Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wotanik View Post
    Take out your processor cooling, wipe off the paste, put cooling back, overclock and run something really heavy. CPU toasted.
    That could probably cause a fire too... Assuming he has a 6yr old computer, which he does, it doesn't have the safety devices to prevent total malfunction. (Probably.)

very simple get a screwdriver and find some TINY capacitors somewhereon the mb and place the screwdriver on the side of it and tap a few off. Boom dead motherboard. once off you will never know one was supposed to be there cause there are tons of empty cap spots on mb's already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    This could also be used as a tax write-off for the father.

Personally, I morally disagree with trying to trick your parents like this. I'm leaving the thread open, though, since it is not my job to enforce morality (warez, torrent or otherwise, are different, for example, as they are illegal). HOWEVER, from this point forward, anyone who suggests anything that could possibly end with an electrical fire (large overvolting, dust accumulation, stopping fans, water, bending CPU pins, etc) will receive infractions.
    I'm going to post this really big so you guys can read, since obviously you're ignoring the moderator. I'll put it in simple terms...

Knocking things off of your motherboard can cause a fire.
    High overclocking without proper cooling can cause a fire.
    Short circuiting can cause a fire.
    Placing anything IN your computer can cause a fire.

Touching any piece of the internal workings while it is on can cause self injury. (Aside from fan, but still, don't touch it.)
    Touching "X to Z" can cause self injury.

To those who believe they're morally obligated to save some kid's life, people are being reported for idiotic posts. You have no reason to...
    1.) Say you're reporting them.
    2.) Comment on their posts.
    Simply report those you think are unsafe and moderators will deal with them. Simple.
    This is the computer forum, not the "Oh my God, I need Life Advice" forum. He's asking a question, he deserves an answer. If you don't have one, don't post. No one cares about your higher post count, or how good of a person you are on the internet.
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2011-04-13 at 08:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Ape View Post
    wait, was it the father who needs to "come to his senses"?
    His father was being irrational in denying his son access to his own money... Sure kids can make dumb decisions (especially with money, I know I did when I was a kid), but it is a new computer, which can be used for things other than playing video games (school work?), and it is a lot more innocent than other things he could be getting himself into...

I had an experience as a kid uncannily similar to this one... I wanted to build my own PC using money I had earned working for my father (who owns a small town grocery store), but because my PC wasn't broken he said no for a LONG time. Eventually I was finally able to convince him, and I enjoyed building my PC (with A LOT of help from a cousin) so much that I decided I wanted to do it for a living... I've now got a Master's degree in Computer Networking and I'm the head of IT at a bank, making (what I consider to be) great money... If I hadn't convinced my father way back in 9th grade to let me build that PC, who knows where I'd be.

15+ Year Old Account
    Since this has now turned into a moral debate, I think it's run its course
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right