Deleted

Disc - Is there too much Mastery?

Hello all,

I'd like some feedback on a straight forward question... Is there such a thing as too much Mastery? I am currently sitting at 40% bonus to absorbs (mastery 16.24, rating 1477), and am healing heroic level raid bosses (HC Halfus & Chimaeron so far...). Keeping in mind the Divine Aegis tops out at a certain percentage of the priests maximum health (I forget which percentage... but I have 116khp, if DA caps at 50% of my maximum health than the maximum for it is... 58k something.)

What are your thoughts? I'm wondering if I should direct Mastery now into Crit (15.53%, rating 1095) & perhaps Haste (7.81%, rating 1000).

Best,
    Sens

Deleted
    Your DA will never max out unless you're healing a target that doesn't take dmg and you should ask yourself why you would be doing that in the first place. I wouldn't stop stacking mastery instead of crit/haste ever as disc in the current content.

Deleted
    Heh. Yilar?!

Deleted
    Yes, it's me from Deathwing . After a bit of a fail trip to Chamber of Aspects I ended up on Outland which is a much better server than the previous two i've been on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Your DA will never max out unless you're healing a target that doesn't take dmg and you should ask yourself why you would be doing that in the first place. I wouldn't stop stacking mastery instead of crit/haste ever as disc in the current content.
    True, that's a good point! I was asking partially because I haven't found any reason to reforge my current gear; it really seems balanced towards great mastery with crit and haste balanced as additional stats... I guess I was hoping for some reason to reforge. ;D

Deleted
    I personally prefer to go with 32.5% mastery around 15% + crit and 10% + haste,nevertheless you should stack as much mastery as you feel comfortable with. 15% crit unbuffed looks very efficient to me.

I had almost 30k PW:S (~2k mastery), and it was pretty awesome to heal with.

It really depends on your playstyle and raid role. If you're tank healing, you should focus on haste and crit. If you're raid healing through prayer of healing, haste as well and if you're a bubble bot, stack as much mastery as you can

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dalliah1 View Post
    It really depends on your playstyle and raid role. If you're tank healing, you should focus on haste and crit. If you're raid healing through prayer of healing, haste as well and if you're a bubble bot, stack as much mastery as you can
    Hehe, in that respect I wish I had a concrete role sometimes... I find that I'm most often "on tank duty", but with 95% of the raid bosses (especially in heroic) I find that I'm also helping with AOE healing quite a bit. Heal tank, switch to save raid, heal tank, switch to save raid. haha... and yet, I am never really shining on the meters... I can hit 11k HPS at most, which I don't think is so good.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...kapes/advanced

There is no such thing as too much mastery for disc. Our mastery works around DA and PWS our two abilities for mitigation. I am currently at 53% increased with the amount of mastery I have. I'm pretty much a bubble spammer (our other healers hate me cuz it gets boring for them ) but it is very efficient. If you have at least 1 innervate and mana tide and if you time your mana cds well you can bubble spam very efficiently and do very well.
    OBSCURE REFERENCE - Zuluhed PVP -3 days a week.
    13/13 T11 HM. 7/7 T12 HM. 6/8 T13 HM
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...kapes/advanced -Disc Priest Main.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Skape/advanced -SV Hunter Alt.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...kaped/advanced -Fire Mage Alt

Chugging three innervates on a fight like Cho'Gall just to push 75% of your 12.8k eHPS as PW:S is not a very good reason to stack MST exclusively, and is far from efficient.

Also, pushing 75% of your eHPS as PW:S did nothing to prevent the 7 deaths on your Tron Council kill. If you had been more surgical in your PW:S usage, perhaps some of those deaths could have been prevented.

Heck, Rickotron died from Flamethrower, yet I don't see a single instance of an absorb large enough to be contributed to PW:S.

The acme of skill for a healer is keeping people alive, which is not always directly tied to personal HPS. Sometimes it is the timing and placement of heals that contribute to a kill or a wipe. If PW:S absorbs some damage that DL, Rejuv, Renew, PoH, or CH could have healed, and WS is now on that target who then gets hit with a massive ability like having too many stacks of soaked in poison or flamethrower, then sure, you're eHPS will look just as good, but efficient it is not.

The reason on Cho'Gall is because it is easy farm content for us and our other healer's don't need the innervates so I just have fun and bubble spam as much as I can. On most of our farm content like that I do that just, like I said, to piss off the other healers so they get bored.

In regards to the WoL all the deaths except that of Lore and Rick were poison bombs (Lore's was still the direct result of a bomb), not much we can do there even with PWS with the dmg you take from the cloud it won't absorb enough to protect you for that. In the case of rick i believe i was OOR which is why I didn't hit up PWS (he had heroic leaped away and got OOR of all of us if i remember correctly). In the case of Lore he was hit by the bomb as well and just dipped very low and the cloud got him.

Of course I do agree with you 100% about the effective healing but the reason I still do it is because I have those innervates/tides/CDs. If I didn't I would prio my bubbles (I already prio them but I can afford to do even more then I need). For example; I would prio tanks/healers, people with raid debuffs (I.E. Flamethrower) then people who have trouble with some mechanics that cause them to take avoidable damage.
    Last edited by Skape; 2011-04-15 at 02:18 AM.
    OBSCURE REFERENCE - Zuluhed PVP -3 days a week.
    13/13 T11 HM. 7/7 T12 HM. 6/8 T13 HM
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...kapes/advanced -Disc Priest Main.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Skape/advanced -SV Hunter Alt.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...kaped/advanced -Fire Mage Alt

Quote Originally Posted by Skape View Post
    Of course I do agree with you 100% about the effective healing but the reason I still do it is because I have those innervates/tides/CDs. If I didn't I would prio my bubbles (I already prio them but I can afford to do even more then I need). For example; I would prio tanks/healers, people with raid debuffs (I.E. Flamethrower) then people who have trouble with some mechanics that cause them to take avoidable damage.
    I think its important to communicate this. What one does to screw around on farm content should not be what is presented as "the thing to do" as it does not help those who aren't on farm. Without significant external mana regen and extremely high levels of gear, a straight mastery stack will leave a standard Disc priest pigeon-holed into a role that he or she cannot sustainably maintain over the course of a standard boss fight.

Until MST interacts with DA more effectively, or a 3rd shielding type is added, I cannot recommend a straight MST stack to the vast majority of Disc priests. However, I do believe that MST should be the targeted stat for raid healing disc priests in T12 who've built a solid level of HST. In essence, I would recommend maintaining ~2.0-2.05sec PoH for T12 and put the extra item budget into MST.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-] View Post
    Until MST interacts with DA more effectively, or a 3rd shielding type is added, I cannot recommend a straight MST stack to the vast majority of Disc priests. However, I do believe that MST should be the targeted stat for raid healing disc priests in T12 who've built a solid level of HST. In essence, I would recommend maintaining ~2.0-2.05sec PoH for T12 and put the extra item budget into MST.
    Hello,

Thanks for all the replies... :] Now, having read your priest guide Spiritus... am I right in thinking that a tank healing Disc priest will tend to lean towards Crit/Mastery, while a raid healing Disc priest will lean towards Haste/Mastery? In any given boss fight (except for Nefarion where I am the Nef tank healer throughout), I tend to be healing tanks and healing the raid interchangeably... for this reason, I've chosen to have a good amount of Mastery with Haste & Crit about equal... is this just a waste of my potential? Should I actually just choose one to focus on? ;p

If I may, I currently have (not raid-buffed):

Mastery - 1477 - 40% bonus to absorbs, roughly.
    Crit - 1095 - 15.53% crit.
    Haste - 1000 - 7.81% haste.

When someone suggests to balance Crit & Haste, like EJ forums does, do they mean rating (1095 & 1000) or end % (15.53 vs. 7.81) ??? In which case, my Haste is way too low! In my understanding, my setup now is good for tank healing but bad for raid healing?

Sorry for the long post... ;p
    xoxo
    Sens

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skape View Post
    The reason on Cho'Gall is because it is easy farm content for us and our other healer's don't need the innervates so I just have fun and bubble spam as much as I can. On most of our farm content like that I do that just, like I said, to piss off the other healers so they get bored.

In regards to the WoL all the deaths except that of Lore and Rick were poison bombs (Lore's was still the direct result of a bomb), not much we can do there even with PWS with the dmg you take from the cloud it won't absorb enough to protect you for that. In the case of rick i believe i was OOR which is why I didn't hit up PWS (he had heroic leaped away and got OOR of all of us if i remember correctly). In the case of Lore he was hit by the bomb as well and just dipped very low and the cloud got him.

Funny. I remember so many people crying and spamming in this forum disc was completely broken and useless and now disc priests make the other raid healers get bored. Did i miss something?

10+ Year Old Account
    When someone suggests to balance Crit & Haste, like EJ forums does, do they mean rating or end %
    I was wondering the same thing when reading the forums but ended up considering it as 'equal rating' rather than %.

Anyway I'm interested in Spiritus' reply to your post as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SensCens View Post
    Thanks for all the replies... :] Now, having read your priest guide Spiritus... am I right in thinking that a tank healing Disc priest will tend to lean towards Crit/Mastery, while a raid healing Disc priest will lean towards Haste/Mastery?
    Not exactly as simple as that. My recommendation with T11 item budget for tank healing is to get ~30% raid buffed single target crit [including the multiplicative 10% from RH], which is a solid amount to have regular aegis procs, then 32.5% Shield Discipline to turn you crits effectively into a 200% bonus. The rest of your itemization should go towards HST, which isn't an insignificant number.

For raid healing I prefer to push HST enough to drop my 2.5sec casts to ~2.0-2.05sec [raid buffed] and place the remainder of my itemization into MST. I avoid CRIT like the plague [though sometimes drops aren't the kindest].

There are some running straight MST builds, which basically pigeon-holes you into very heavy PW:S usage, which is only sustainable at currently high gear levels and a boat load of external regen. I mix a healthy amount of PW:S into my raid healing, but since its rarely 75%+ like you see with bubblebots, I don't value the stat as much. PW:S is plenty strong on its own accord to suit its purpose: to soften hits and catch the lowest raid members before a raidwide hit so they don't drop to critical levels.

In any given boss fight (except for Nefarion where I am the Nef tank healer throughout), I tend to be healing tanks and healing the raid interchangeably... for this reason, I've chosen to have a good amount of Mastery with Haste & Crit about equal... is this just a waste of my potential? Should I actually just choose one to focus on? ;p
    When flex healing, I tend to prefer the HST build myself. Pushing high HST levels will not be a major detriment to you tank healing, as it is a powerful stat. I tank heal fairly regularly in my HST build and feel perfectly comfortable in the role. However, using the pure tank healing stats I recommend would be sub-optimal for raid healing, mostly because of the added CRIT.

If I may, I currently have (not raid-buffed):

Mastery - 1477 - 40% bonus to absorbs, roughly.
    Crit - 1095 - 15.53% crit.
    Haste - 1000 - 7.81% haste.

When someone suggests to balance Crit & Haste, like EJ forums does, do they mean rating (1095 & 1000) or end % (15.53 vs. 7.81) ??? In which case, my Haste is way too low! In my understanding, my setup now is good for tank healing but bad for raid healing?
    That stat balance appears to be more suited for tank healing, as most Disc raid healers are pushing either pure MST or HSTprimary/MSTseconday. The additional itemization to CRIT is what pops out at me the most. As I said, unless you are pushing a highly significant portion of your healing VIA PW:S, then high levels of MST can hinder the effectiveness of the rest of your spells. Spells that mostly benefit from HST usually combine for far over 60% of my eHPS on most fights [with some exceptions like H. Maloriak], so I build my stat ratios around my playstyle.

As far as what EJ means by "balance" I cannot say. I would have to read it over again to give you a proper answer. I really can't even offer a hunch because I have seen it in reference to both percentage and item budget ratios.