Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    We bought RIFT to give it a shot. I played in various beta events as the game was being developed and it just didn't interest us enough to buy it off the bat. However we some friends who made the move over, we decided to give it a shot last week.

I have to say, I am not overly thrilled with the game and the community on our server isn't fantastic. We are level 31 now, and reached it in less than a week while playing off and on.

Rather than answering the questions, I'll just give a brief synopsis this far. The graphics are good, gameplay and particle effects could be a little better. Content is the same so far as we move between areas. RIFTS are the same, quests are the same. Mob respawn rate is out of control to the point of being annoying.

The 3 dungeons we've done so far are bleh, nothing really too original, nothing too exciting.

Overall, the game to us is how you feel on an overcast day when you don't know if it's going to rain. It's just bleh. But, it's something else to do. We will probably reach 50 and cancel. If the raids are anything like the 5 mans, I just don't know if I we can continue playing.

Is it a good game? Absolutely. Well polished, crisp setting, few bugs and pretty linear. Worth it to move AWAY from WoW? Probably not. Something else to do? yes.

I played the game for about a month and was tanking for the most part. I was unable to get myself into this game due to its uncanny similarities to other mmos, specifically WoW. What I mean by this is that it did not offer anything really out of the ordinary for me in terms of MMOs. I was done with WoW and that is why I moved on to Rift, after playing Rift I realized it is MMOS in general that I am sick of. If you are currently playing WoW I would probably just stick with it, Rift is a good game in terms of functionality but I would not call it a unique MMO, it is far from unique. The actual in game Rifts were interesting at first and the different variations kept me wanting to do more Rifts, but after experiencing them all it was similar to just queing for a dungeon in wow that you already completed 100s of times. In all honesty save your money, change factions in WoW, pick a new class, race and maybe even a new server. That short term new feeling you will experience will be the same short term “new” feeling you would get from Rift. As for me I am just going to keep playing single player RPGS and LoL until something interesting comes out.

It depends. In my perspective, it isn't worth buying. My friend gave me his account and remaining 1 month trial because he got bored of it quick, so I gave it a shot. Needless to say, the game has hardly any story once you leave the stating zone, and nothing has any substance to it. You just mindlessly pick up your quest, do the same thing over and over again, and turn it in.

If you are looking for a change from that, then you wont find it here. I definitely think the game is the best MMO currently out, but I think most people that are tired of WoW do want something new and not a repeat of the same thing with slight minor changes and improvements.

Deleted
    I played WoW for two years, then got bored. I played RIFT for two weeks.

I'd have to give it an 8. Very much a standard MMO, but the inclusion of more class role dynamics and open alt specs system gives me a lot of room to keep my character fresh and the group/raid content has been great for us. Weren't scheduled to raid last night but we had a ton of 50s on and the souls to spare so we opened up some rift raids and zerged some of the expert rifts. Was good for me since I didn't have the time to get into full runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I played the game for about a month and was tanking for the most part. I was unable to get myself into this game due to its uncanny similarities to other mmos, specifically WoW. What I mean by this is that it did not offer anything really out of the ordinary for me in terms of MMOs. I was done with WoW and that is why I moved on to Rift, after playing Rift I realized it is MMOS in general that I am sick of. If you are currently playing WoW I would probably just stick with it, Rift is a good game in terms of functionality but I would not call it a unique MMO, it is far from unique. The actual in game Rifts were interesting at first and the different variations kept me wanting to do more Rifts, but after experiencing them all it was similar to just queing for a dungeon in wow that you already completed 100s of times. In all honesty save your money, change factions in WoW, pick a new class, race and maybe even a new server. That short term new feeling you will experience will be the same short term “new” feeling you would get from Rift. As for me I am just going to keep playing single player RPGS and LoL until something interesting comes out.
    Some of the worst advice I've ever seen.

If you feel that buying the game, playing for the free month, and then not resubbing would give you your acceptable entertainment per dollar value, then go ahead and buy it. It will last longer than most single player games will, and it's something new at the very least. If you play for a month after that, great. If not, no big deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played for the free 30 days, and am not continuing my account.

I would give the game a solid 5 or 6 out of 10.

I'd like to add a side note: the customer service is HORRIBLE. Many accounts were hacked the first couple weeks due to vulnerability on Trion's end, mine included, and the average wait time for GM ticket resolution was 7+ days. Calls in to customer service were outsourced to India, and they were unable to do anything to help. Came back to WoW, dealt with Blizzard CS to help get my battle.net account set up. Single call, spoke with someone in Austin (not India), and my issue was resolved in ~10 minutes.

Its a decent game, but if you're looking for something BETTER than WoW, you wont find it. If you're just looking for a change of pace, i would recommend trying it for the free 30 days. Some people love it, for me... it just made me appreciate what Blizzard has done with WoW.

If you still enjoy wow there's no reason to switch. However if wow has become extremely dull for you, like it did for me about a month after catacylsm's release, its worth the change. I am really enjoying Rift, and so far I have been enjoying it longer then I enjoyed Cataclysm.

I guess its an age thing but I don't see why anybody cares about $50 if you're going to get even just a few weeks of good times out of it. I can't remember ever being that poor, lucky me I guess?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    If you still enjoy wow there's no reason to switch. However if wow has become extremely dull for you, like it did for me about a month after catacylsm's release, its worth the change. I am really enjoying Rift, and so far I have been enjoying it longer then I enjoyed Cataclysm.

I guess its an age thing but I don't see why anybody cares about $50 if you're going to get even just a few weeks of good times out of it. I can't remember ever being that poor, lucky me I guess?
    You just got unlucky then, everyone that was hacked on Rift got 30 days free play time. For me customer service for Trion was 100xtimes better than Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Smellyead View Post
    You just got unlucky then, everyone that was hacked on Rift got 30 days free play time. For me customer service for Trion was 100xtimes better than Blizzard.
    I bet it is, I haven't used Trion support but I can't remember ever getting an actual response from blizzard support other then copy/pasted generic replies in the 6 years I played wow.

If your just looking for something new I would suggest going to an mmo site like mmorpg.com or some other mmo reviewer and check out some of the Free2Play games but only if you got the willpower to not pay for em or only buy about a subscription fee's worth of stuff a month. I tend to go crazy overboard in most of these games tho so only play em for a month or so.

Theres literally hundreds of games out there right now and some are completely different from WoW. For example there is a game called sword of the new world where you control three characters at once, Its kinda fun but gets really grindy to get to vetran but the nice thing is they allow you to afk lvl where you have your toons auto skill in an area of a dungeon, you just dont get the item drops.
    Just tried out a game gates of andaron which was ok, Whats kinda cool is during the tutorial your class is max lvl so you get to try out the skills they have(if you notice and equip em to ur skill bars). I tried out an evocator which is like a cross between a hunter,lock, and shaman and you can basically tame pretty much everything in the game except like special mobs but I think only certain mobs have skills other then auto attack.

In the end tho pretty much all games have the same endgame: PVP,get better gear,craft items.

As expected, everybody has his/her own opinion about Rift. My best advice would be to form your own.

Personally I like Rift, been playing it for 2 weeks so far, and quite frankly am having lots of fun with the game. That alone makes it worth the $40 I spent on the digital download. Who knows, I might get another month or another year out of it. Sometimes you buy a single player game and finish it within 2 weeks or a month, and you don't give it a second thought after you're done as long as you've enjoyed it. Try it, you might be pleasantly surprised....or not.

I still log into WoW once or twice a week to raid with my friends but other than that I'm totally bored with it.

Quote Originally Posted by moaradin View Post
    It depends. In my perspective, it isn't worth buying. My friend gave me his account and remaining 1 month trial because he got bored of it quick, so I gave it a shot. Needless to say, the game has hardly any story once you leave the stating zone, and nothing has any substance to it. You just mindlessly pick up your quest, do the same thing over and over again, and turn it in.

If you are looking for a change from that, then you wont find it here. I definitely think the game is the best MMO currently out, but I think most people that are tired of WoW do want something new and not a repeat of the same thing with slight minor changes and improvements.
    Completely agree with you on the second part.

If you still have the account there is actually a story that will take you throughout the game. Most people just miss it because it's hard to do. Your friend probably just skipped over it. I have only done this so far as defiant, but if you goto meridian you will pick up something called an epic quest story. It's pretty hard, and you will absolutely need a group to do it till you are at least mid 30s. Even in that range you can still easily die.

That quest line will actually take you all the way through the game. It's really interesting how it plays out. I don't know what they could have done to direct people to it more. Maybe some more bread crumb quests? Anyway, it's pretty cool and if you haven't had a chance I would suggest trying that quest line. It has a great plot twist once you get to the 40s. Anyone that hasn't done it yet, I strongly suggest you do it. Like I said in the 40s range, BAM pretty interesting plot twist.

Quote Originally Posted by Senaelanna View Post
    Some of the worst advice I've ever seen.

If you feel that buying the game, playing for the free month, and then not resubbing would give you your acceptable entertainment per dollar value, then go ahead and buy it. It will last longer than most single player games will, and it's something new at the very least. If you play for a month after that, great. If not, no big deal.
    Whatever I was just being honest....try it out if you want I guess you have nothing to lose. It just really is not much differnt from your standard MMO.