10+ Year Old Account
    haven't been around in a bit, but i must say all of Canada must have been celebrating the canucks lose... especially shop owners in downtown van city.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbles View Post
    SPOILER ALERT: Capitals will win the cup, Flyers next year, and Toronto the year after.
    I wish. Lol.

I'll still be boggled if Washington makes it out of Round 1.
    Last edited by Asera; 2012-04-24 at 01:04 PM.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    I wish. Lol.

I'll still be boggled if Washington makes it out of Round 1.
    At this point, I actually wouldn't be surprised if they did. I'm rooting for the Bruins all the way, but I could definitely see the Caps winning if we continue to play the way we have. We aren't getting to the front of the net, most of our shots are from the perimeter, our PP is just horrendous, and we can't manage to get much by Holtby. It's definitely not impossible for us to win, and I sure as hell hope we do win, just saying that I won't be surprised if we end up losing Wednesday.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivenda View Post

Nuff' said.
    We really need a propper goaltender, that we can count on when we really need it. It stille buggles my mind why the fuck we didn't payed for Niemi, insted "Crapford" oh well, there's always a next year.
    I hear the same excuse about Niemi all the time of why we didn't pay for him. We had no room in the budge when the arbiter put the price tag on him for 2.7$ million for a 1 year contract. He was traded at the last possible moment because we were trying to find ways to make space for him. Plus, the following year he didn't do too well for the Sharks and he didn't too well this year either. I love Niemi, he without a doubt won us that cup, but we lost a lot of all key players from when we won the cup in 2010. It's not 2010 anymore, and 2012 is now out the window - it's time to look beyond this year and get ready for next year.

Was impressed with the Chicago fans tonight, most fans would have booed or been mean spirited, but the Chicago fans showed a lot of class tonight clapping for the Coyotes in their win. Top of the hat too Chicago!
    I felt the same way, just watching at home seeing OUR fans cheering the Coyotes on a solid win and their Blackhawks end of a good season. I did notice a lot of "fans" left the arena at that point, and that really makes me upset - those aren't true fans. I'm one of those fans that doesn't leave my seat until the very end - even after the 3 Star Selection unless it's to get food or go to the bathroom during intermission.

I'll say again - Congrats Yotes!

10+ Year Old Account
    Hawks really need to look at drafting a goaltender and a defensive player, or get them in free agency. Our offense is good, but we need to work on that PowerPlay, our defense is horrible and so are our goaltending, because Crawford is imo way to unstabile. Sometimes he plays really well, other times I just feel like we have no goalie at all. You need a wall in front of that goal to win the cup, Hawks didn't, all tho I would have hoped our offense would have destroyed the defense of Coyotes, and other teams, sadly that didn't happen and now we have to look forward to next year, hopefully it will be different, and we'll actually keep the spot in the top insted of losing what was it 14 games in a row?
    Oderint dum metuat.
    Success is dependent on effort.

15+ Year Old Account
    Daniel Alfredsson, Max Pacioretty, and Joffery Lupul are the Masterson nominees. Alfy for overcoming back surgery, Lupul for overcoming back surgery and a blood disorder, and Pac for some hit involving Chara that didn't get much media attention at all iirc.

GM of the Year is Poile for Nashville, Tallon for Florida, and Armstrong for the Blues. Tallon has to win this for his ridiculous complete rebuild of the Panthers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xevan View Post
    If the "team first" mentality is his real motivation that would be a very classy move. And there are so many teams out there that could really use someone like him (Toronto, Tampa anyone?).

15+ Year Old Account
    Raise your hand if you are surprised by this. Anyone? Ya that is what I thought. The fans have turned on him. The organization has turned on him. Why wouldn't he want to get the hell out of Dodge as soon as he is able? Hopefully he doesn't get stuck in an absolutely abysmal location like Columbus. No player deserves that fate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, classy move by Luongo. At least he finally gets out of the bipolar market known as Vancouver.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Raise your hand if you are surprised by this. Anyone? Ya that is what I thought. The fans have turned on him. The organization has turned on him. Why wouldn't he want to get the hell out of Dodge as soon as he is able? Hopefully he doesn't get stuck in an absolutely abysmal location like Columbus. No player deserves that fate.
    I think Tampa might be a real option. As far as I know his family lives in Florida, they could probably afford him, and they are missing a decent goalie to seriously compete again. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up wearing the Bolts jersey next season.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tampa can afford his contract as of next season, so it is a possibility.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anassi View Post
    I think Tampa might be a real option. As far as I know his family lives in Florida, they could probably afford him, and they are missing a decent goalie to seriously compete again. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up wearing the Bolts jersey next season.
    If Tampa can move Lecavalier's contract in exchange for Luongo I think you do it. The Lightning desperately need to find a way out from under one of the massive contracts on their team. Not sure if Vancouver would buy into that trade though. He could be a huge boost for them in the playoffs where he has been good his entire career.

Honest to god, I feel sorry for Luongo. Having lived in BC since I was 2, I've had to deal with the 90% retarded Vancouver fans, and no one deserves that fate. The 10% of them who are honest Hockey fans, I feel sorry at the fact you are surrounded by the others. Poor Luongo, had a great year, had a great first two games yet the team itself, is what let Vancouver and Luongo down. Yet, how much outrage from the fans are directed at the team? Maybe 3%? 97% is directed at him! For no reason! The Canucks couldn't buy a goal during the playoffs or the later half of the season. Yes, you won your last games, but for a team that is generally pretty good about the offense, you had 0 that you could count. Kesler went how long without a goal? Its one of the major reasons I can't stand the Canucks, not just the majority of the players, but its THE DAMN FANS THAT DRIVE ME UP THE WALL.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Tampa can afford his contract as of next season, so it is a possibility.
    They have the space to bring him in straight up, but good lord is that a lot of cap space tied up in about 5 players. They would have roughly $30 million ties up in Luongo, Vinny, Stamkos, St Louis, and Malone with all of those contracts last for a damn long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hawks need to fire Mike Kitchen and bring back John Torchetti, they also need to do re-haul the defense. I say keep Seabrook, Keith, Olson, and maybe Hammer... Oduya, O'Donnell, Lepisto, Montador, and Leddy all need to be tossed. Already resigned Emery and Crawfords contract goes for another season..so idk what we'll do there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    They have the space to bring him in straight up, but good lord is that a lot of cap space tied up in about 5 players. They would have roughly $30 million ties up in Luongo, Vinny, Stamkos, St Louis, and Malone with all of those contracts last for a damn long time.
    They need to move Vinny, his one good season got him 7.7M a season.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbles View Post
    Hawks need to fire Mike Kitchen and bring back John Torchetti, they also need to do re-haul the defense. I say keep Seabrook, Keith, Olson, and maybe Hammer... Oduya, O'Donnell, Lepisto, Montador, and Leddy all need to be tossed. Already resigned Emery and Crawfords contract goes for another season..so idk what we'll do there.
    Problem is that the Hawks have three "significant" contracts coming off the books this year, Oduya at $3.5m, Burnetter at $2m, and Morrison at $1.25m. Those combined with current cap space and estimated cap growth is only going to open up $11 million or so in cap space with a number of roster spots needing to be filled even without making upgrades. Probably going to take signficant trade action to bolster the Hawks at all barring any massive changes to the CBA.

But honestly, with the ridiculous parity in the West this year, couldn't you just see a small revolt inside the owners where the big clubs are sick of supporting the small clubs with revenue sharing which allows them to keep their best players and still compete without shelling out too much of their own money? Detroit, New York, Philly, Pittsburgh, and the Canadian teams are essentially paying for the Phoenix Coyotes to be in the second round. Chicago essentially paid a fair portion of the salary of the team that just knocked them out of the playoffs lol. I could see the NHL moving to the NBA model allowing big teams to spend significantly more if they so desire but with heavy financial penalties associated. Such a system would free up mad money for Chicago as they are one of the biggest markets in the NHL now.

Well biggest market until that team disappears into obscurity again. How many times has Detroit been called a fallen empire this week in the media? Does that even make sense? Detroit won the Cup in 2008, made the Finals the year after, made the second round the two years after that, and got knocked out the first round this year. Chicago won the Cup and got knocked out in the first round twice both times barely even making the playoffs. If Dallas doesn't completely blow it year before last Chicago doesn't even make the playoffs after winning the Cup. If the Pacific wasn't such garbage this year (or Calgary had a real team but that won't happen ever) Chicago would have been the 8th or 9th seed with the way they played this year. Not saying Detroit isn't slipping, because they certainly are, but the castle isn't exactly crumbling into ruin.

Speaking of Detroit, how about this trade Franzen nonsense? He didn't have a good playoff certainly, but how many guys in the NHL make a little over $135,000 per goal. Not per point, which is considered pretty good, PER GOAL. He made $136,000 per goal this year ($70,000 per point). Malkin made nearly $175,000 per goal, Stamkos $125,000, Ovie $250,000. Of the 35 players that scored 29+ goals this season, Franzen's $136,053 ranked 17th. Best value for the money guy in that group, Jordan Eberle at $34,069 per goal. Worst value Rick Nash $260,000 per goal or Ovie if you exclude Nash because he was on Columbus. It is insanely hard to get Franzen's production on Franzen's salary. Excluding guys on rookie contracts there are about a dozen players in the entire league that out perform him dollar for dollar. Why would Detroit trade him when you are getting great production at a replacement level salary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Juno86 View Post
    Honest to god, I feel sorry for Luongo. Having lived in BC since I was 2, I've had to deal with the 90% retarded Vancouver fans, and no one deserves that fate. The 10% of them who are honest Hockey fans, I feel sorry at the fact you are surrounded by the others. Poor Luongo, had a great year, had a great first two games yet the team itself, is what let Vancouver and Luongo down. Yet, how much outrage from the fans are directed at the team? Maybe 3%? 97% is directed at him! For no reason! The Canucks couldn't buy a goal during the playoffs or the later half of the season. Yes, you won your last games, but for a team that is generally pretty good about the offense, you had 0 that you could count. Kesler went how long without a goal? Its one of the major reasons I can't stand the Canucks, not just the majority of the players, but its THE DAMN FANS THAT DRIVE ME UP THE WALL.
    I had a guy at work blaming Luongo for the game 1 loss. Not the players for two consecutive Delay of Game penalties. Not Bitz for getting a 5 min major. Not the officials for the less deserved penalties. Nope, he blames the guy who made 36 saves, killed off a 5-3, and stopped the game from looking like Game 4 Pit-Phi. I asked him if he watched the game, and he admitted he didn't.

There seems to be a mentality that if Canucks lose with Luongo, it's Luongo's fault. If the Canucks lose with Schneider, it's the player's fault.

Not saying Luongo doesn't have his bad games, but he gets shit on during his good games too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    I had a guy at work blaming Luongo for the game 1 loss. Not the players for two consecutive Delay of Game penalties. Not Bitz for getting a 5 min major. Not the officials for the less deserved penalties. Nope, he blames the guy who made 36 saves, killed off a 5-3, and stopped the game from looking like Game 4 Pit-Phi. I asked him if he watched the game, and he admitted he didn't.

There seems to be a mentality that if Canucks lose with Luongo, it's Luongo's fault. If the Canucks lose with Schneider, it's the player's fault.

Not saying Luongo doesn't have his bad games, but he gets shit on during his good games too.
    "When in doubt, blame the goalie" seems to be a popular free time activity around sports fans worldwide, not only in hockey. This triples if the guy in question wasn't cheap. I'm German, so naturally soccer is big here, and I have a colleague at work too who blames every single bad thing that happens to his team on their goalkeeper. Even if he couldn't reach that shot with Go-Go-Gadgetto arms, he is supposed to magically get everything that comes flying in his general direction. And when he does that one awesome, almost impossible save that really busts his team out - then he is only doing his goddamn job and he deserves no praise for that. It's getting a bit tiresome.

I really feel bad for Luongo. He doesn't deserve that.