Deleted

Profs for a fresh start

Okay,

So I'm going to be creating a completely new character on another server so will be starting with absolutely nothing.

The question is. Should I bother trying to level a crafting profession (ideally I'd like to take up Engineering at some point), or just rock the double gathering professions as Mining / Herbalism?

Like I say, I need it to be able to make money more than anything (I know JC / Enchanting is the obvious choice for making money in the long-run, but as a fresh character, it's probably just going to be far too expensive).

Any suggestions guys? I never did keep up with the Cataclysm changes

Thank you.

I'd go with a combo of Mining/Herb/Skin. Despends on what your character is gonna do though and how you play...there are so many variables that you haven't given enough info to know for sure. If you're 100% on Engineering, just go mining/engineer.

Double gather. Focus on making gold first, it'll be way more helpful to your levelling experience then a crafting prof. When you hit 85 and have some income going you can drop one or both for better endgame profs.

I would suggest picking mining and either herbalism or skinning. As others have suggested you will make more money this way and by selecting mining as one of your prof's you can stockpile the mats you need for engineering as well in preparation for picking up engineering later.

i just done what you are planning to do

mining / herb / skinning

pick two

with the implementation of the ability to have multiple tracking at once therefore allowing you to actually do mining / herb at 100% efficiency.

if you want to min max you're gonna have to look at the auction house beforehand, just run either a human or a troll to stormwind / org and check the AH of the various herbs and ore, with how...for lack of a better word, Gay, skinning is to do its pretty profitable now (im 39 atm on the new server starting fresh, already in a lv 25 guild, 32 slot mining bag 28 slot skinning bag rest 16 slotters, 500g in the coffer already, not going insanely out of my way to mine / skin either) so it just comes down to which makes more cash, early herbs or early nodes, my server (frostmourne alliance) early herbs are pretty crappy cash wise, so mining it is!

If I were going to start fresh, I think my first character would be a Worgen Druid with Skinning and Herbing. If you're on the horde side, I'd go with the same combo on a Tauren (because the skinning/herbing racials are pretty nice for farming). Mining is also nice; but the perk sucks unless you're a tank (and it's still not all that), and the prices of Obsidium and Elementium Ore might take a dump come 4.1.

Anyhow, YMMV.

Good Luck!
    Beardzerker

Alchemy is a real goldmine. Herb+Alchemy would be the way to go imo.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    id say herbalism and alchemy, and if you dont like gathering go JC / ALCH. JC might cost a bit to level, but its made me tons of gold. after you have a sufficient amount of gold id pickup engineering and keep alch.

alch is nice because it makes flasks last 2 hours, and you get +80 to your main stat. engie is obviously the best prof for stat enhancement though, and from a personal standpoint id say next best it alchemy or JC.
    PM me with any questions/concerns you may have.

Gathering professions are not reliant on having substantial amount of materials which would otherwise take a lot of time out of questing to obtain.
    Due to the xp gains from gathering it will help with levelling a little faster too.

Deleted
    Check the auctionhouse before you start on this new server and check the prices on herbs / nodes / leathers and take the 2 gathering professions where you earn most, easy

I would agree with others that recommend double gathers in order to generate great gold cash flow.

Deleted
    Go double gathering. Not only will you make a lot of gold its also a very nice exp gain. I got double gather in my paladin and the leveling went a lot faster then normal. 1 herb would give me the same exp as killing 3 random mobs.

Deleted
    I always start with some copper-farming, its good for some basic Gold on EVERY server.
    Then i´ll just get what i need for my class (Blacksmithing for warrior etc.)

Deleted
    Engineering isn't all that great in Cataclysm. There's really not much to it and it's a hige money sink.

I think you're better off with two gathering professions. Herbalism especially is a safe money maker as demand is constant.

Deleted
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Seems the general consensus is definitely opting for the double gatherer option. I'll check the prices of ore, skins and herbs on the WoW Armory AH to see what's best to pick.

Then like some have suggested I can always swap out to Engineering at a later date.