1. #14041
    TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    tetrisGOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    12,469
    I am not sure whether you're all being serious or trying to pull a prank on me. Either way, I will never accept your point of view, since the hitter has the ultimate responsibility. That Canadian players don't adapt to international rules shouldn't have them injured. Either way, I'm leaving the discussion. I've got better things to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Looks like we won the Spenglar cup too, I don't see how we need to adjust to your rules when we dominate your tournaments
    I've never heard of it sorry.

  2. #14042
    The Lightbringer draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,305
    no prank, its a routine hit, if they did away with it the sport would be as soft and unwatchable as the NFL is becoming

  3. #14043
    Moderator Zoma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    7,491
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    He goes to hit a player he knows keeps his head down. Thinking "Hey, here's a freebie!".
    Yes, you have responsibility for keeping your head up. But the hitting player has responsibility, too.
    I'm sorry that you can't adapt to international rules, but that's it. It's not clean. It may be in North America, so maybe that needs changing. In North America.
    If hitting a player who keeps his head down is dirty, then players will start intentionally keeping their head down in hopes of drawing a penalty.

  4. #14044
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,729
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I am not sure whether you're all being serious or trying to pull a prank on me. Either way, I will never accept your point of view, since the hitter has the ultimate responsibility. That Canadian players don't adapt to international rules shouldn't have them injured. Either way, I'm leaving the discussion. I've got better things to do. I've never heard of it sorry.
    You're failing to provide any evidence what so ever that he broke a rule. No one is pranking or trolling you, it was a clean hit. You can choose not to accept our point of view for whatever reason but that doesn't change the fact that in this particular instance that it was a clean hit. Canada plays hockey the way it was meant to be played. You should check out womans hockey, you might like it a bit more.

  5. #14045
    I am Murloc! Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Halifax, NS.
    Posts
    5,852
    Remember when we were all friends and all loved each other....?

    No...?


    Me neither.

    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

  6. #14046
    As a non-biased, (former) avid hockey enthusiast, that is absolutely a clean hit by NHL and international standards. There is literally nothing dirty about the play in a hockey sense. In a common sense kind of way, ya, it's absolutely a dirty hit - hitting anyone who doesn't know it's coming is dirty in a bar... but this is hockey.

    There is precedent for these kinds of hits, and plenty of it. I am speaking strictly of the head-down in the corner hit between Canada and whoever it was.

    I'm not trying to disagree with anyone, but if I was Shanahan or Campbell in the past, I would not be able to give this guy a suspension of any kind, because in hockey terms, it is pretty much the perfect hit.

  7. #14047
    Bloodsail Admiral Garbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,006
    Russia vs Canada was my favorite game to watch so far, USA killed it tonight 9 - 3 bam

  8. #14048
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    I should be getting ready to go to Ann Arbor for the Winter Classic right now. Fuck the owners. I hope they all drink infected water at their next meeting and die of cholera.

  9. #14049
    Well things are at least sounding good, but we all know how that is by now. One thing is for sure, if the Union files to dissolve its all over.

  10. #14050
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Well things are at least sounding good, but we all know how that is by now. One thing is for sure, if the Union files to dissolve its all over.
    They won't do that until after the drop dead date on the 13th or 14th when the season is officially cancelled.

  11. #14051
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I should be getting ready to go to Ann Arbor for the Winter Classic right now. Fuck the owners. I hope they all drink infected water at their next meeting and die of cholera.
    What do you mean? It's the players' fault.

    There's a reason other sports get a higher pay, such as basketball. There may not be equally skilled or close to as skilled players in the NHL compared to other professional leagues or minors, but for example Basketball, the skill gap is so high between the best players and the rest of the world that they can't afford to not pay them.

    Also Hockey is popular, but not exactly a money sport. Endorsements from professional athletes from Football, Soccer or Basketball can turn in huge profit, given that their faces are more recognized than a Hockey player's.

  12. #14052
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by emitchell29 View Post
    What do you mean? It's the players' fault.
    It is a lockout, not a strike. Therefore by the very definition of the word this is the owners fault. The players aren't taking billions out of the pockets of the owners. The players aren't the ones who shelled out massive deals that violated the spirit of the last CBA and then cried poor two weeks later. The players aren't without blame, but the lockout is entirely the owners fault because it is a LOCKOUT.

    Apparently I was wrong about that disclaimer filing. The NHLPA is supposed to have a conference call vote this afternoon so it could happen sooner.

  13. #14053
    TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    tetrisGOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    12,469
    There is progress made. Apparently, Ottawa are recalling their players from Europe.
    Sources are reporting, while fragile, something is in the works and they aren't leaking things anymore. Is this a sign they are serious?

    Personally, I've wondered whether it hadn't been better to have started working toward preserving next season instead, and thus not rush bad decisions now and/or try to rescue a mostly wrecked ship as far as this season is concerned.
    * shrug

  14. #14054
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    You guys think they will run those hockey's back commercials again? If they do I might burn down the ACC (thats where the NHL offices are right?).

  15. #14055
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerdozia View Post
    I played hockey for 10 years. I have made my fair amount of bad decisions but I have never went for a hit when the player is out of play. Also I have never tried to hurt anyone on purpose. After your game against Slovakia today I have lost every last bit of respect for the Canadian hockey team. If that would have been Sweden I would be ashamed. Canada deserve a disqualification from this tournament.
    No offense but Canada plays hockey at a higher level of physical aggression then most of Europe. So does the US and Russia. European players seem to be a bunch of softies, maybe its all the soccer you guys watch where if two players legs come within 2 feet of each other they both fall to the floor grabbing their ankles like peter griffin.

    I personally like to see lots of hard hits, its part of the reason why I like the sport so much. I don't care for the European way to play hockey - dance around like ballerina's trying to put the puck in the net. I prefer to see red stains on the ice. Play hard or go home.

  16. #14056
    That Canadian hit was clean all the way. Sure, it was crushing...but in no way did he break any rules at all.

    That's hockey...its the pussy Europeans complaining about shit like this and softening the sport.

    I played varsity hockey for a D1 prep school from 2002-2005 and we had crushing hits like that every single game.

    This, however, is a dirty hit:



    All of the dirty boarding hits are MUCH worse than a clean, open ice hit.
    Last edited by Toxigen; 2013-01-02 at 04:24 PM.

    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    "Elo Hell is where the Ego is greater than the Elo." -Bystekhilcar

  17. #14057
    Bloodsail Admiral Garbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,006
    Got my tickets to the NCAA Hockey Classic at Soldier Field for Feb 17th!

  18. #14058
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,729
    Canada vs USA and Russia vs Sweden in the semis. First tournament in awhile that I've seen actual Flames prospects playing. Johnny Gaudreau scored a hatty in their quarter final game and all 3 goals were fairly similar. He had 2 goals in the game vs Slovakia too, so it's actually feels super good to see that there is at least some talent in the pipe line here. I'd like to see them trade Jarome to the Blues for Ty Rattie so we could have Rattie and Baertschi play together as they lit shit up in Portland last season. Won't happen for whatever reason but you guys have no idea how good it feels to have young prospects because we really haven't had shit in the last while.

  19. #14059
    Moderator Kerdoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    No offense but Canada plays hockey at a higher level of physical aggression then most of Europe. So does the US and Russia. European players seem to be a bunch of softies, maybe its all the soccer you guys watch where if two players legs come within 2 feet of each other they both fall to the floor grabbing their ankles like peter griffin.

    I personally like to see lots of hard hits, its part of the reason why I like the sport so much. I don't care for the European way to play hockey - dance around like ballerina's trying to put the puck in the net. I prefer to see red stains on the ice. Play hard or go home.
    Honestly I see no point in keeping this discussion alive. You and the others do not understand a word of what I am trying to say. I like hard and massive hits. It is the way the hit was executed that disgust me. And yes, Canada and USA does have way more physical play in their leagues but that does not matter. You either adapt to the International rules or you can stay home. I would not come to Canada and live by Swedish laws.

    Enough about that now.
    I watched the game between USA and Czech Republic, 7-0 in a quarter finals Not sure if Cze was really bad or USA impressed alot! I really like USA's goalie though He is easily goalie of the tournament so far

  20. #14060
    An issue being overlooked is that in the WJC you've got players from 17 to 20, usually 18-19 on average and there are many different body types and different stages of physical development. Camara and Luza are close in terms of physicality, both 6'0" and 190-195lb, but Camara plays in the OHL and is a Bruins draft pick, also 1 year older and has played 308 games in the OHL to Luza's 165 with all but 2 being only in Slovakian leagues and international tournaments. It's a total mismatch 1 on 1 between the two in terms of experience and development, when a hit like that occurs you're damn right it's going to be devastating. That doesn't mean it shouldn't happen. It sucks he got hurt, I have no idea how bad it ended up being, but he won't make that mistake again I'm sure...rule #1 every kid learns when you hit PeeWee is to keep your head up at all times. Especially if you're going to skate up with the puck along the boards. I spent 6 years destroying kids who did that and I would not hesitate for a moment because that's exactly how it should be played.

    As for "international rules," most of them are a total joke, that hit is a perfect example of the IIHF being totally ass backwards when it comes to checking. If they're going to call penalties after the fact, penalizing the injury and not the act, they may as well just implement mercy rules for these games or implement running time and let the clock run down in the 3rd period...
    "But uh, says on your chart that you're fucked up. You talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded!"

    On Parole from Retard Rehabilitation since June 6, 2014.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •