anything similar to Auction House?

9. How interactive is the game as a whole? Is the world 'Alive'?

and finally 10. What would you give the game on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being Shit house, 10 being Magnificent.

Honest opinions of rift players only plz

Oh and for those wondering if ima still play wow.. Read sig achieve.
    Last edited by Lynix; 2011-04-12 at 07:34 AM.
    "When life gives you lemons, don't make Lemonade! You make life take the lemons back. Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons!" - Cave Johnson

1. 50
    2. No, but a world event has happened. Everything else is recycled with higher health, there are raid rifts that people skip due to griefing on both PvE and PvP servers.
    3. BAttlegrounds.
    4. Worse than World of warcraft.
    5. No, they're closely related to ret paladins in 3.0, macro everything to one button and get super high DPS. OR just hit whatever lights up.
    6. Completely lackluster, quests have like 4 lines of text.
    7. They're more of copies from multiple games, the only unique class I would say is the sabotuer.
    8. Yes
    9. I don't think so, my server is listed as "medium" and I can barely find a group to do the heroics of the game, even as a healer.

Proof of level 50:
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/951/shardfirst.jpg
    Last edited by Deyadissa; 2011-04-12 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    1. 50
    2. No, but a world event has happened. Everything else is recycled with higher health, there are raid rifts that people skip due to griefing on both PvE and PvP servers.
    3. BAttlegrounds.
    4. Worse than World of warcraft.
    5. No, they're closely related to ret paladins in 3.0, macro everything to one button and get super high DPS. OR just hit whatever lights up.
    6. Completely lackluster, quests have like 4 lines of text.
    7. They're more of copies from multiple games, the only unique class I would say is the sabotuer.
    8. Yes
    9. I don't think so, my server is listed as "medium" and I can barely find a group to do the heroics of the game, even as a healer.

Proof of level 50:
    http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/951/shardfirst.jpg
    I agree with everything said here.

I played this weekend with a guest pass. I was delighted at first(character selection options, graphics), but in the end I'm not going to pay another subscription for two similar games. So, I'll keep playing WoW, but if i get another guest pass, I'll play some more on Rift.

I think the above poster might be a bit overly harsh towards the game, but in my opinion, it probably isn't worth playing past a free month. I would suggest waiting until the next time a free weekend of play is offered and trying it that way, before dropping the money to buy a copy.

Out of 10, I would give the game a 7.5. It probably would have scored a bit higher, if it had just felt a bit more original. I know there is nothing new under the sun, but... well, give it a try on the next free weekend. You'll see what I mean.
    Yeah We ALl do m8 guess again somting went frong well lets hope it will be fixed soon
    ...?

Deyadissa, you wouldn't happen to be on Hammerlord, would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Vynistra View Post
    Deyadissa, you wouldn't happen to be on Hammerlord, would you?
    No, my server was one of the original launched servers, Seastone.

No, my server was one of the original launched servers, Seastone.
    Ok good. I just happened to remember someone named Chase getting a bunch of shard firsts for various things and would've been creeped out if it was someone here.

1. What's the level cap? (Basic question)

2. Do the rift events get more unique at higher levels?
    Yes/No. The normal ones dont get much harder, but theres 5 Man 'Expert' Rifts and Raid Rifts at 50.

3. Are there things to do outside of raiding? (excluding rifts)
    Same stuff as WoW, without Arenas.

4. Is the community good or is it that similar crowd to WoW?
    Forum community is kinda 'meh.' Ingame I have yet to meet a bad egg.

5. Are classes engaging and/or difficult to learn and is there SET specs that you must go to succeed? (Example: Am I going to get refused from groups if I want to play a certain spec because I enjoy it but it does less damage?)
    No. Every spec brings SOMETHING.

6. Does the game have more compelling lore then WoW?
    Defiant lore is 'ok.' It's not lore-rich like WoW, but you won't notice it.

7. Are classes as unique as they are low level at high level?
    Hmm well is an Assassin Rogue 'unique?' I can see Choro, Archon and a few others, but mostly theyre general MMO classes.

8. Is there anything similar to Auction House?
    There IS an Auction House....

9. How interactive is the game as a whole? Is the world 'Alive'?
    What do you mean? Are chat channels busy? Eh can be. When theres an invasion. Most other times it's like any 'general' chat in WoW; used for questions. As for the servers themselves? Heck yes! I'm on an always-Medium Pop server (Corthana) and I'm never getting that 'omg this server is empty' feeling. And well...I go to bed at 4-5am EST. Invasions in Stillmoor, IPP and Shimmersand are HUGELY popular, and raids for Baron and Akala (world bosses, yes we have world bosses!) are going all the time. At least for Baron. Akala is.....much harder to pug.

and finally 10. What would you give the game on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being Shit house, 10 being Magnificent.
    9.5....Loving every moment and not sad my WoW account is gone. So much to do I can't get it all done in 4 hours, and LOVING the fact that Experts at 50 arent just 'hey heres the same boss with one extra mechanic' well...it is, but theres more bosses. Reg IT has 3 bosses, Expert has 6!!

Proof of 50 here!
    Last edited by willowe; 2011-04-12 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laughriot View Post
    I think the above poster might be a bit overly harsh towards the game, but in my opinion, it probably isn't worth playing past a free month. I would suggest waiting until the next time a free weekend of play is offered and trying it that way, before dropping the money to buy a copy.

Out of 10, I would give the game a 7.5. It probably would have scored a bit higher, if it had just felt a bit more original. I know there is nothing new under the sun, but... well, give it a try on the next free weekend. You'll see what I mean.
    Well my main question was to do with things to do outside of raiding... I don't count PvP as something to do so I may not even bother. Like I said I played in the beta and I liked it, I just need to know if there is something I can do by myself. I don't like JUST raiding so if that's all there is to do then I wouldn't bother. I'd like to hear from others too I'm not going to let 1 person persuade me specially when it's clear that, that person has a strong bias.
    "When life gives you lemons, don't make Lemonade! You make life take the lemons back. Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons!" - Cave Johnson

I'm feeling like a totaly psychic here, kept saying that Rift "fever" will die during first 2-3 months but nearly everyone kept insisting that it will grow to superwowkiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Vynistra View Post
    Ok good. I just happened to remember someone named Chase getting a bunch of shard firsts for various things and would've been creeped out if it was someone here.
    Interesting, his leaderboard shows him only getting greens XD

http://rift.zam.com/en/profile/US/Hammerlord/Chase/

I played on the last free weekend and thought it was a fun game, for about 2 hours after that I noticed that its only a margin different from WoW although its a fun game I missed all the graphics and races from WoW also I only had a self heal until like level 12(assuming the class that said combat healer would be a healer oh ho ho how silly of me) sucked when questing with friends. and seemed a little chaotic for my taste
    All in all I would suggest it if you are bored of WoW and want something not too different but also its own style of game.

To answer your questions in order you asked:

1.) Cap is lvl 50.
    2.)For me they did. The creatures are different at different levels, and difficulty depends on how many ppl are in your group. They scale up according to group size.
    3.) You can do some Warfronts (aka bg's), farm mats, craft items, and collect artifacts. Pretty much same things as in WoW.
    4.) My experiences lend me to think that the community is better than it is in WoW. This may be due to the servers I play on though. I seem to find an older crowd in Rift than in Wow also.
    5.) The versatility of specs are vastly more interesting than in Wow. In Rift you are allowed 4 different specs. This allows you to have some pure dps specs, pvp specs, raid support specs, or you can alter them and keep trying different variations and test things out.
    6.) I cannot honestly answer this question as I have never found myself digging into the lore of any game I've played.
    7.) At super low levels there isn't much distinction between specs. As you get to around lvl 20 or so is when you really start noticing the differences. After lvl 25, when you can get deeper in the trees, specs are very different.

8.) Yes, there is an auction house. It is similar to the AH in Wow, but has different features.
    9.) My server is pretty busy, even late at night. Most of the action is at lvl 50 right now as people are trying to gear up their toons. Some people have started rolling alts and leveling multiple toons.
    10.) I'd give this game an honest 8.5 rating. To me this game is refreshing. I haven't even logged into WoW since this game launched.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynix View Post
    Well my main question was to do with things to do outside of raiding... I don't count PvP as something to do so I may not even bother. Like I said I played in the beta and I liked it, I just need to know if there is something I can do by myself.
    Why do you play mmo's if you enjoy single player stuff more?

Interesting, his leaderboard shows him only getting greens XD

http://rift.zam.com/en/profile/US/Hammerlord/Chase/
    I never paid attention to what the items were. :P
    Hell, I didn't even know there were leader boards!
    I tried searching my character and she's not found.
    *sniff*
    Do I have to have a ZAM account of something to register? I wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by mirodin View Post
    Why do you play mmo's if you enjoy single player stuff more?
    I like multi and single player. I simply don't want to be sitting around doing nothing when I'm not raiding. Paying a company to stand there and do Sweet fuck all isn't my idea of good value for money. I believe in any game single or multiplayer there should be something to do at all times, this specially applies to MMOs that require a subscription.

I made a warrior Soul (class) and got him to to level 47 and wasn't very exciting, so i rerolled a rogue and i really enjoyed it at first. He's currently at lvl 43 but I stopped my subscription based off of forums and personal experience. The game isn't as "alive" as WoW's, and offers very little in regards to the depth of PvP. In all honesty, I played wow for 6 years for the sole purpose of PvP then quit a few months ago because I got tired of the same old thing. Rift is, if anything, worse in that aspect. I give the game a 6/10. If you have never played an MMO before then it would be fun to try out, but if you're currently in WoW and looking for something new, Rift probably won't give it to you.

1 - Answered
    2 - Not really. All that changes is the monster types (life / death / fire / earth etc) but there's only 6 factions so the mobs get recycled fast.
    3 - Um gank lowbies in areas where they're trying to complete rifts, but that is only fun for so long...
    4 - Depends on your current wow community...my experience is Horde is a bunch of ass-hats, and alliance are cool guys (I have lvl 85's on both, so I speak from experience here). It's about the same in general.
    5 - Most people won't care what you are spec-wise in PvE. Pretty much dps is dps, heals is heals, tanks are tanks (with a few exceptions to all of those stated).
    6 - I found it harder to get into for the Lore, since it was just a completely new idea and circumstance thrown at me. I had knowledge of WoW's lore from the previous games in the franchise. It's kind of like "Ok this dude Regulos is an evil dragon, these dudes want to resurect him, I need to stop them" kind of thing. Meh
    7 - I never felt there were really any "ground-breaking" points while leveling up. I felt more like every single talent point just made you a 1/2 a % better, so just trying to stack those points as you level...
    8 - Yes, there is an auction house very similar to WoW's. Search by weapon types, armor types, crafting stuff, etc. The usual.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm actually in the same boat as the OP... I'm sitting here, thinking whether I should buy it or not.

I'm waay too bored in WoW to continue so I need a new game, and rift looks awesome from what I can see, and what some people really should think about is that it's in "Vanilla" atm, it's way better than WoW was at release as far as I can tell (I've played WoW since beta)

Btw, watch BlueXephos Rift Videos on YouTube, they have interviewed some guy from Rift and made a series of movies, and they like the game but they also bring up the bad parts about the game.

But as I said, it's vanilla, ofcourse it's gonna be rough around the edges, let's just hope it gets fixed for the better.

I'll probably buy it tomorrow depending on how much I get payed.. Hoping to get to 50 and into it before the 'trial' month runs out. If it's the same but different to wow then it sounds like I'll like it all I'm worried about is the colors... they are boring which put me off buying ti at release

If you're bored with WoW you will not like Rift at all, it's practically the same in progression.

At level 50:
    You do heroics of the game, but instead of once... twice. There's a large grind, that takes about 2 weeks to get all the PvE gear you want before raiding.
    Option Raid Rifts that get taunt griefed in PvE servers, or ganked in PvP.
    1 5 boss raid.

After that, nothing else.

It's pretty much exactly like WoW, to be honest... but with less the development.

If you're bored with wow, save that 50 dollars and spend it on something else, like stock. Quit games entirely and move on. We all had to do it, over 20 is just too old for gaming if you want to seriously play, so go casual.