1. #15621
    The Lightbringer draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,636
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    question is, do they have anyone worth anything?
    who knows? somebody rescued from the panthers miasma might suddenly become a serviceable player

    the Kings dealt for Ellerby and he has at least been an adequate top 6 defenseman if not anything special

    Campbell would improve somebody's PP but as the article notes, his contract is horrible, there might be some other players like Mueller or Goc who weren't so bad before they went to Florida that would be acquirable

  2. #15622
    I am Murloc! Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Halifax, NS.
    Posts
    5,818
    Versteeg, and Fleischmann are both very good. Mueller if he could stay healthy could be a PPG player. Campbell is still a very good d-man, though very soft and my god, that contract. Kuba is a solid defensive d-man and Jovanovski though old, is still serviceable. They literally have a team filled with potential second liners.

    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

  3. #15623
    Moderator Stommped's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,945
    Dale Tallon is willing to listen to all offers because his club is virtually eliminated from the playoff race with only three weeks left to the April 3 trade deadline.

    Six points out of the No. 8 spot heading into Sunday's visit by the Montreal Canadiens
    Excuse me? I realize they aren't very good, but they weren't very good last year and still won the division and nearly beat the eventual Eastern Conference Champs. This is the NHL, anybody can beat anybody, the Jackets are currently on a 5 game win streak and I think most people would agree that this Florida team has more talent than them.

    Giving up when you are only 6 points out makes zero sense to me. Fight, claw, try to sneak into that 8 spot by the end of the year. That's what the Kings did last year and look what happened. This isn't the NBA where everybody in the Eastern Conference should be sellers because no one could beat Miami in a 7 game series. Anyone can beat anyone in a 7 game series in hockey, especially when you have a quality goaltender like Markstrom.

  4. #15624
    I am Murloc! Irony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Halifax, NS.
    Posts
    5,818
    Yeah the Flames always tried that strat. How'd that work out? =\

    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

  5. #15625
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Excuse me? I realize they aren't very good, but they weren't very good last year and still won the division and nearly beat the eventual Eastern Conference Champs. This is the NHL, anybody can beat anybody, the Jackets are currently on a 5 game win streak and I think most people would agree that this Florida team has more talent than them.

    Giving up when you are only 6 points out makes zero sense to me. Fight, claw, try to sneak into that 8 spot by the end of the year. That's what the Kings did last year and look what happened. This isn't the NBA where everybody in the Eastern Conference should be sellers because no one could beat Miami in a 7 game series. Anyone can beat anyone in a 7 game series in hockey, especially when you have a quality goaltender like Markstrom.
    The Panthers are living proof that you can suck and still make it into the playoffs, especially when your division is terrible. Carolina is leading that division by 9 points over the Panthers, and 8 for the Lightning and Caps, 3 over Winnipeg. Tampa Bay and Florida lack the depth/talent to make it into the playoffs. Dale Tallon is a moron if he thinks giving up picks for good quality players is the way to go, as the Flames for many years now and the Leafs prior to Burke have proven that that mentality won't solve how bad your team is as a whole.

    The Leafs and Canadiens didn't make the post season because they were both missing pieces last year. Now Montreal has a dynamite offense and a coach who can deal with the pressures of the Montreal media and bring out the best in his players. Toronto has a coach that has introduced a proven winning system to a team that had all the skill offensively last year, but horrible defensive play, an injured Reimer and a struggling Gustavsson who got ruined by Allaire, had them collapse after they were one of the top teams in the conference from October until late December. Washington also only made it because of that factor as well.

    In order for the Panthers to even make that 8th seed, they would have to go on a streak that would rival the streak of the Hawks this season. Every game would have to be won in regulation as well and they would have to pray that the Rangers just fall apart. It isn't going to happen though, the way the standings are in the East is pretty much how it is going to be for the playoffs I think. The only team with a significant winning streak right now is Pittsburgh but even Montreal has won 3 games in a row. And if you look at the schedule of a team like the Leafs, this week we have Winnipeg, Pittsburgh and Winnipeg, getting at least 4 points shouldn't be hard, which would further widen their lead over anyone hoping to make it into a playoff position. Washington, Tampa Bay, Buffalo and Florida are already statistically eliminated from the playoffs, there is no reason to make any trades unless you are going to build picks and draft well in the first round.

  6. #15626
    Moderator Stommped's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Washington, Tampa Bay, Buffalo and Florida are already statistically eliminated from the playoffs, there is no reason to make any trades unless you are going to build picks and draft well in the first round.
    I really just disagree with this completely. Take a look out all these teams who have turned their season around after the halfway point, STL was 9 pts down and dead last in the conference on Feb 1st and made the playoffs in 2009.

    http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3&postcount=22

    Maybe I'm in the minority but I just think 22 games is plenty to make up 6 points.
    Last edited by Stommped; 2013-03-11 at 09:24 PM.

  7. #15627
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    I really just disagree with this completely. Take a look out all these teams who have turned their season around after the halfway point, STL was 9 pts down and dead last in the conference on Feb 1st and made the playoffs in 2009.

    http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3&postcount=22

    Maybe I'm in the minority but I just think 22 games is plenty to make up 6 points.
    Getting 8 or 9 points just to try and catch up to Carolina for the division lead is pretty damn difficult and considering this season is all inter-conference games, making up that difference means every game from here until the end of the season would have to be won to even generate a tie or pass them. If the Canes get two or three more wins ahead of Washington, Florida and Tampa Bay, those teams will be eliminated because they won't be able to make up the points needed to get into the playoffs. Carolina is also 6-4-0 in their last 10 games, the Jets are 6-3-1, however all the other teams in the Southeast division have 2 or 3 wins in their last 10.

    I don't see any team in the Southeast division as being a playoff threat, none of them are really dangerous and they all are struggling. It seems silly to make trades in hopes of making the playoffs and that mantra has been proven to never work very well.

  8. #15628
    Fluffy Kitten conscript's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jonesville, Michigan
    Posts
    10,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Washington, Tampa Bay, Buffalo and Florida are already statistically eliminated from the playoffs, there is no reason to make any trades unless you are going to build picks and draft well in the first round.
    Hello. My name is math and I'm here to say what the fuck are you talking about? And by me, I mean Sports Club Stats:
    http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Eastern.html
    Tampa 26.6%
    Washington 13.8%
    Buffalo 1%
    Florida .1%

    Okay Ill give you Buffalo and Florida lol. Tampa still has far better odds of making than Philly (14.2%) and Washington isn't far off them.

    http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Western.html
    Columbus has a 5% chance of making the playoffs. If only they played Detroit every game they would skate into the playoffs.

    ---------- Post added 2013-03-11 at 06:56 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Getting 8 or 9 points just to try and catch up to Carolina for the division lead is pretty damn difficult and considering this season is all inter-conference games, making up that difference means every game from here until the end of the season would have to be won to even generate a tie or pass them. If the Canes get two or three more wins ahead of Washington, Florida and Tampa Bay, those teams will be eliminated because they won't be able to make up the points needed to get into the playoffs. Carolina is also 6-4-0 in their last 10 games, the Jets are 6-3-1, however all the other teams in the Southeast division have 2 or 3 wins in their last 10.

    I don't see any team in the Southeast division as being a playoff threat, none of them are really dangerous and they all are struggling. It seems silly to make trades in hopes of making the playoffs and that mantra has been proven to never work very well.
    And before you start counting on Carolina to do anything at all, they are 2-5-0 in their division. 2-5-0. They play Washington, Washington, and Tampa in their next 3 games. If they go 0-3-0 the division will be incredible tight. The Southeast is horrible, but no one is going to secure that thing for a couple weeks at least. Not going to disagree about making trades though. Unless you're a fringe team dealing an asset for future assets, you should never make a trade unless you are either actually one guy away from a Cup or you need to make the playoffs in order for your franchise not to lose $20 million ala Phoenix.
    Last edited by conscript; 2013-03-11 at 10:57 PM.

  9. #15629
    Moderator Stommped's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    If the Canes get two or three more wins ahead of Washington, Florida and Tampa Bay, those teams will be eliminated because they won't be able to make up the points needed to get into the playoffs.
    I really just don't understand your math here. Let's say the Canes win the their next 2 games, this puts them 13 points ahead of Florida with both teams having 22 games remaining. It would take a total of 7 of those 22 games remaining to make up that difference and take the lead back. Now Winnipeg would have to have a pretty mediocre stretc during those 7 games as well, but in no way is this mathematically impossible. 7 game win streaks and losing streaks are possible, and they would still have an extra 15 games on top of that as well.

    Buffalo will probably be the first team mathematically eliminated from the playoffs because the division is so out of reach, but that still can't technically happen for several games.

    If you are speaking realistically then yeah it probably isn't very likely for Florida to go 7-0-0 in their next 7 and Carolina 0-7-0 and Winnipeg 1-6-0 (maybe impossible with the scheduling) but regardless there isnt 7 games left in the season, there's TWENTY TWO. We aren't even in the neighborhood of mathematical elimination for Florida yet.

  10. #15630
    The Lightbringer draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Washington, Tampa Bay, Buffalo and Florida are already statistically eliminated from the playoffs
    I don't think that means what you think it means

    impossible and unlikely are two different things, don't say things are mathematically impossible when they aren't, its an absolute and no team has reached that absolute at mid-season

    and comparing the Kings to other 8 seeds is somewhat misleading, the Kings were as high as the #3 seed with just a few days left in the season, it was a tightly packed bunch and the Panthers aren't close to the same level of talent, Markstrom ain't Quick

  11. #15631
    Moderator Stommped's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,945
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    and comparing the Kings to other 8 seeds is somewhat misleading, the Kings were as high as the #3 seed with just a few days left in the season, it was a tightly packed bunch and the Panthers aren't close to the same level of talent, Markstrom ain't Quick
    Well true but that's only because the division was so competitive at low point totals. They were as high as a #3 seed but it's not like they plummeted all the way to the #8 seed; seeds 4, 5, and 6 were out of reach. But they didn't really just sneak in either, they were pretty comfortably in at least somewhere going into the last week of the season so that point is fair.

  12. #15632
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I don't think that means what you think it means

    impossible and unlikely are two different things, don't say things are mathematically impossible when they aren't, its an absolute and no team has reached that absolute at mid-season

    and comparing the Kings to other 8 seeds is somewhat misleading, the Kings were as high as the #3 seed with just a few days left in the season, it was a tightly packed bunch and the Panthers aren't close to the same level of talent, Markstrom ain't Quick
    That is kind of my point though, the Panthers don't have the talent to actually be a playoff team and they just got lucky winning a shitty division last year. The Leafs and Habs were both missing key components last year and missed on potentially making the playoffs. Montreal drafted those key pieces last year and with Markov healthy as well as acquisitions like Prust last summer, they are really playing some great hockey. Toronto isn't a slouch team either and could be a middle of the pack team going into the playoffs if everyone is healthy.

    It's not even about the numbers (numbers are only estimates, not reality), sure Tampa has some of the pieces to make the playoffs, but they would have to play extremely well and someone would have to dive bomb in the standings for it to happen and I can't see that happening. The top 8 are generally playing pretty well aside from New Jersey so if there is a team that is going to drop out of the playoff race, it's them and even then Winnipeg is closer to taking that spot anyway. None of the teams in the Southeast division are surging, and they would have had to start surging this week if they expect to have a chance at a playoff position. With all inter conference games, every game you lose against a team you are chasing for a playoff position is one less chance at making the playoffs. If you can't beat the teams ahead of you, there is no way you are getting in.

  13. #15633
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Getting 8 or 9 points just to try and catch up to Carolina for the division lead is pretty damn difficult and considering this season is all inter-conference games, making up that difference means every game from here until the end of the season would have to be won to even generate a tie or pass them. If the Canes get two or three more wins ahead of Washington, Florida and Tampa Bay, those teams will be eliminated because they won't be able to make up the points needed to get into the playoffs. Carolina is also 6-4-0 in their last 10 games, the Jets are 6-3-1, however all the other teams in the Southeast division have 2 or 3 wins in their last 10.

    I don't see any team in the Southeast division as being a playoff threat, none of them are really dangerous and they all are struggling. It seems silly to make trades in hopes of making the playoffs and that mantra has been proven to never work very well.
    With Carolina having lost Ward most likely for the season, I think that division is pretty much wide open. The Caps and the Lightning are probably the most likely teams to take it, just due to the skill they have on their roster. But, really any team could snag that spot with the way the whole division has been playing. I agree that whoever does end up in that spot probably won't go very far in the playoffs, but just making the playoffs can give your team some confidence heading into next season, and just give your players some valuable playoff experience. I don't necessarily think it's time for them to completely sell off right now. Obviously Markstrom is no Quick as Draynay said, but Markstrom does have a lot of raw skill, and if he can put it together with a few more starts, he can definitely backstop them to some wins.

  14. #15634
    The Lightbringer draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    3,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleik View Post
    Obviously Markstrom is no Quick as Draynay said, but Markstrom does have a lot of raw skill, and if he can put it together with a few more starts, he can definitely backstop them to some wins.
    he could get there, but I don't see it happening this year, this year he will get valuable experience

    also Jay Bouwmeester is a turnover machine, dayum

  15. #15635
    Bloodsail Admiral Garbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,010
    Blackhawks SI cover curse incoming...

  16. #15636
    Moderator Stommped's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,945
    How bout that shoot out attempt by Daugavins?

  17. #15637
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    1,922
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    he could get there, but I don't see it happening this year, this year he will get valuable experience

    also Jay Bouwmeester is a turnover machine, dayum
    Didn't catch the game but I heard on the radio it looked like they have just given up. Half assed effort all game long by everyone on the team. Michael Bachlund scored a pretty nice goal though which is good for the fuure, he's been very good. I feel a bit bad for Joey Mac he actually hasn't been as terrible as I previously complained about. Didn't look like those goals were really his fault more so defensive break downs. He's been really solid for us. Was really expecting TSN to give us an "F" on their mid season grades for teams last night. D+ along with Edmonton though, hollar!

  18. #15638
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Didn't catch the game but I heard on the radio it looked like they have just given up. Half assed effort all game long by everyone on the team. Michael Bachlund scored a pretty nice goal though which is good for the fuure, he's been very good. I feel a bit bad for Joey Mac he actually hasn't been as terrible as I previously complained about. Didn't look like those goals were really his fault more so defensive break downs. He's been really solid for us. Was really expecting TSN to give us an "F" on their mid season grades for teams last night. D+ along with Edmonton though, hollar!
    It was better than Saturday. First period was like Anaheim again, lots of chances, lots of shots, lots of hits and carrying the play but somehow gave up 2 greasy goals. Backlund was the best player on the ice monday for sure, his goal was brilliant and I almost, almost thought, that it would turn into another. They pretty much wasted the 2nd period though.
    "No more 1966. Lets splurge! Bring us some fresh wine! The freshest you’ve got, this year! No more of this old stuff."
    On Parole from Retard Rehabilitation since October 22, 2014.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Tradewind isn't helping.

  19. #15639
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleik View Post
    With Carolina having lost Ward most likely for the season, I think that division is pretty much wide open. The Caps and the Lightning are probably the most likely teams to take it, just due to the skill they have on their roster. But, really any team could snag that spot with the way the whole division has been playing. I agree that whoever does end up in that spot probably won't go very far in the playoffs, but just making the playoffs can give your team some confidence heading into next season, and just give your players some valuable playoff experience. I don't necessarily think it's time for them to completely sell off right now. Obviously Markstrom is no Quick as Draynay said, but Markstrom does have a lot of raw skill, and if he can put it together with a few more starts, he can definitely backstop them to some wins.
    Carolina has better offensive depth then Washington, and could match Tampa in terms of pure skill up front, but their blue line I would put on par with Tampa's. Washington's goaltending situation is a colossal mess, despite having a pair of goalies who have loads of potential.

  20. #15640
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Carolina has better offensive depth then Washington, and could match Tampa in terms of pure skill up front, but their blue line I would put on par with Tampa's. Washington's goaltending situation is a colossal mess, despite having a pair of goalies who have loads of potential.
    I was like half asleep when I wrote that, which is why I didn't go into depth at all. Without Ward, Carolina and Tampa are actually pretty even. Their blue line and goalie skill is close, Lindback has a higher ceiling than Ellis, but for this season they're similar. I disagree that Carolina quite matches Tampa in skill up front though. Carolina improved a ton during the offseason obviously, and I had actually originally picked them to win the division. But, I like Tampa's offense more than I like Carolina's. Carolina's not too far behind Tampa, there's only like a .3 goals per game difference. But, the fact is that Semin tends to be pretty streaky. He's absolutely on fire right now, but I don't see that lasting all season. Whereas Stamkos, Lecavlier, and St. Louis are all pretty damn consistent. Tampa's been on a slide lately, but I can see them coming out of their funk to make a strong second half playoff push.

    As for Washington, it's completely going to hinge on goalie play. If Holtby can just be more consistent, he can steal a hell of a lot of games for them just like he did last postseason. It completely depends on him though. If he isn't stellar, then yeah I agree with you that they can kiss their playoff hopes goodbye.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •