Page 1 of 2
LastLast

15+ Year Old Account
    go with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371021 for the PSU. 750W is a waste. Use that money to either put towards a better GPU (you can either get a 6870 or with an extra $20 get a gtx560) or 2x4GB of RAM.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

could i run the 560 with the 460?

10+ Year Old Account
    http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html this should give you a good rough estimate of what psu you want round to the highest number, like if it says 540 watts find a 600 etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Smilesaresalvation View Post
    Why would you? That's a big waste of money. What he's saying is to get the 650W version of the same PSU and use the extra money left over to get a 6870 or a GTX 560 Ti (if you can spare the extra money) INSTEAD of the GTX 460, which I completely agree with.

but what im saying is i allready have the GTX 460 like i bought it awhile ago so thats why i was asking if they could because if i got the 560 i would have 2 gpus

Assuming they do work in SLI, the faster one would be limited to the specs of the slower one.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    yes and no

normal MB = no

MB with Lucid's HydraLogix chip = yes

should i get the 650W psu and save up for the cash and later get the 560 TI?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    yes and no

normal MB = no

MB with Lucid's HydraLogix chip = yes
    or he could physx one? they arent far apart release wise. but then again linus tech tips proved that using too high end a physx card is dumb and would be better SLI'd with lucid hydra or just SLI normal ( he used a gtx 580, then a 2nd 580 for phsyx) look for a P67 lucid board and you're golden buddy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813154018 found it for ya, but its $220 if you can scrap that much for one

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sizzlinsauce View Post
    or he could physx one? they arent far apart release wise. but then again linus tech tips proved that using too high end a physx card is dumb and would be better SLI'd with lucid hydra or just SLI normal ( he used a gtx 580, then a 2nd 580 for phsyx) look for a P67 lucid board and you're golden buddy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813154018 found it for ya, but its $220 if you can scrap that much for one
    i have had a chance to play with a MB with a Hydra chip and it's pretty cool, having a computer with a gtx-580 and a HD6970 is just awesome, not as good as dual 580's or dual 6970's, but the concept is the cool part

im honeslty not exactly familiar with Mb's or hydra chips
    this being my first build
    i just want something that will let me run 25 man raids with above 40 fps

10+ Year Old Account
    If that's what you want, what you already have picked togheter will be fine, but like some people said. You can downgrade to a 650W PSU and save yourself some cash, maybe buy a new pair of pants or maybe a new Mice or w/e :P
    Last edited by Millen91; 2011-04-12 at 11:49 PM.

thanks i actually need some pants

10+ Year Old Account
    sorry, computer people tend to talk in geek with out any regard for a customer

in short, a hydra chip allows you to put any set of GPU's in a MB, it does a hybrid SLI, even with ATI cards

these things are important for us to know, because often what you want is either not possible, or not possible with your selected parts/budget

looking at your parts, you should have no trouble with 25 man raids, but i would get a evga gtx-550ti just to be sure, the newer processor will work with your core i5 a little better then the 460 will

10+ Year Old Account
    I've talked to him, if he wants to run both cards 560 + 460, i advised he go with an 800 Watt PSU seeing as he would be running 696Watts too close to 700 for comfort on a pure 700W. and it allows room for adding bonus hard drives cd drives front panel displays etc

Quote Originally Posted by sizzlinsauce View Post
    I've talked to him, if he wants to run both cards 560 + 460, i advised he go with an 800 Watt PSU seeing as he would be running 696Watts too close to 700 for comfort on a pure 700W. and it allows room for adding bonus hard drives cd drives front panel displays etc
    Running both in SLI? That's a gigantic waste of money unless he just uses the GTX 460 as a very expensive PhysX card... Plus, can't even run it in SLI because they're two different cards =V

Guys stop giving crap advice like using a GTX 460 (!) for a PhysX card */facepalm* when there are very few games (Like Mafia II) that actually benefit from a dedicated physx card.

OP Just stick to the plan and get those parts. I might swap out for the 650w PSU though as one guy suggested. It will do fine for GTX 460 SLI.

GTX 460 SLI gets you better max frame rates than a GTX 580 and is very overclockable, so I'd go wtih it.
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/314?vs=305

It is also more power efficient as you can see here. Btw be careful when listening to some of the ridiculous power estimates some people make. If some of these nuts had their way you'd be buying a high quality 850w power supply to run a single GTX 580.
    Last edited by xsistor; 2011-04-13 at 01:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xsistor View Post
    Guys stop giving crap advice like using a GTX 460 (!) for a PhysX card */facepalm* when there are very few games (Like Mafia II) that actually benefit from a dedicated physx card.

OP Just stick to the plan and get those parts. I might swap out for the 650w PSU though as one guy suggested. It will do fine for GTX 460 SLI.

GTX 460 SLI gets you better max frame rates than a GTX 580 and is very overclockable, so I'd go wtih it.
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/314?vs=305

It is also more power efficient as you can see here. Btw be careful when listening to some of the ridiculous power estimates some people make. If some of these nuts had their way you'd be buying a high quality 850w power supply to run a single GTX 580.
    Crap advice? Who said to use it as a PhysX card. He said don't use it as a PhysX card.
    Why are you recommending he SLI? Two 460's would be far more of a hassle than a 580, and the 580 is also very overclock-able. Quit giving crap advice.
    Edit: In fact, the only reason SLI was brought up in the first place is because he wanted to know if he could SLI an old card with a new card. If he's holding on to the 460, he's much better just getting the 460 only. It'll handle almost any game.
    Also, almost everyone on this forum has been set straight by Tetrisgoat in terms of PSUs.
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2011-04-13 at 01:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    Crap advice? Who said to use it as a PhysX card. He said don't use it as a PhysX card.
    Why are you recommending he SLI? Two 460's would be far more of a hassle than a 580, and the 580 is also very overclock-able. Quit giving crap advice.
    Because he already has a GTX 460 ... /facepalm. And GTX 460 SLI offers better performance at 1920x1080 and lower resolutions than a 580, costs less and also consumes power.

But the fact that hte OP already has a 460 trumps any crap you just spouted. He shoudl just the 650w PSU and a second 460 instead of a 560 or 580 or anything else.