Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Sarcastic humor hatred

So, I have been on these forums for a decent amout of time. I rember being able to have fun on the forums and post without hatred of humor. I try to be funny now and I get in trouble with the Mods.

It seems like I have to just refrain from posting because it can be taken the wrong way. By no means to I blame anyone but myself for posts that grab attention from Mods. I just wish I didnt have to try and be someone else because it seems to be a more tense enviroment.

Anyway, I figure posting this here will grab official attention so that we can have an understanding. I just like the forums and would rather not avoid posting from fear of popular internet culture crack downs.

Please refrain from banning me for this thread. I just want to try and get an opinion across.

10+ Year Old Account
    I must be honest and agree with you, I'm someone who uses sarcastic humor, or humor which people shouldn't be to sensitive about(but that is my opinion). I think people are sometimes way to sensitive or just not capable of seeing the joke, or won't admit it's funny because they're the one being part of the joke for once, and just start blaming/flaming you and act all sensitive.

But I think what might be the problem, is that people post only the sarcastic joke or a humorous comment, and don't provide any other constructive response to the thread, this is iirc considered as trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Omarian View Post
    I must be honest and agree with you, I'm someone who uses sarcastic humor, or humor which people shouldn't be to sensitive about(but that is my opinion). I think people are sometimes way to sensitive or just not capable of seeing the joke, or won't admit it's funny because they're the one being part of the joke for once, and just start blaming/flaming you and act all sensitive.

But I think what might be the problem, is that people post only the sarcastic joke or a humorous comment, and don't provide any other constructive response to the thread, this is iirc considered as trolling.
    Well it is just a my personality. I don't ever think it could be taken another way. I should just make a disclaimer sig

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha, that is a good idea imo!
    "I don't hold any responsibility for what the jokes I provide may cause."

Deleted
    OT: I love your Avatar Fuger, the Krogoth was always the coolest unit in the Core!

Quote Originally Posted by JLarks View Post
    OT: I love your Avatar Fuger, the Krogoth was always the coolest unit in the Core!
    For the Core? Lol

Good to see people that know what it is. Makes me feel like an old school gamer even though I was pretty young. I grew up on RTS and Diablo.

15+ Year Old Account
    They'll ban you for almost anything on these forums.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuger View Post
    So, I have been on these forums for a decent amout of time. I rember being able to have fun on the forums and post without hatred of humor. I try to be funny now and I get in trouble with the Mods.

It seems like I have to just refrain from posting because it can be taken the wrong way. By no means to I blame anyone but myself for posts that grab attention from Mods. I just wish I didnt have to try and be someone else because it seems to be a more tense enviroment.

Anyway, I figure posting this here will grab official attention so that we can have an understanding. I just like the forums and would rather not avoid posting from fear of popular internet culture crack downs.

Please refrain from banning me for this thread. I just want to try and get an opinion across.
    I agree.
    Everything seems to be considered trolling or flaming, and it's very irritating. You can't make a joke without someone being offended and some mod taking action against you.

Deleted
    These forums are not only for the english speaking. And sarcastic humor doesn't always come through to people who aren't fluent in the language.

That is why, it's safer to refrain from using it.

Deleted
    Gotta agree with you.

Say those 2 waves of mod hiring made this place... well... yea.

10+ Year Old Account
    They get you banned for saying that they ban you for almost anything.
    Now there is a high chance that I'll get banned for saying that you will get banned for saying you will get banned for almost anything. Mind=blown.

Deleted
    I agree which is why I just don't bother
    anything you post 60 nerds just say TTROLLL TROLLLLLL TROLLL anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    These forums are not only for the english speaking. And sarcastic humor doesn't always come through to people who aren't fluent in the language.

That is why, it's safer to refrain from using it.
    That is my issue. It is my personality and I can't just refrain from being me. That is why I feel like it is "Be serious or GTFO" on the forums now.

Deleted
    it happens on most forums tbh, it all starts out fun and fine, then the admin seem to get up their own arses about it all of a sudden, and then you are left to either bend to a wave of new rules or policies one after the other, or just not bother posting anymore

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuger View Post
    That is my issue. It is my personality and I can't just refrain from being me. That is why I feel like it is "Be serious or GTFO" on the forums now.
    Well, I never said it was a good thing. I'm a firm believer that a little dry humor always spices things up. However, for people who aren't fluent, and perhaps those who have a completely different structure in their language, a sarcastic joke may often come across as something rude or outright offensive.

I'm sure that, had you been on the receiving side of the matter (because surely, the jokes of say, italians or ukrainians aren't the same as americans or chinese), you'd also been offended.

We have to consider the possibility that what we're saying, might actually OFFEND someone who just doesn't understand the language (or it's structure) as well as we do.

And that is why Admins and Moderators "play it safe".

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I never said it was a good thing. I'm a firm believer that a little dry humor always spices things up. However, for people who aren't fluent, and perhaps those who have a completely different structure in their language, a sarcastic joke may often come across as something rude or outright offensive.

I'm sure that, had you been on the receiving side of the matter (because surely, the jokes of say, italians or ukrainians aren't the same as americans or chinese), you'd also been offended.

We have to consider the possibility that what we're saying, might actually OFFEND someone who just doesn't understand the language (or it's structure) as well as we do.

Yup, it's also a problem with written text. They just cannot convey humor as well as facial interactions. What might be humor to some may be insulting to others.

15+ Year Old Account
    Who cares if somebody gets offended. This is the internet, stop being so sensitive.

10+ Year Old Account
    You gotta be REALLY slick when you post here. If you just rephrase what you wanna say a slightly different way, you can get some stuff past the mods. Think 1984. Big Brother. etc. And if you are thinking about bashing WoW here, just remember - Curse gaming and mmo-champ are joined together now. And I don't think that Curse gaming provides such a great service to Blizzard's customers without having Blizz show some monetary thanks. Just sayin'

I might be completely off base here, and I'm ready to take the heat if I am.

Well that is the problem then. I am American and fairly certain our culture is well understood because of Hollywood.

I also do not joke at anyone. It is all just about the thread subject. I am not that stupid...

Deleted
    As was stated a few times before, please consider that this forum's readership consists of people from many places, cultures and ethics all over the world. All it takes is a single person misunderstanding your "sarcastic humor" as an actual attack, and another person finding that person's response funny, and we've got another thread derailed into a flame war on our hands that we get to clean up in.

We'd rather not have that. Sarcastic humor is fine, but try to make it as obvious as possible that you are joking. Adding a simple </sarcasm> at the end goes a long way.