Odd Question on Eranikus (Sunken Temple) Sleep Mechanincs

The Sleep effect applied by Eranikus seems to work like a pally bubble, rendering the tank invulnerable, but preventing them from keeping aggro. My question, based on a run I was in last night, is whether aggro goes back to the tank as is typical of incapacitates, or if aggro resets when he puts the tank to sleep.

"This is complicated by Eranikus' ability called Deep Slumber which is a twelve second stun (rather than a sleep effect despite it's name). While it is a magic effect, it also makes the target invulnerable to all spells and abilities."

"Lulls an enemy into a deep sleep for 8 sec., rendering it unable to act, but also making it invulnerable."
    Last edited by Daetur; 2011-04-12 at 05:43 PM.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Just taunt / aoe taunt as he's casting it

How the tank should react isn't really my question. Does that mean it resets aggro? Also, if you taunt as he's casting it, but still go invulnerable, I don't see how that's supposed to help.

It's more "should a cloth dps kite him to avoid being chewed on, since aggro will reset as soon as the tank wakes up," or "should you just suck it up and heal the dps through it, because the tank will need to taunt back when he wakes up."

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol did you fall into a hole and end up in a world where only vanilla wow existed? Just Zerg him with those hot BoAs, mechanics be damned

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Y'all are so helpful... thanks a ton for aiding with this curiosity.

It's been so long since I've actually done this fight - does the sleep always specifically target the tank now, or can you still soak it by having another melee DPS stand in the middle of his hitbox? I remember (in classic) making the rogue camp underneath him to sleep soak, because it was cast on the person closest to him and not specifically the tank.

Edit: If it *is* always the tank now, stand still and eat the agro. Running like a headless chicken is less DPS time for everyone, and most characters at that level now are capable of surviving three hits til the stun fades.

During the last run of him I did, it only targeted the tank.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Aoe taunt is a temp fixate which will make him attack you for the duration, not sure what else really matters. The damage he does in the 7ish seconds he's not on you doesn't even do enough damage to kill someone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Further proof that people just read the title and respond.

Quote Originally Posted by ramennoodleking View Post
    Lol did you fall into a hole and end up in a world where only vanilla wow existed? Just Zerg him with those hot BoAs, mechanics be damned
    This made me LOL, but at the same time is 100% accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Viceversa View Post
    Aoe taunt is a temp fixate which will make him attack you for the duration, not sure what else really matters. The damage he does in the 7ish seconds he's not on you doesn't even do enough damage to kill someone.
    It is a temp fixate, but I'm pretty certain that an invulnerability effect will overwrite a taunt fixate.

Quote Originally Posted by Flummox View Post
    Further proof that people just read the title and respond.

Yeah, pretty sure I haven't gotten anything that's actually relevant to my question. This is for curiosity's sake, not because I'm somehow having issues with the boss. All I want to know is if aggro resets, or if it returns to the tank after the sleep wears off...

Kind of becoming an interesting study in reading comprehension, though.
    Last edited by Daetur; 2011-04-12 at 05:45 PM.

Aggro used to return to the tank once the sleep wore off. However my information is from long ago and things may have changed - also my memory could be faulty. There would also be the issue of dps surpassing tank aggro while the tank is asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Quaestor View Post
    Aggro used to return to the tank once the sleep wore off. However my information is from long ago and things may have changed - also my memory could be faulty. There would also be the issue of dps surpassing tank aggro while the tank is asleep.
    That's the impression I'm under. It's usually how mechanics like this work, but a group member flipped their shit hardcore when I said this, so I've been wondering if it had changed. I think I've come to the conclusion, however, that they were bad. :|

It's an aggro reset...

Storywise, he kicks you into the Emerald Dream, and that's technically where you are 'sleeping' during that part of the fight...

So re-taunt and aggro him back... any DPS still nuking him as you are attempting to pull him back need to die on principle of L2P...

Quote Originally Posted by MagusUnion View Post
    It's an aggro reset...

Storywise, he kicks you into the Emerald Dream, and that's technically where you are 'sleeping' during that part of the fight...

So re-taunt and aggro him back... any DPS still nuking him as you are attempting to pull him back need to die on principle of L2P...
    Interesting, I'd have assumed from the behavior of the mechanic that it was just an "attention block" like a pally bubble. It must have the threat drop baked in, and not included in the tooltip, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    Interesting, I'd have assumed from the behavior of the mechanic that it was just an "attention block" like a pally bubble. It must have the threat drop baked in, and not included in the tooltip, then.
    Well technically, the effect treats you the same as if you have 'phased out' of the dungeon. Sure, you may have had top threat before the event (and can skate by with BoA gear to retain that huge ton of threat afterwords if DPS are still stupidly hitting him constantly), but you do hit a 'threat decay' moment where whatever threat that is still on the boss as you are stunned gets overwritten by the damage/healing of the rest of the group...

It's also an almost similar effect as a Warlock Banish on adds... Where the threat is lost during the banish, and have to be retaunted if some idiot attacks it too early... lol

10+ Year Old Account
    The first problem with this question is that neither the encounter nor the mechanic in doubt are relevant or matter. One of two things is happening: there is a complete aggro reset (given other similar vanilla mechanics, I assume this to be the case), someone is pulling threat due to your inactivity.

It may have been novel at the time, but now it's a totally useless and annoying mechanic because it poses no real threat. Ok, so you wake up and have no aggro? Taunt.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Yeah, pretty sure I haven't gotten anything that's actually relevant to my question. This is for curiosity's sake, not because I'm somehow having issues with the boss. All I want to know is if aggro resets, or if it returns to the tank after the sleep wears off...

Kind of becoming an interesting study in reading comprehension, though.
    Firstly, your initial question, in the OP, is completely irrelevant to the success or failure of a group on that fight. Regardless of whether the threat drop is temporary or permanent, any half decent tank would be spamming taunt coming out of the stun anyway. That's the given Tank reaction *whenever* someone else has agro on a single target dungeon fight.

Further, your second post 'clarified' and, more importantly, changed the direction of your question! You, yourself, pointed the thread away from 'how does this specific mechanic function?', and towards 'how is the group supposed to handle it?' I know that's where my reply came from - information on how groups handled it 'back when' and how to handle it now if the mechanics had changed.

How the tank should react isn't really my question. Does that mean it resets aggro? Also, if you taunt as he's casting it, but still go invulnerable, I don't see how that's supposed to help.

It's more "should a cloth dps kite him to avoid being chewed on, since aggro will reset as soon as the tank wakes up," or "should you just suck it up and heal the dps through it, because the tank will need to taunt back when he wakes up."