1. #14181
    I actually think my Preds do fairly well for one reason only, Pekka Rinne. The higher the work load gets the better he plays, and with the short season they won't need to worrying about resting him ( not like they did last year anyways). I figure the start will be kind of ugly, but thats ok because the more shots he faces the better he gets. I actually think this is the year he wins the Vezina Trohpy.

    I have no idea who is going to win it because the dynamics change, you don't really have the time for the young guys to get it like they normally would, although with the short season the first year guys won't have the issue of getting bogged down with the longer season like usually happens.

    I think the trade deadline will be crazy this year, especially with teams having the buyout option in the second year.

    We pretty much have the same team we had last year, minus Suter. Tootoo was already riding pine and the defenseman that went to Montreal ( can't even remember his damn name atm) was on his way out too. Granted, losing Suter is big, but we have always had pretty good defensemen that step up from the AHL every year.

    Forgot we signed the defenseman that played with Calgary as well ( Hannan I think was his name )
    Last edited by Armourboy; 2013-01-07 at 10:44 PM.

  2. #14182
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Cup Champions: Rangers. Its about time right? I mean that team has too much talent. I can see them being an absolute nightmare in this shortened season
    West Champions: Despite literally just slamming them two posts ago, I'm thinking I might take Chicago here.
    Finals: Rangers 4, Hawks 1
    Hart: Crosby (I think he is legitimately going to go the fuck off this season. Like historically (era adjusted) good if it wasn't a shortened year)
    Vezina: Lundqvist
    Art Ross: Crosby
    Calder: Shultz

    Bold predictions: Totally agree about the Wild flopping but they should be able to sneak into a playoff spot. St Louis does a 180 and falls back to earth. New Jersey won't even make the playoffs the year following making the Finals (is this bold?). Anaheim will blow up their team prior to the trade deadline including trading their goalie prospect who just carried the US to the gold. In the first year of the draft lottery, the 7th team will win the #1 overall pick and select Popeye Jones' way less weird looking son. San Jose trades Thornton as they realize they need to get younger and their window has closed. Calgary realizes the same thing and trades Iginla to a contender where he plays a significant role in getting them deep in the playoffs.
    Iginla is getting way too slow to be a real impact player, I'd play him as a 2nd line center before putting him on the 1st. He just doesn't have the footspeed anymore. I get the feeling that Burke is going to trade for Bernier and Getzlaf though, Kadri, Garret Sparks and a 2nd going to Anaheim for Getzlaf with a contract extension signed and sealed, Joe Colborne and Mat Frattin going to LA for Bernier. Anaheim needs to blow up the team and get what they can for their star players. I doubt Perry and Getzlaf want to sit around while the team becomes bottom feeders for the rest of their careers, but we don't need more wingers with Lupul, Kessel and JVR on the roster.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2013-01-08 at 12:30 AM.

  3. #14183
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Iginla is getting way too slow to be a real impact player, I'd play him as a 2nd line center before putting him on the 1st. He just doesn't have the footspeed anymore. I get the feeling that Burke is going to trade for Bernier and Getzlaf though, Kadri and a 2nd going to Anaheim for Getzlaf with a contract extension signed and sealed, Joe Colborne and Mat Frattin going to LA for Bernier.
    Ya I absolutely love both those deals for the Leafs. Getzlaf would be a sweet addition. I'd love for the Wings to get him.

  4. #14184
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Iginla is getting way too slow to be a real impact player, I'd play him as a 2nd line center before putting him on the 1st. He just doesn't have the footspeed anymore. I get the feeling that Burke is going to trade for Bernier and Getzlaf though, Kadri, Garret Sparks and a 2nd going to Anaheim for Getzlaf with a contract extension signed and sealed, Joe Colborne and Mat Frattin going to LA for Bernier. Anaheim needs to blow up the team and get what they can for their star players. I doubt Perry and Getzlaf want to sit around while the team becomes bottom feeders for the rest of their careers, but we don't need more wingers with Lupul, Kessel and JVR on the roster.
    I woulden't put Inginla on a team as center. He still has an incredible one timer, get him on a team where he can stand at the top of the circle and just get good feeds and he will put up 40 goals in a regular season easy. He's never had a #1 center ever, while Tanguay has been great a couple seasons, he's not a good centerman. Jarome is by far my favourite player and I would love to see him win a cup - probably more so than I enjoy seeing him put on the C every game. The best fit for him would be in Pittsburgh imo, Crosby and Malkin would do wonders for his goal count. They might not have the room for it but if Fleury gets his act together that addition would put them at such a huge advantage. Another place would be L.A., it was rumored a bunch a couple seasons ago - they might not have room for him either but they def have the strong centers to support his style. I don't think he'll be traded this year but he could be a huge free agent in the summer.

    Funny you should mention Joe Colborne, I played against him wayy long ago when I was like 12-13 years old. Pretty crazy, I remember seeing his name when they traded Kaberle and was like, fuck who is that I know that guy.

  5. #14185
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    He's never had a #1 center ever, while Tanguay has been great a couple seasons, he's not a good centerman.
    Speaking of Tang, what the hell is up with Calgary telling him he is going to be playing center this year? God that seems like a dumb idea. I love Iginla too. He has been one of the overlooked superstars in the NHL over the past decade. I still think the NHL missed a golden opportunity to market to blacks with guys like Iginla and try and grow the game. Its a shame that guy has had to toil away on mediocre team after mediocre team.
    Last edited by conscript; 2013-01-08 at 01:02 AM.

  6. #14186
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,714
    Yeah Tanguay is probably going to play center this year because we lost Jokinen and really don't have any people to play center. I don't agree with it but what can you do when the 2 guys you brought in (Hudler and Czervenka) to play the position aren't healthy. The options start to thin out pretty hardcore from there, Stajan, Backlund, Blair Jones? It's probably the best option to have Tanguay or Cammelarri go center. I don't know when those 2 Czech players are predicted to come back but I know Cervenka has an issue with his blood where he has to take blood thinners to stay somewhat healthy. Doesn't bode well.

    They really did fuck it up when they didn't trade Iggy after that 43 goal season the year before last. His stock will never be that high especially not in the last year of his contract. Sucks because I doubt they'll trade him at the deadline this year and this is his last year on pay roll, I expect he signs somewhere as a free agent in the summer. The only saving grace we have now is our future prospects. Sven Baertschi this year I'm hoping tears it up. Gaudreau is probably a 2014-2015 season player and Jankowski will likely follow the next season unless he makes major strides next year. Those 3 are really going to be the frontline of youth and talent and I hope the future. I think Giordano's role becomes more important next year when I don't think Jarome will be here. Tough times ahead, looking at a long term turn around with hopefully 2015-2016 being the year we start to return to the playoffs. Hard pill to swallow when I read it like that
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2013-01-08 at 01:31 AM.

  7. #14187
    I am Murloc! Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Halifax, NS.
    Posts
    5,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Crawford is good enough to win a cup, especially with that much talent defensively. He was not the reason they were eliminated by the Nucks and Yotes the past 2 years (although I believe it was game 3, the OT softy was very bad).
    This isn't NHL 13 where you can turn off line changes and have Seabrook and Keith play the entire game. Your two signing this off-season, Brookbank and Rozsival, aging slow d-men. Your top 2 are great, bottom 4 not so much. As for Crawford, I'd put him bottom 5 in the NHL. Hope Toews stays healthy.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 02:10 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    They really did fuck it up when they didn't trade Iggy after that 43 goal season the year before last. His stock will never be that high especially not in the last year of his contract. Sucks because I doubt they'll trade him at the deadline this year and this is his last year on pay roll, I expect he signs somewhere as a free agent in the summer. The only saving grace we have now is our future prospects. Sven Baertschi this year I'm hoping tears it up. Gaudreau is probably a 2014-2015 season player and Jankowski will likely follow the next season unless he makes major strides next year. Those 3 are really going to be the frontline of youth and talent and I hope the future. I think Giordano's role becomes more important next year when I don't think Jarome will be here. Tough times ahead, looking at a long term turn around with hopefully 2015-2016 being the year we start to return to the playoffs. Hard pill to swallow when I read it like that
    Feel like an ignorant retard for making fun of Calgary's prospects last year and completely forgetting about Baertschi, god that kid could be good. Too bad he's not a centre though.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 02:33 AM ----------

    Turns of that Visnovsky is going to finish his contract in the KHL. God damn Visnovsky, you really didn't want to play for the Islanders.
    Last edited by Irony; 2013-01-08 at 02:14 AM.

    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

  8. #14188
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Speaking of Tang, what the hell is up with Calgary telling him he is going to be playing center this year? God that seems like a dumb idea. I love Iginla too. He has been one of the overlooked superstars in the NHL over the past decade. I still think the NHL missed a golden opportunity to market to blacks with guys like Iginla and try and grow the game. Its a shame that guy has had to toil away on mediocre team after mediocre team.
    Except Iginla is Native Canadian, not black. Calgary used to be a threat in the West, but so many horrible managing decisions have made them a guaranteed bottom dwelling team. The only teams who won't make the playoffs are Dallas and Columbus. No one is sure how Edmonton will perform with a lack of skill on the blue line and a sub-par goalie tandem, if they can just out score everyone then maybe they will make the playoffs. Calgary will probably once again be in the 9 or 10 spot come playoff time, there is no hope for that franchise right now. They should have traded Iggy and Kipper when their stock value was high, now they might be lucky to get modest prospects for them, nothing that is going to be a future game changer for the team. The Phaneuf deal is where it all went to hell pretty fast for the Flames though.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 05:33 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    This isn't NHL 13 where you can turn off line changes and have Seabrook and Keith play the entire game. Your two signing this off-season, Brookbank and Rozsival, aging slow d-men. Your top 2 are great, bottom 4 not so much. As for Crawford, I'd put him bottom 5 in the NHL. Hope Toews stays healthy.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 02:10 AM ----------



    Feel like an ignorant retard for making fun of Calgary's prospects last year and completely forgetting about Baertschi, god that kid could be good. Too bad he's not a centre though.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 02:33 AM ----------

    Turns of that Visnovsky is going to finish his contract in the KHL. God damn Visnovsky, you really didn't want to play for the Islanders.
    Can't say I blame him, who wants to play for Garth Snow and Chris Wong? They are quite possibly the worst two people in hockey. I'd put Wong as being as bad as Ballard when it comes to being a cheap bastard, I can't believe he let one of his best players from last season walk away this summer just because he didn't want to pay the guy what he was worth.

  9. #14189
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Except Iginla is Native Canadian, not black.
    Did not know that.

    Wings are going to wait until the start of next season to retire Lidstrom's number. Really need to get tickets to that game.

  10. #14190
    Iginla was born in Edmonton, Alberta, on July 1, 1977. His father, a lawyer, was born in Nigeria and changed his first name from Adekunle to Elvis when he arrived in Canada.[3] His surname means "Big tree" in Yoruba, his father's native language.[4] Iginla's mother, Susan, is originally from Oregon, and has worked as a massage therapist and music teacher.

    From Wikipedia.

  11. #14191
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Whole bunch of rumors out there that Kovalchuk is not coming back for the Devils and will stay in the KHL.

  12. #14192
    Scarab Lord AceofHarts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,211
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Crawford is good enough to win a cup, especially with that much talent defensively. He was not the reason they were eliminated by the Nucks and Yotes the past 2 years (although I believe it was game 3, the OT softy was very bad).
    the Blackhawks DONT have talent defensively though...did you miss the part where they had ZERO SHUTOUTS last year?

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 08:59 AM ----------

    Predictions:

    Cup Champ: Rangers.
    Cup Finals: Rangers 4 - Kings 3.
    Bold Predictions: Wild, Blues miss playoffs.
    Art Ross: Crosby.
    Vezina: Rinne.
    Lidstrom (Norris): Chara.

  13. #14193
    I like the LA vs. NY prediction...but as to who will win...I'd have to say LA.

    If the Wild miss the playoffs that'll probably be the worst letdown in the history of hockey...the money they spent...dear lord.

    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    "Elo Hell is where the Ego is greater than the Elo." -Bystekhilcar

  14. #14194
    Pandaren Monk Stommped's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    This isn't NHL 13 where you can turn off line changes and have Seabrook and Keith play the entire game. Your two signing this off-season, Brookbank and Rozsival, aging slow d-men. Your top 2 are great, bottom 4 not so much. As for Crawford, I'd put him bottom 5 in the NHL. Hope Toews stays healthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    the Blackhawks DONT have talent defensively though...did you miss the part where they had ZERO SHUTOUTS last year?
    Your Red Wings bias is seaping from your pores. Hjalmarsson is a very underrated defensemen and at 25 he is just entering his prime. I mean of course the 5-6 defensemen are going to be old and slow, that's why they get 5-10mins max on the ice every game. Name a team that has 5-6 potential Norris winners? There isn't one. I'll take Keith/Seabrook/Hjalmarsson over any teams' trio of top defensemen.

  15. #14195
    Stood in the Fire Rivenda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    When your team has open flirtations with bringing in Luongo in the offseason I'm not willing to bet on their goaltending strength lol
    Indeed Hawks needs imo a new goalie, I'll never forgive them for letting Antii Neimi go.
    What do ya guys think of trading Kane? (Bash inc?)
    Oderint dum metuat.
    Success is dependent on effort.

  16. #14196
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    So they are starting to figure out how much cap hit people are going to be if they are hid in the minors, which you could do in the last CBA. Redden is going to be a $5.6 million cap hit for the Rangers if he is in the minors lol.

  17. #14197
    Wow you guys are missing probably the deepest most well rounded team,The Bruins. They had the most players playing over seas, Seguin looking to break out this year, Tuukka looking great, and a stud rookie defensemen in Hamilton with Chara. The are also a young intact team. The only question is a third line wing. Not to mention Horton coming back. The grit is there and they will be.able to score better. I wish they would trade Krecji for Iginla though. The Bs are primed for.another cup.

  18. #14198
    I am Murloc! Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Halifax, NS.
    Posts
    5,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Your Red Wings bias is seaping from your pores. Hjalmarsson is a very underrated defensemen and at 25 he is just entering his prime. I mean of course the 5-6 defensemen are going to be old and slow, that's why they get 5-10mins max on the ice every game. Name a team that has 5-6 potential Norris winners? There isn't one. I'll take Keith/Seabrook/Hjalmarsson over any teams' trio of top defensemen.
    Actually due to me being a Wings fan, I've been able to watch a lot of Chicago games. Hjalmarsson is a very solid top 6, it's just that's not very good when he's your third best. Chicago also gave up 2.82 GAA per game, yeah that amazing defense is really showing. You had a worse defense than the Flyers... Let that sink in.

    Also come on, we're all adults, we can value someones opinion even if they are from a rival team.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-08 at 07:50 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivenda View Post
    Indeed Hawks needs imo a new goalie, I'll never forgive them for letting Antii Neimi go.
    What do ya guys think of trading Kane? (Bash inc?)
    Well I mean if you don't want him... We'll take him.

    Really depends on what Chicago wants in return. Goalie/top 4 d-man should be in their sights. Could possibly go after Bernier and Scuderi, since they love old slow d-men.

    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

  19. #14199
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    Wow you guys are missing probably the deepest most well rounded team,The Bruins. They had the most players playing over seas, Seguin looking to break out this year, Tuukka looking great, and a stud rookie defensemen in Hamilton with Chara. The are also a young intact team. The only question is a third line wing. Not to mention Horton coming back. The grit is there and they will be.able to score better. I wish they would trade Krecji for Iginla though. The Bs are primed for.another cup.
    I think they are going to be real good, probably 3rd or 4th in the East this year. I don't think they can stand up with the Rangers and i am stupidly buying way too much into the Pens. I also refuse to give even one iota of a shit about the team owned by the guy most responsible for the lockout's length not named Bettman.

  20. #14200
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I think they are going to be real good, probably 3rd or 4th in the East this year. I don't think they can stand up with the Rangers and i am stupidly buying way too much into the Pens. I also refuse to give even one iota of a shit about the team owned by the guy most responsible for the lockout's length not named Bettman.
    I completely agree with the owner part, its a joke. The pens after last year are due.for a bad season imo. And the bruins have more scoring talent, and are better defensively than the rangers. I also cant trust king henrick in the playoffs yet. Tuukka will be goo he needs full time work. Hes a goalie who needs to get into a groove. Id put the bruins and probably the.canucks back in the finals Shneider i played against as a kid and hes the.real deal out there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •