[Music] Gustav Holst; a musical genius!

For those who play in Orchestra, Band, or just know a lot about music... http://youtu.be/Nz0b4STz1lo and this of course http://youtu.be/L0bcRCCg01I

15+ Year Old Account
    Moving to the Music forum for you.

Not only that, he never considered Pluto to be a planet anyway. He was WAY ahead of his time.

I actually have The Planets on my computer, and it makes awesome mindless grinding music for anything. It was the first thing I broke in my 7.1 surround sound headset with.
    "It was the product of a mind so twisted, it was actually sprained." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nurabsal View Post
    on an aside, i think Bane Falcon might be my hero
    2-2-2012. We shall always remember the day where Paladins ascended through the Light to become GODS.

I'd love to play any of The Planets... but the only piece my high school band got to play by Holst is First Suite in Eb. A great piece, but I'd rather play something else xD

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love The Planets. It's actually my favorite classical piece. After that comes Beethoven's 6th (The Pastoral) and Grieg's Peer Gynt.

Deleted
    Here comes the bump of the year (so terribly sorry):

I was going through my collection of classical music, and when I was listening to Mars by Holst: At 4:25 in the Youtube version, isn't that used in World of Warcraft Horde quests? I vaguely remember this.

Or I must be imagining things. I simply love what he did and how he inspired John Williams.

You'd be hard pressed to find any type of orchestral or soundtrack music that isn't influenced by Holst somehow. The airship music in Super Mario Bros 3 is another example.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdris View Post
    Not only that, he never considered Pluto to be a planet anyway. He was WAY ahead of his time.
    Possibly has something to do with the fact that the Planets was written before Pluto's discovery.
    I don't hate you. I'm just not necessarily excited about your existence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gustav Holst was truly one of the greatest musical minds of all time.
    "I see nothing. I hear nothing. I taste victory."

"Trolling (verb): speaking your honest opinion." - you know who