1. #13781
    Grunt GameDrunks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Michigan, United States
    Posts
    12
    Hockey itself may be in danger because of this. Interest in the sport has been falling the last few years, and another lost season could be the nail in the coffin of the sport, at least in a major league perspective. It's a shame, its our favorite sport by far. But at least I've got to see my home team on top of the league for almost 20 years now, so that's something I guess.

  2. #13782
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by buck008 View Post
    Hell, it might be worth a try to move one of the poorly performing teams to Detroit, just to give it a shot before it gets contracted.
    Hey lets not go crazy bud. Detroit is pretty much destitute, the city not the Wings. Bringing in a second team would be nutso when Kansas City has an arena and you could probably get more fans there than for a non-Wings team.

    Or you know, put a team in Wisconsin where they have plenty of hockey tradition, lots of white people, a decently sized metro market in Milwaukee, and their fans are some of the most committed in sports (the fans own the Packers).
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-11-21 at 12:18 AM.

  3. #13783
    Bloodsail Admiral Garbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,006
    This is what you get when The Heckler makes an article on Patrick Kane...



    idiots.

    As far as length of CBA deal, NHL wants one long enough so there is no chance of impacting 100th anniversary season, which would be 2017-18 lol...

    The NHLPA breakdown of the $393M it is seeking for Make Whole is as follows: Year 1: 182M, Year 2: 128M, Year 3: 72M, Year 4: 11M.

    PA also proposes elimination of team walk away rights in salary arb.
    Last edited by Garbles; 2012-11-21 at 07:59 PM.

  4. #13784
    I am Murloc! Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Halifax, NS.
    Posts
    5,852
    Man... The Heckler is where I'm gonna get all my sports new from now on, they break the stories before anyone else!

    Gas every public building, restart the country.

    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

  5. #13785
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbles View Post
    idiots.
    Those are the same people who spread it all over Facebook that Celebrity X died when someone makes one of those fake celeb death stories.

    I know a good way the NHL and NHLPA can find that money. Erase the Coyotes.

  6. #13786
    I heard on the radio that the PA's offer today put the split at 182 million dollars between the two sides over the next 5 years with HRR getting to 50/50 at year 3. Sounds like the players dropped really low with the proposal too and yet the owners still don't even try to work with it. It's amusing how much the players are making concessions yet everyone wants to fucking blame the players for being greedy when the owners clearly aren't budging at all thinking that the union will crack and give in to a new deal.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-21 at 08:30 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Those are the same people who spread it all over Facebook that Celebrity X died when someone makes one of those fake celeb death stories.

    I know a good way the NHL and NHLPA can find that money. Erase the Coyotes.
    And the Blue Jackets, and the Islanders and the Panthers.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-21 at 08:34 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    St. Louis does have the market for a team, their attendance has been fine for the past 5 seasons.
    Washington is fine until Ovi leaves or they start losing.
    Nashville actually has the chance to be a good small market team, they're building a fan base.
    San Jose sells out every game, though that is due to their ticket prices being rather cheap, but with time hopefully they can raise the prices.
    Tampa can build around Stamkos and they're decent in attendance.
    Columbus I'd like to see win before we call them an awful market, they've been a terrible team excluding one season.
    Anaheim is whatever, it's California so it's a very band wagon state.
    Dallas had very strong attendance for about 8 seasons, then every other team in Texas started doing good while the Stars dwindled.

    Florida, and Phoenix though, really shouldn't have teams.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 11:48 PM ----------


    It'll never happen, I doubt another team in Ontario ever happens. Though it could work, the Leafs ownership wouldn't allow it to happen. Hamilton seems the more obvious place, though with Buffalo being so close it won't happen. Quebec City is the next Canadian city to get a team and the only one that seems plausible.
    With the Kitchener-Waterloo, Cambridge and Guelph area consisting of at least 500,000 people in the tri-city area, if not more, the area could easily support a team, and it's not far for people from Hamilton to drive either. Heck, even people from London and Brantford would trek to see a game in Kitchener, it's only about 30 minutes to Brantford and 1:30 by car to London.

  7. #13787
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    meh the whole $182 million is Fehr's side of the story. According to Bettman they are still much further apart and that is only a small portion of the difference. The truth I'm sure is somewhere in between those douche bags. And ya I can't stand constantly seeing people blame the greedy players. Its a lockout not a strike. The players are the ones being told to give back billions while the owners brag about record revenue and refuse to address the real problems of the NHL, not contracts, the dying limbs on the NHL tree that are leeching the league of resources. $182 million is about the amount the Coyotes lose over 6 years (they've lost roughly $85 million or more since the NHL took stewardship three years ago but Glendale covered most of it stupidly). Escalating contracts and lack of contract length caps (how the fuck they didn't see that coming last CBA is a mystery to everyone) are a problem but you know damn well that they are going to be exploited day 1 of the new CBA. The owners will immediately find every loophole they can find and exploit it to hell just like they did this CBA while crying poor.

    Frankly if I am one of the guys playing in the KHL right now making equal or similar money to their NHL contract I say fuck Bettman, fuck the owners and never come back.

  8. #13788
    I am Murloc! Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Halifax, NS.
    Posts
    5,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    With the Kitchener-Waterloo, Cambridge and Guelph area consisting of at least 500,000 people in the tri-city area, if not more, the area could easily support a team, and it's not far for people from Hamilton to drive either. Heck, even people from London and Brantford would trek to see a game in Kitchener, it's only about 30 minutes to Brantford and 1:30 by car to London.
    Buffalo and Detroit would probably dislike having a team so close to both their market, Buffalo more than Detroit obviously.

    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

  9. #13789
    Lord I don't check for a while and there is an entire page devoted to trying to get rid of our damn team. Hockey in and around the Nashville area has actually been on the rise, and tbh would probably would be in an awesome place if they would stop having lock outs. Nashville had a record number of sell outs last season ( 25 or so ), has zero issue selling tickets during the playoffs, and I think I heard on the local radio that it actually turned a profit last season. Sure we aren't Detroit or Boston, but we are a long damn way from Columbus or Phoenix. Things here also got a pretty good boost from fans in Atlanta traveling in since the move to Winnepeg, which will probably only get better as people get over the sting of losing the team.

    As far as backing the lockout, I'm not sure if Nashville would be included in that or not. I can see why they might be due to thinking they would be more profitable with a different CBA, but on the other I think they would probably be much more concerned about not losing momentum with the fan base, something a lockout just destroys. I'm not sure they have said publicly, but if I had to take a good guess I would say they backed it at the start, however as it has dragged on I'm betting that has changed some what.

    What is really bad about the lock out here is timing. The Titans are having yet another meh season, the Vols are doing poorly, so things were primed for them to gain even more interest right from the start of the season ( instead of around December ).

    Obviously I'm more than slightly biased, but if you were going to remove teams, Nashville would be the one team in the South I would look at keeping. They aren't at any risk of going bankrupt, its a sports town ( just needs to be refocused a bit), it has lots of Vacation travelers to help feed it, and tbh it has turned out to be one of the better places to watch a hockey game at.

    Now that we have recovered from the Leipold years we are in a much much better place. I think everyone is starting to figure just how big of a tool that guy is.

  10. #13790
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    As far as backing the lockout, I'm not sure if Nashville would be included in that or not. I can see why they might be due to thinking they would be more profitable with a different CBA, but on the other I think they would probably be much more concerned about not losing momentum with the fan base, something a lockout just destroys. I'm not sure they have said publicly, but if I had to take a good guess I would say they backed it at the start, however as it has dragged on I'm betting that has changed some what.

    What is really bad about the lock out here is timing. The Titans are having yet another meh season, the Vols are doing poorly, so things were primed for them to gain even more interest right from the start of the season ( instead of around December ).
    WTF is wrong with the Vols? Man their football team is just garbage and has been for awhile. You'd think a school that at least seems like a big name wouldn't suck that bad.

    As for the Preds being part of the lockout owners, look at it this way, there are at least nine owners right now who are preventing a deal from being made months ago. Those 9 almost certainly include Gary Bettman (the Phoenix Coyotes), James Dolan (the Rangers, giant douche), Jeff Vanderbeek (Devils, tons of financial trouble), Michael Yormark (Panthers, franchise is in horrible financial shape), and Craig LIARpold (Minnesota Wild), John McConnell (Columbus Blue Jackets). That is 6 guys that are almost certainly on that side. I'd guess that the owners of Nashville is one of the other three, but who knows. I'd probably guess Wang also since the Islanders are just biding time now until they move to Brooklyn in a few years. Plus this is one more year off the Dipietro contract lol. Anaheim is probably up there since that franchise is supposedly in rough shape.

    The only ones we can bank on not being part of the lockout is all the Canadian clubs, Detroit, Buffalo, Philly (their owner owns the damn tv contract, no way does he support the lockout), Chicago, Pittsburgh (who has been working under the table to try and build up enough owner support to end this rumor has it), LA, Boston, maybe the Caps, and possibly St Louis.

  11. #13791
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    WTF is wrong with the Vols? Man their football team is just garbage and has been for awhile. You'd think a school that at least seems like a big name wouldn't suck that bad.

    As for the Preds being part of the lockout owners, look at it this way, there are at least nine owners right now who are preventing a deal from being made months ago. Those 9 almost certainly include Gary Bettman (the Phoenix Coyotes), James Dolan (the Rangers, giant douche), Jeff Vanderbeek (Devils, tons of financial trouble), Michael Yormark (Panthers, franchise is in horrible financial shape), and Craig LIARpold (Minnesota Wild), John McConnell (Columbus Blue Jackets). That is 6 guys that are almost certainly on that side. I'd guess that the owners of Nashville is one of the other three, but who knows. I'd probably guess Wang also since the Islanders are just biding time now until they move to Brooklyn in a few years. Plus this is one more year off the Dipietro contract lol. Anaheim is probably up there since that franchise is supposedly in rough shape.

    The only ones we can bank on not being part of the lockout is all the Canadian clubs, Detroit, Buffalo, Philly (their owner owns the damn tv contract, no way does he support the lockout), Chicago, Pittsburgh (who has been working under the table to try and build up enough owner support to end this rumor has it), LA, Boston, maybe the Caps, and possibly St Louis.
    Conscript, usually I don't disagree with the things you say, but I am going to go ahead and say you've said a lot of wrong things here. I'll provide evidence for you later, but first things first. James Dolan definitely does not support this lock out.

    Dolan is probably the owner Bettman hates most from what I read, he's making the second most of all the NHL owners and his team looks like it's a huge contender for the cup right now. Least likely owner to have voted for the lockout? Dolan.

    Boston's owner is 100% part of the lockout. Seriously, look at the guy. He is the guy responsible for extending Bettman's contract, he's possibly one of the greediest person in the world, and is a huge player in keeping the game from being played.

    Snider (Philly) supported the lockout at first, but recently turned his opinion around. He definitely voted for the lockout in the first place though.

    Calgary's owner I'm sure voted for the lockout as well.

    Please research those owners further, but I'll provide proof if you ask.
    Last edited by Greeney; 2012-11-22 at 04:32 PM.

  12. #13792
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    Conscript, usually I don't disagree with the things you say, but I am going to go ahead and say you've said a lot of wrong things here. I'll provide evidence for you later, but first things first. James Dolan definitely does not support this lock out.

    Dolan is probably the owner Bettman hates most from what I read, he's making the second most of all the NHL owners and his team looks like it's a huge contender for the cup right now. Least likely owner to have voted for the lockout? Dolan.

    Boston's owner is 100% part of the lockout. Seriously, look at the guy. He is the guy responsible for extending Bettman's contract, he's possibly one of the greediest person in the world, and is a huge player in keeping the game from being played.

    Snider (Philly) supported the lockout at first, but recently turned his opinion around. He definitely voted for the lockout in the first place though.

    Calgary's owner I'm sure voted for the lockout as well.

    Please research those owners further, but I'll provide proof if you ask.
    No proof necessary, I trust you opinion over my (uninformed) one lol. I just hate James Dolan and figure he would be dick enough to support the lockout? I forgot it was actually Calgary and Edmonton's owners that actually initiated the lockout vote (I actually forgot Calgary existed lol) so you are totally right on them being involved.

  13. #13793
    I am Murloc! Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Halifax, NS.
    Posts
    5,852
    I'd have to assume St. Louis wants nothing to do with the lockout. Considering they just sold to a life-long NHL fan, I doubt he wants a lock-out.

    "Hey guys I love hockey and just bought your team, I bet you can't wait to watch them play in the 2014 seasons!"

    It just wouldn't make sense, it would be suicide.

    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

  14. #13794
    I'm absolutely disgusted at this lockout. Being a Ducks fan that has been going to game since the franchise was born, it is an absolute embarrassment and quite saddening to think about that one of the greatest players we've seen play the game in Teemu Selanne is going to have his career silently end most likely due to a labor battle.

    And for those that think Anaheim is one of the teams that are on the owners side. That couldn't be farther from the truth.. Contrary to recent attendance the past few years the Ducks generate some nice revenue in this area from things outside of hockey games. The team is in a very good place compared to other small market teams.
    Last edited by Wooblez; 2012-11-22 at 09:44 PM.

  15. #13795
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    Conscript, usually I don't disagree with the things you say, but I am going to go ahead and say you've said a lot of wrong things here. I'll provide evidence for you later, but first things first. James Dolan definitely does not support this lock out.

    Dolan is probably the owner Bettman hates most from what I read, he's making the second most of all the NHL owners and his team looks like it's a huge contender for the cup right now. Least likely owner to have voted for the lockout? Dolan.

    Boston's owner is 100% part of the lockout. Seriously, look at the guy. He is the guy responsible for extending Bettman's contract, he's possibly one of the greediest person in the world, and is a huge player in keeping the game from being played.

    Snider (Philly) supported the lockout at first, but recently turned his opinion around. He definitely voted for the lockout in the first place though.

    Calgary's owner I'm sure voted for the lockout as well.

    Please research those owners further, but I'll provide proof if you ask.
    Snider also happens to head up Comcast who own NBC (since Comcast are the owners of the Flyers), so nothing but a giant bunch of fucking hypocrisy from that decrepit old assbag. He is so in bed with Bettman that he must be giving Gary reach around's because if either of those two giant douche nozzles had any level of intelligence, they would have been the first to both prevent the lockout because of the TV contract. But hey, I guess Gary doesn't care that all that profit from NBC Sports has gone out the window since there won't be a season.

    Right now, if the season gets cancelled, there are rumors that the NHLPA could file for decertification which would effectively collapse the league itself and all the rules they have in place that have been created by the past collective bargaining agreements. All contracts would be nullified, which could in turn be a positive as the players union could reform and the league would have to negotiate an entirely new system and fix all the things that have damaged the game.

  16. #13796
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooblez View Post
    I'm absolutely disgusted at this lockout. Being a Ducks fan that has been going to game since the franchise was born, it is an absolute embarrassment and quite saddening to think about that one of the greatest players we've seen play the game in Teemu Selanne is going to have his career silently end most likely due to a labor battle.

    And for those that think Anaheim is one of the teams that are on the owners side. That couldn't be farther from the truth.. Contrary to recent attendance the past few years the Ducks generate some nice revenue in this area from things outside of hockey games. The team is in a very good place compared to other small market teams.
    According to Elliot Friedman from CBC, Anaheim, Columbus, Florida, the Islanders, Phoenix, St. Louis, Washington and Dallas are the hardline owners along with Boston. Samueli wants more revenue sharing because Anaheim is not in good financial shape at all. They aren't one of the absolute bottom of the barrel teams, but they are a money loser and a revenue sharing taker.

    ---------- Post added 2012-11-22 at 05:44 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Right now, if the season gets cancelled, there are rumors that the NHLPA could file for decertification which would effectively collapse the league itself and all the rules they have in place that have been created by the past collective bargaining agreements. All contracts would be nullified, which could in turn be a positive as the players union could reform and the league would have to negotiate an entirely new system and fix all the things that have damaged the game.
    God that would be such a mess, but man would that be awesome. I honestly wonder what the league would do if the NHLPA got every single contract voided. Would they have a draft when the league reforms? Would it be the Wild West on signing players?

  17. #13797
    I think many clubs would sign the players they know they want to keep and let the players they don't want to keep go. It would basically be the ultimate free agent frenzy of them all, but could potentially damage the league in other ways as well. The salary cap needs to be expelled from the NHL and revenue sharing between teams needs to die a horrible death, any other professional sports league would let franchises wither until they got moved if they failed to make money.

  18. #13798

    NHL lockout

    From what i can understand Gary Bettman dosent really seem to be that interested in a quick solution that he says he is.
    He dosent want to agree with any of NHLPA's proposals and he (if you ask me) only made this lockout for personal winning.
    which dosent really seem to be very smart of him tbh, since really Gary Bettman is replaceable there is there is probably someone in the world that would take on his job for WAY less money than Gary make and he would probably do it better (gary have 3 lockouts under his career.. way to go)
    But the players are NOT replaceable since there is a reason they play there and its because they are the very best players in the world so why is gary willing to sacrifice the players for his own good?

    So i wonder why is Gary doing this? Is he just a greedy person that wants to increase the size of his wallet or is he doing this to make NHL better?
    OR is it the players who are greedy since they still will make more money than a normal person?

    I myself do not think that hockeyplayers are overpaid, they are actually underpaid if you ask me, 82 games minimun in 1 season and still they make about the same as NFL players who plays like 16 games minimum?
    Last edited by grovely; 2012-11-23 at 12:01 AM.

  19. #13799
    TOTALLY NOT
    Banned
    tetrisGOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    12,459
    Keep Nashville! It's the most winningest team I have in the NHL-games. I want Mighty Ducks (screw "Ducks") to stay as well, because of Hampus Lindholm.

  20. #13800
    Almost all pro athletes are overpaid.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •