Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xsistor View Post
    Guys stop giving crap advice like using a GTX 460 (!) for a PhysX card */facepalm* when there are very few games (Like Mafia II) that actually benefit from a dedicated physx card.

OP Just stick to the plan and get those parts. I might swap out for the 650w PSU though as one guy suggested. It will do fine for GTX 460 SLI.

GTX 460 SLI gets you better max frame rates than a GTX 580 and is very overclockable, so I'd go wtih it.
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/314?vs=305

It is also more power efficient as you can see here. Btw be careful when listening to some of the ridiculous power estimates some people make. If some of these nuts had their way you'd be buying a high quality 850w power supply to run a single GTX 580.
    omg another "benchmarks say this!"

there is more to a gpu then just capable FPS, otherwise people would just stop at 32 fps, why make a better card if the human eye can't see faster then 30hz

also the reason you buy a more powerful PS is slight future proofing, if his current PS only gets the job done, then when he wants to up his GPU in the future, he'll need to buy a new PS as well, thats textbook A+, any tech knows that

Sigh, while SLI 460's can offer a theoretical performance boost over a single GPU card, that boost is not always used on many games. Also he didn't mention any other games aside from WoW, and WoW doesn't really get anything out of SLI or Crossfire. It'll split the load for sure, but won't really do much performance wise.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    omg another "benchmarks say this!"

there is more to a gpu then just capable FPS, otherwise people would just stop at 32 fps, why make a better card if the human eye can't see faster then 30hz
    Minimum FPS is definitely more important than max FPS and perhaps even average FPS. You do need to maintain 30 FPS minimum for smooth gameplay. But are going to deny that GTX 460 is bang for the buck and offers very good SLI scaling/performancE? If you are then you have no clue what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    also the reason you buy a more powerful PS is slight future proofing, if his current PS only gets the job done, then when he wants to up his GPU in the future, he'll need to buy a new PS as well, thats textbook A+, any tech knows that
    aww geezz.... I' ve just been A-PLUSSED ... should i go cry now?

'Spending money to reach a certain specification' - every good electrical engineer knows that. Or, 'not overspending' - that's called sense and almost every layperson has that.
    If you follow that train of though you may as well buy a 1000w PSU on teh off chance taht you're using it 10 years from now.
    While getting a powerful PSU is all true and good, the OP is already going GTX 460 SLI. It's important to let him know that 750w PSU is overkill for his current setup. If he still wants to still keep the 750w then that's upto him. But even 650w is well above what his system will need with two GTX 460 in SLI.

---------- Post added 2011-04-13 at 03:55 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    Sigh, while SLI 460's can offer a theoretical performance boost over a single GPU card, that boost is not always used on many games. Also he didn't mention any other games aside from WoW, and WoW doesn't really get anything out of SLI or Crossfire. It'll split the load for sure, but won't really do much performance wise.
    GTX 460 has excellent SLI scaling as far as NVIDIA goes. It scales very nicely compared to some other setups. But well true. SLI does not work ideally with all games. a very powerful card is better. But is it sensible when the OP already has a 460? I think not. not unless he doesn't care much about money. GTX 580 is awesome without doubt. But it is also expensive. In fact if you like cost/performance ratio then GTX 570/560 or GTX 480 are better bets (especially in the UK where you can get one of the new revised GTX 480 SOC for £200 while GTX 580 is £400. And GTX 480 SOC have performance almost equal to GTX 580s btw. In effect you can buy two GTX 480s here for the price of a GTX 580, and those two 480s will blow anything out of the water until you start talking about surround/eyeinfinity or something)

10+ Year Old Account
    M
    aww geezz.... I' ve just been A-PLUSSED ... should i go cry now?
    yes, you should :P

---------- Post added 2011-04-12 at 09:08 PM ----------

'Spending money to reach a certain specification' - every good electrical engineer knows that. Or, 'not overspending' - that's called sense and almost every layperson has that.
    If you follow that train of though you may as well buy a 1000w PSU on teh off chance taht you're using it 10 years from now.
    While getting a powerful PSU is all true and good, the OP is already going GTX 460 SLI. It's important to let him know that 750w PSU is overkill for his current setup. If he still wants to still keep the 750w then that's upto him. But even 650w is well above what his system will need with two GTX 460 in SLI.
    the rule of thumb i always use for power supplies is total watts needed+10%, so if you need 900, buy a 1000, but you never know,at some point the OP may want to buy a gtx-590, or do two gtx-580's in SLI
    from another angle, the OP is also getting a 2500k, he may want to try overclocking at some point and may need the extra 100 watts

I personally would not recommend SLI/Crossfire to most non "semi-tech interested" people. Not a good explanation of what I mean, since I'm not sure there is a word for it or not. While SLI and Crossfire can lead to a huge boost in performance or allow the same level with better settings... It can also introduce other problems, not scale well with some games, and not at all with others. This may change in the future, it may not, up to ATI and nVidia to work on the bugs, and i'll admit nVidia is a bit farther in that regard. Gogo ATI's legacy of garbage drivers creeping back to bite AMD in the arse. But again, still not something I can recommend, mainly because people in the Geek crowd and such can deal with the problems or workaround them or whatever, many others not inclined, won't.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    CrossFire/SLI leads to increased heat generation, and is far more difficult to maintain. If you can equal the performance with a single card, it should be preferred. Sell your 460 on eBay and get the 580 if you're into spending loads of money. Or just keep a SINGLE 460 and get a nice cheap (but good) Antec TruePower. If he didn't know you couldn't SLI the 560 and the 460, he probably isn't that computer savvy. Xsistor, I appreciate your effort in these threads, but misinformation is frowned upon.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2...ndex,2674.html
    Notice how the 580 leads by a MASSIVE margin in comparison to the 460. Let's assume this were a perfect world, and SLI'ing gave double the performance (though this is 100% not true). Even then, 119.29 versus 67.40 x 2 ( 134.8). Due to the increased heat put off by SLI, as well as the fact that it doesn't overclock well and doesn't scale well (The hotter card being the one with the most work load, so it can't be overclocked that high anyway.) you're best bet is to go for a 580 if you're into spending money. A single 580 nearly matches the performance of the 460 in SLI configuration, and overclocked, I'm fully certain the 580 will reach higher speeds. After all, it is marketed as the fastest single GPU. Not that marketing is always 100% accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    CrossFire/SLI leads to increased heat generation, and is far more difficult to maintain. If you can equal the performance with a single card, it should be preferred. Sell your 460 on eBay and get the 580 if you're into spending loads of money. Or just keep a SINGLE 460 and get a nice cheap (but good) Antec TruePower. If he didn't know you couldn't SLI the 560 and the 460, he probably isn't that computer savvy. Xsistor, I appreciate your effort in these threads, but misinformation is frowned upon.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2...ndex,2674.html
    Notice how the 580 leads by a MASSIVE margin in comparison to the 460. Let's assume this were a perfect world, and SLI'ing gave double the performance (though this is 100% not true). Even then, 119.29 versus 67.40 x 2 ( 134.8). Due to the increased heat put off by SLI, as well as the fact that it doesn't overclock well and doesn't scale well (The hotter card being the one with the most work load, so it can't be overclocked that high anyway.) you're best bet is to go for a 580 if you're into spending money. A single 580 nearly matches the performance of the 460 in SLI configuration, and overclocked, I'm fully certain the 580 will reach higher speeds. After all, it is marketed as the fastest single GPU. Not that marketing is always 100% accurate.

So your recommendation is a £400 card when he's trying to spend in teh region of £120 on another card? If anything that's misinformation and just plain ridiculous. It's crazy to even suggest something £280 overbudget (or its USD equivalent) .

The OP seems to be doing a build himself so I'm sure he's got enough tech savvyness to deal with a few SLI profiles.

If he were to sell his card I'd recommend this instead: GTX 480 SOC = 580 performance for £227.99
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...14&subcat=1750

If he doesn't live in the UK though I don't know where he can get a similar deal
    Last edited by xsistor; 2011-04-13 at 03:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So your recommendation is a £400 card when he's trying to spend in teh region of £120 on another card? If anything that's misinformation and just plain ridiculous. OP

The OP seems to be doing a build himself so I'm sure he's got enough tech savvyness to deal with a few SLI profiles.

If he were to sell his card I'd recommend this instead: GTX 480 SOC = 580 performance for £227.99
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...14&subcat=1750

If he doesn't live in the UK though I don't know where he can get a similar deal
    Because an already overclocked card is better than a stock GPU, obviously.

There are plenty of people who do builds for themselves, but know nearly jack shit about how it all works. Putting a computer together is like putting LEGOs together. Really easy, doesn't mean they know how everything else works. Most of the time it's not that they just lack the knowledge, they have no desire to learn said knowledge, they just want it to work. Which is something i'm against, but that's how it is.

From what i understand of what the OP said, he's already got the GPU, and won't be buying another one. He just listed it there in order to tell us which GPU he'd use in his rig.

OT: Do you have any plans on overclocking and/or upgrading some parts later on? If that's the case, i'd say go with the 750W, as the premium for those extra 100W is far less than the price of a new 750W PSU (which you will need when you upgrade in case you go for the 650W now).
    Last edited by Mestofiles; 2011-04-13 at 08:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just clock the 460 up to 800MHz+ core and 4000MHz (2000 in MSI AB) memory and it will perform decent (ehrm, well it's OK at ref clocks too). SLI if you find that you have to in order to reach a certain level of quality in some game.

It's low on the charts because reference clock is very low compared to what the card actually can handle (meaning it's a good overclocker).