Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xsistor View Post
    That case is actually very high quality and looks better than it does in pictures . You could remove the drive then. And get a different case. For this type of system the heat won't be too much of an issue even on a non-gaming case. Just make sure it at least has the allowance for two fans for air intake and exhaust.
    If you are really into looks I might recommend CM HAF 912. It looks gorgeous and is a very high performance case:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Tpk=HAF%20912

this is what it looks like with front red LED fans powered on: http://cdn1.shopperhive.co.uk/n/cool...tower-case.jpg

Your monitor is 1080p so this 5850 will let you place all the demanding games like Crysis on max settings

---------- Post added 2011-04-13 at 06:39 PM ----------

Now take a look at his rig and yours:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Produ...60.61.62.63.64

The i7 920 was an amazing CPU in its time and it still is. It is very meaty with its 4 cores/8threads. While it will trounce the i3 2100 on most multithreaded apps, it doesn't in a game like WoW (which happens to be multithreaded too):

i7 920: 85.5 FPS
    i3 2100: 94.1 FPS

Not bad for a budget CPU. Sandybridge is the sweet spot for gaming rigs. You normally get a 10 FPS performance boost over older Nehalems/Lynnfield/Clarkdale which themselves are amazing CPUs compared to the rest of the pack. A 10 FPS boost for a CPU upgrade is substantial.

On top of it the 5850 is more powerful than a GTX 460. So you can expect to have better FPS than Adon.
    im assuming cd drive, extra usb etc etc has to be added seperately?

and this is myy failed computer knowledge leaking through but what about audio?

basically this thread has become a teach me how to build a computer thread XD im learning alot from it

Quote Originally Posted by murdockpt View Post
    im assuming cd drive, extra usb etc etc has to be added seperately?

and this is myy failed computer knowledge leaking through but what about audio?

basically this thread has become a teach me how to build a computer thread XD im learning alot from it
    I included a DVD drive which can play CDs.

USB ports and soundcard all come built into the mainboard. You could add more ports for special cases but it is unlikely you'd ever need it. You can of course get a hig quality soundcard if you want. That's a whole other option. If you have excellent speakers you may want to invest in a pricey sound card.

Basically all you need comes with the components you buy when you get:
    CPU, Mainboard, RAM, Graphics Card, Hard Drive, DVD Drive (or BD- or CD- drive or whatever), Case, Power Supply.

The CPU comes with a stock fan but if you're overclocking you are better of getting a separate fan. The Core i3 2100 however is not designed for overclocking (you need a K series sandybridge processor for that), but it doesn't matter as hte performance is great. I'd rather have a Core i3 2100 which CAN'T be overclocked than a Core i3 540 which can be overclocked.

How much are you willing to spend on a new computer?

10+ Year Old Account
    if i want to buy it relatively soon, 400. if i want to put it off until im more settled, 500+

---------- Post added 2011-04-13 at 03:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xsistor View Post
    I included a DVD drive which can play CDs.

USB ports and soundcard all come built into the mainboard. You could add more ports for special cases but it is unlikely you'd ever need it. You can of course get a hig quality soundcard if you want. That's a whole other option. If you have excellent speakers you may want to invest in a pricey sound card.

Basically all you need comes with the components you buy when you get:
    CPU, Mainboard, RAM, Graphics Card, Hard Drive, DVD Drive (or BD- or CD- drive or whatever), Case, Power Supply.

The CPU comes with a stock fan but if you're overclocking you are better of getting a separate fan. The Core i3 2100 however is not designed for overclocking (you need a K series sandybridge processor for that), but it doesn't matter as hte performance is great. I'd rather have a Core i3 2100 which CAN'T be overclocked than a Core i3 540 which can be overclocked.
    i dont think ill be overclocking

i currently have an external usb sound card. was just making sure

thanks alot for your links, theyve been really useful.