HM 10m Magmaw Questions

We're currently 3/13 (halfus, maloriak, chim) and preparing to attempt Magmaw. I've read/watched several strategies for managing this boss and I have a couple questions for those who have some experience with the fight.

Our Setup:
    Tanks: warr, DK
    DPS: ele shaman, rogue, mage, moonkin, s.priest
    Heals: paladin, shaman, druid

We don't have a frost DK dps to kite the adds, but I believe fire mages are capable of kiting them as well - can anyone confirm this? The original plan was to have all but 3 people (1 tank, 1 heal, 1 dps) in melee range so that there are fewer required to dodge pillars. The skeletons will be picked up and positioned in melee range so that dps can cleave them down and aoe heals can help on the offtank. As far as parasites, given that our group is ranged heavy, is it preferable to have all aid in aoeing them down or just let them mage kite them around (if this is even feasible) while keeping all other dps on skeletons/magmaw? Also, do parasite continue to spawn once magmaw has crossed 30%? Any other recommendations or tips would be most appreciated and thanks in advance to all responders.

Deleted
    yea a fire mage can handle the adds mainly with a lil help from the moonkin. I'd put the moonkin, mage and rdruid at range; everybody else in melee. Big adds tanked in melee for blade flurry etc. No adds spawn sub 30% but what you want to do is wait until a head phase before pushing p2, as the aoe kinda hurts.

Rogue should 100% be combat for blade flurry cleave, it's especially useful for head phase constructs.

Tank swaps are probably a good idea, we had our paladin take a 120k melee swing with the 50% debuff up.

We do a tank swap after head phase but i got a question regarding tank swap because the issue we find is that he does a mele hit before we can physically taunt? so we run the risk of someone getting 1 shot. thouhts?

Quote Originally Posted by Dusio View Post
    he does a mele hit before we can physically taunt? so we run the risk of someone getting 1 shot. thouhts?
    No way to fix it, we tried to macro taunt magmaw and have tank spam it after headphase. It always meleed somebody, so we just had everyone cept tank move away from magmaw, no big deal as dps should be on skeletons at that point anyways.

Fire mage can solo handle all worms (might need an innervate). If you have really pro healers you can heal through P2 just fine if people spread out enough; you still want to stop dps and push him as soon as he picks up the tank. Once magmaw has tank in air he can't transition to P2 so you can ussually push him to sub 15% before P2 even starts. Best kill so far, we had magmaw down to 7% as headphase ended.
    Last edited by Garouken; 2011-04-12 at 05:29 PM.

Thats kinda what i figured. Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

Given that our group is 4 ranged 1 melee, is it necessary to kite the adds or can the offtank pick them up w the skeleton - remain at ranged - and everyone (except rogue) dps them down from range?

Actually, there is a way to safely keep the boss on the tanks after he comes up. Basically what happens is, as soon as a tank is picked up for Mangle, he is removed from the bosses threat table. About 1 second after that, the bosses threat table is stored and cleared for the rest of the impale phase. When he comes back up, this stored threat table is restored, and whoever the next highest threat was is the one that Magmaw will smack. In that 1 second window while the tank is being picked up, the boss can be taunted. This can be done either by the tank being picked up if you want to single tank it, or by a secondary tank if you want to switch.

Personally, we single tank it. The tank we use is a Paladin that is block capped, so you never see any of the monster 100k+ hits. Biggest hit we see on him is in the 55-60k range.

What exactly is the mechanic for determining where the constructs land? Is it ONLY a ranged target? I've seen it suggested that during the mangle/head phase the "melee" pile is no longer melee and they can land on them? Does anybody have any clear understanding of how the locations for these guys are determined?

They land on ranged targets as long you have 3 or more people at range. This was introduced in a hotfix a month ago.

The hot fix text:

"In addition, on Heroic difficulty, Nefarian will now prefer ranged targets when spawning Blazing Bone Constructs."

does use the word "prefer"... does anybody know for a fact about the 3 ranged idea? Thanks in advance.

There is no official source but someone on this forum claimed to have tested it.

Your Paladins can Hand of Protection the Mangled tank to take the bleed/debuff off (while the tank is still in the mouth) -- it makes tank healing laughable during that portion.

~Kara
    "Intelligence in chains loses in lucidity, what it gains in intensity." Albert Camus

10+ Year Old Account
    Our group has the moonkin primary with (our case hunter) fire mage as assist. As a shadow priest, I'm on constructs with melee group and boss. I do not deviate to the larva adds at all. Range stacks up on phase 1, spreads out on phase 2 - watch the timing of the phases & adds.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Antei View Post
    The hot fix text:

"In addition, on Heroic difficulty, Nefarian will now prefer ranged targets when spawning Blazing Bone Constructs."

does use the word "prefer"... does anybody know for a fact about the 3 ranged idea? Thanks in advance.
    I can confirm this works (actually, this is part of our strategy). DK at range to kite, one dps at range and the construct tank moves to range when things are about to spawn. Just before expose, everyone spreads to range, after expose, everyone stacks back up on the melee spot.