Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Disc Priest worth it in Cataclysm?

I've noticed since the release of cataclysm there are way more Holy priests. Where did all the disc priests go? How come all the priests went holy? Is Disc a mana issue? please let me know I've always wanted to level a disc priest for the damage mitigation in raids and I just wanted to know if it was worth it. Oh, and because i love the bubbles. please no smart comments.

smells like troll but well its simple 10mann raids diszi=superior to holy and 25mann raids holy = superior simple as that

Anime-List
    Hearthstone: Inngrimsch #2408
    Steam
    LoL

The disc play style has changed a lot since wrath and (at least to me) is a bit harder to really understand/execute properly than Holy is. So I think a lot of people switched to Holy because they found it easier/more enjoyable. From what I have seen though someone who plays Disc well can stand up to any other healer. So no Disc isn't bad... it's just a different playstyle.

Thank you for the answers. I just always wanted to level a disc priest.

both our healers have Disc spec for 25 man heroics, there essential for heroic encounters for there BIG BUBBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Valynvin View Post
    smells like troll but well its simple 10mann raids diszi=superior to holy and 25mann raids holy = superior simple as that
    That depends on your set up. I can out heal all of our healers (including Holy Priest) in our 25mans. Some fights allow for some classes to have more healing done.

OP: Yes, Disc is a worthwhile spec to go for if that is what you are interested in.

It's a 100% playstyle thing. One I encouraged people to adopt in Wrath that actually lends itself well to the current healing design.

But a lot of people, myself included, play Holy because it feels... smoother...I guess? I'm not sure the words for it, but both specs give you control, it's just a matter of a PS3 controller vs. an XBox 360 controller in your hand, which one feels more natural is up to you to decide.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Valynvin View Post
    I kinda look at it the other way around. Holy being better in 10 and Disc better in 25. We run with a Holy Pally, Resto Shaman, Holy Priest in our 10mans. The priest rarely uses Disc because of mana problems and lower healing output compared to Holy.

How bad are the mana problems as Disc compared to Holy?

Quote Originally Posted by Higglez View Post
    How bad are the mana problems as Disc compared to Holy?
    They're only apparent when you try to play like Wrath and make Power Word: Shield 60+% of your total output.

If you're flowing between shields and penance, Mending and Prayer, or high powered single target heals, it's not bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    They're only apparent when you try to play like Wrath and make Power Word: Shield 60+% of your total output.

If you're flowing between shields and penance, Mending and Prayer, or high powered single target heals, it's not bad at all.
    And not trying to cast greater Heals and Flash Heals

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Greater's useful, when it's not overheal.

A lot of people lean too heavily on it though, which despite its effective HPM (only active when you have Train of Thought), it burns through your mana too fast. Casting Heal twice might be slower, but your tank does have avoidance and a bigger health pool to take advantage of.

The first Priest in any raid should be Discipline. In 10 mans this essentially means that you should be Discipline. In 25 mans you have more options. Typically in 25 mans two Discipline Priests is perfectly fine, but three is pushing it. So if you're the second healing Priest you can consider Disc vs Holy, if your'e the third you should really look into Holy. Your best Priest should typically be Discipline though and for several fights having multiple Discipline Priests can trivialize certain mechanics. In normal modes this is less relevant, but I don't consider anything tailored to normal modes to be worthwhile. Keep in mind that tier 11 is not a HPS intensive tier in the least. Looking at who has the easiest time raking in the HPS is not going to get you very far in hardmodes. Discipline is taken due to utility. The change to the Guardian Spirit glyph has reduced Holy's utility greatly and several hardmode mechanics heavily favor having multiple Priests with PW:B available.

The issue is that there isn't a whole lot that Holy can do that Discipline can't, while there are a few things Discipline can do that Holy can't. I'd expect this to change wildly as we progress and Blizzard falls back into requiring higher and higher HPS:health ratios to beat encounters. They've done it every expansion and in vanilla. I'd expect T12 HM to be more-or-less Wrath style healing. So keep that in mind. Not that it's hard to switch between the two currently.
    Last edited by harky; 2011-04-13 at 06:37 PM. Reason: YARLY!

Disc is awesome, mana = no issue aslong as your PW:S is for emergencies and for tank pre-pull stuff, I'd recommend it over holy (especially for leveling thru 5-mans)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliyra View Post
    And yet here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Actually, Greater Heal isn't too bad with Train of Thought bringing down the cooldown on Inner Focus. One thing I like about Discipline is how you can "combo" different heals together. For example for burst healing you can use Power Word: Shield, then Penance to take advantage of Borrowed Time but not consume it, and then a speedy Greater Heal.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    Actually, Greater Heal isn't too bad with Train of Thought bringing down the cooldown on Inner Focus.
    It's still higher MPS than it needs to be, and too many people lean so heavily on it because "omg its efficient", when that efficiency is destroyed the second you include any percentage of overheal.

Ive played this Disc priest main since forever...i love it still in cataclysm, if you are unsure, you may prolly end up holy...but if you love you some disc like i do, disc is still really fun :}

---------- Post added 2011-04-13 at 02:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stooe View Post
    Disc is awesome, mana = no issue aslong as your PW:S is for emergencies and for tank pre-pull stuff, I'd recommend it over holy (especially for leveling thru 5-mans)
    PW:S is my top heal...with great gear and mana tide totems, some innervates(maybe) my cooldowns, throwing out bubbles is a non issue...like i said, always my top heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    It's still higher MPS than it needs to be, and too many people lean so heavily on it because "omg its efficient", when that efficiency is destroyed the second you include any percentage of overheal.
    True, it's not always the best choice, casting an expensive heal you don't really need because it will let you use your "make my spell mana efficent" talent really defeats the point, but you shouldn't actively try and avoid casting them if they are the right heal for the job and Train of Thought is a little bonus.

That being said, I always feel a little disappointed with myself when I need to cast Flash Heal, I feel like if I need to use it I have made a mistake somewhere. Of course I just heal when needed in normal modes in our little casual guild and am usually Shadow, I am certain in hardmodes it is much more of a workhorse.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Deleted
    yes

10 char

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    because it will let you use your "make my spell mana efficent" talent
    Off-topic, but I was just reminded of a certain witch that lived on the moon: "MAKE MY MONSTER GROW!"

Flash is used a little sparingly, but you shouldn't feel guilty for using it. The whole point is a fast "oh shit don't die" spell.